Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStarLou View Post
New RV’er, trying to learn this stuff.
What options are there for plugging in at our home? Other than putting in a 50A RV receptacle which I will do if needed. I would like to be able to run and check out the systems, then possibly run an AC unit and refrigerator for a bit in preparation for leaving on a trip. I see all types of adaptors, dog-bones etc. online.
Thanks.
A 20 amp non-gfi circuit will work just fine for your stated required needs. If you have a 20 amp circuit in the garage say washer or something just tap off of that and remember not to use anything else while the ac is on. use a min #12 ga extension cord.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find correct wiring for 30 or 50 amp wiring in links found in this link for RV wiring.
Make sure its followed or you can destroy the electronics in your coach otherwise.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #31

Just install a 50amp service and get it over with, why peddled around? You end up doing anyway soon or later then you had twice, so do it right the first time IMHO.

Zzotte
Old 07-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchStarLou View Post
Wow! Absolutely amazed by the responses, thank you all.

Yeah, I think I'll go ahead and put in the 50A. Electrican's quote is $675, but he does have to run all the across the house, in the house. I would like to have everything in the RV working as I would at a park. Good guest cottage as well.

Thanks again.
Good decision. You never know when the AC in your house might go out or you need an extra bedroom. We slept in ours for 3 nights while a new AC was being installed last summer.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #33

50 amp circuit is the only way to go. Lets you use anything in the coach without worrying about tripped breaker and overheated wiring. Just my opinion.

Tags
power, shore power