Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

Shopping for a King Aire

Hello Newmar owners!

I have a question that probably is gonna start a war! If your first coach was somwthing other than a Newmar, what was the reasoning for trading for a Newmar?

We currently have a 2015 Itasca Ellipse Ultra. We are thinking of trading next year for a King Aire. I'm happy with our coach now, since I have spent a year getting all the bugs worked out, but I almost despise driving it. It meanders down the interstate like the Mack dump truck I owned once that had a million miles on it.

I've seen all the videos and "pro" ad's about the comfort drive, but is it really "all that"? I do all the driving and a typical day for us is about 14-16 hours when trying to get from point a to point b.

Our current coach is really nice and we love it. We just want to "move up" since we are really liking the lifestyle. I'd hope the customer support would be good since one is paying more and I'd hope the coach would be in better condition straight from the factory. I always expect some kinks with a new product, but gee wiz, this Itasca liked to killed us getting them worked out not to mention the time it spent in the shop knocked us out of several trips.

Is my thinking incorrect or am I going down the right path? Also, second part of the original question, where is the dealer with the best stock on the lot? We've looked at several we seen and would like to do a side by side comparison. That is really hard since most dealers only get a few of the same floor plan but different color around my location, Tennessee. I'll probably buy from my dealer, but if possible we could plan a trip around going to a bigger dealer and looking at them better. And, if the money is right, they might make a sale, who knows.

Thank you for the replies in advance
Brent
stony30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #2

Hello
Your typical day is 14-16 hours driving! I take my hat off to you sir! I thought 10-12 hours was a long day. I have been a student of all things RV related for 20 years. I have also been subscribing to Motorhome magazine for many years. I study different models, mfg's, and certainly specs. I had excellent luck with both my first two coach's so I have only good to say about Fleetwood and Monaco. This last purchase led me to either a Tiffin, Winnebago, or a Newmar. Winny got eliminated because they don't have side radiator. Tiffin lost out as they were not represented in my area at the time. I will say I drove the Winny Tour when I was still shopping and I thought it drove like a dream. Yes I have also grown to appreciate the comfort drive and it really didn't jump out and grab me when test driving.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

We moved from our first coach, a flawlessly dependable 1997 American Eagle that we purchased from the original owner six years ago that I EXTENSIVELY updated and meticulously maintained. It was so good I refused my wife to update to something "newer" (meaning something used 10 or more years newer) as what I had was more dependable, had real leather, beautiful walnut cabinetry, etc. After years of research, I knew a brand new Newmar was the only way for us if we were to every upgrade. My only regret is that we bought off the lot instead of ordering and getting factory delivery. My emphasis is on factory delivery as the coach we bought off the lot was perfect for us in every way (colors, floor plan, recliners, etc). What in my opinion we missed in factory delivery was the week long tech assigned to the coach going through everything, making adjustments, fixing issues, etc., PLUS getting as flawless of a coach as possible - meaning no water spots from someone else washing it, no bug stains on the paint above the windshield because someone didn't care enough to wash them off completely, no fingerprint indentions in the bay door panel from someone not closing it by pushing only on the door's handle, no tiny scratch here and there, etc. IF you are a perfectionist and do not like lots of folks driving your coach, washing your coach, walking into your coach with dirty shoes, etc., FACTORY DELIVERY is a must and our only regret.

P. S. - water spots are easily removed with Meguiar's ULTIMATE Compound which is 100% non-scratching if you first completely clean the surface in advance of its application. It leaves an incredibly clean, swirl-less shine, ready for their Ultimate Liquid Wax that truly enhances Newmar's wonderful paint
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Shopping for a King Aire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stony30 View Post
Hello Newmar owners!

I have a question that probably is gonna start a war! If your first coach was somwthing other than a Newmar, what was the reasoning for trading for a Newmar?

We currently have a 2015 Itasca Ellipse Ultra. We are thinking of trading next year for a King Aire. I'm happy with our coach now, since I have spent a year getting all the bugs worked out, but I almost despise driving it. It meanders down the interstate like the Mack dump truck I owned once that had a million miles on it.

I've seen all the videos and "pro" ad's about the comfort drive, but is it really "all that"? I do all the driving and a typical day for us is about 14-16 hours when trying to get from point a to point b.

Our current coach is really nice and we love it. We just want to "move up" since we are really liking the lifestyle. I'd hope the customer support would be good since one is paying more and I'd hope the coach would be in better condition straight from the factory. I always expect some kinks with a new product, but gee wiz, this Itasca liked to killed us getting them worked out not to mention the time it spent in the shop knocked us out of several trips.

Is my thinking incorrect or am I going down the right path? Also, second part of the original question, where is the dealer with the best stock on the lot? We've looked at several we seen and would like to do a side by side comparison. That is really hard since most dealers only get a few of the same floor plan but different color around my location, Tennessee. I'll probably buy from my dealer, but if possible we could plan a trip around going to a bigger dealer and looking at them better. And, if the money is right, they might make a sale, who knows.

Thank you for the replies in advance
Brent

Hey Brent,
Another Tennessean here, although currently in the Florida Keys.

You should plan a trip to Tampa in January and go to the rally at the big Tampa Super Show. You can take your time and see all the coaches you are interested in several times. North Trails sells more Newmars than anyone else and they man the big Newmar display. I'm sure that they will have test drive coaches available. The show is so big that the ability to go back to the coach in the middle of the day is a beautiful thing. Plus it's cold in Cookville in January. I love Stroud's BBQ in Cookville.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:49 AM   #5

Nice suggestion and one worth doing. I'm gonna look into this extensively.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

I just left the Keys Saturday! We were at Blue Water Keys RV Resort for two weeks and loved it.

We are gonna try and go to several shows and ask a lot of questions in the shopping process.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2016, 07:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum before going to the show check this link and find some of the information needed for your KA.
The links below in my signature will have everything else for a Newmar coach and maybe a KING AIRE.
With CD you maybe good for 24 hours of driving, good luck in your hunt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Nice suggestion and one worth doing. I'm gonna look into this extensively.

Thanks

Here is a link:

http://www.frvta.org/show/florida-rv-supershow/

If you are going to the rally, you should sign up ASAP. They typically sell the rally out before Thanksgiving.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
LTL

We went from a 2015 Itasca Ellipse Ultra to a 2016 Essex. The Essex is so much easier to drive and much quieter. We were please with the Ellipse but went to the Tampa RV show last January and decided to go for the Newmar. Comfort Drive is amazing. We purchased at North Trails from John Wicks.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Hello Newmar owners!
...I've seen all the videos and "pro" ad's about the comfort drive, but is it really "all that"? I do all the driving and a typical day for us is about 14-16 hours when trying to get from point a to point b.
Also, second part of the original question, where is the dealer with the best stock on the lot? ...
Comfort Drive is everything it is claimed to be. We had a Mountain Aire with Comfort Drive and I enjoyed driving it. We then traded it for a Marathon on a Prevost H3 chassis. While the Marathon was a gorgeous coach that we loved, I missed the Comfort Drive. The Prevost drove well, but in cross winds, it was harder to handle than the Newmar with Comfort Drive. Not difficult, but it required more corrections.

We now have a King Aire and I can honestly say I enjoy driving it more than the Prevost.

As to stock on the lot, there are only three or four authorized King Aire dealers in the country. In the south, I believe your only choice is North Trail in Florida. My personal favorite for a King Aire is Transwest. They are in Colorado and also have a branch in Missouri. Great people to deal with - ask for Steve Petley.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Gluckman View Post
My personal favorite for a King Aire is Transwest. They are in Colorado and also have a branch in Missouri. Great people to deal with - ask for Steve Petley.
Agree! Purchased our Essex from Transwest 90 days ago. Also agree Steve is great! Steve is currently the sales manager. IF Steve has to refer you to a salesman, ask for Wade Stroh... No pressure, no bs, lots of knowledge, and years of experience.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

NOT trying to start a debate about which Newmar dealer is better, but FWIW, here is a link to a Newmar dealer's website with 6 KADB in stock. National Indoor RV Centers - RV Sale

EDIT: Sorry the link did not work as I expected. You'll need to use their search filter to get only the KADB page that I found and tried to paste here.

Good luck with your shopping. OBTW, I agree the TSS is the place to be.... if you can wait that long.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
...here is a link to a Newmar dealer's website with 6 KADB in stock. National Indoor RV Centers - RV Sale
Since there are no photos, I am guessing that these coaches aren't actually in stock. They. may be on order.

I wish there were a place where you could look at a bunch of King Aires, but you would be lucky to find just one at a dealership to walk through.

I wasn't trying to start a debate about dealers -- I happen to have personal experience with Transwest and it was very good - just wanted to pass that on. I also have friends who have bought from North Trail and they also had good experiences. Hopefully any dealer that Newmar has handle King Aires is at least above average.
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 AM   #14

You might see the most King Aires at the factory in Napannee - take the tour, watch how they build, walk thru coaches near completion, etc... then order your OWN King Aire like you want it - and yes, you can choose your own dealer to make the transaction happen, but then pick up your new home in Napannee - with the employees at your disposal for any minor corrections or needs before you leave.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote