Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Shore Power Cord Reel

Good Morning Everyone,

Just got done with kind of weird situation that I wanted to pass on.
On three separate occasions in the past two months, we have had our electrical supply interrupted to the coach causing us to invert.
The park had an electrician check both pedestals and confirmed them to be in good shape! After several conversations with Newmar, Transwest and a couple of Mobile Techs, everyone was in agreement that the transfer switch had failed. So, I bought an new transfer switch and Luke from Golden Mobile Rv came by to install it.
Turns out the transfer switch was good but the cord reel was bad and the cord was good. So we jerked the Cord Reel out. This is two cord reels is less than two years so as you can imagine, I'm done with cord reels.
Actually, there's tons of room in that space without it so I think it will be just fine.
All the best to you all,

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Must be lucky!

Wow! We must be lucky. After 15 years of RVing with a Winnie and now two Newmars, we have never had an issue with a cord reel. Now that I'm bragging, it will probably happen. Thanks for the information. It could save time and money in diagnosis.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

You bet, that's what I was thinking also!

Jeff
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

We had our cord reel on our 2016 DS 4369 replaced because of intermittent power outages. First we thought it was the progressive industries surge/fault suppressor. Moving the cord reel slightly brought the power back. I bought a male 50 amp it's and to install the next time we have the problem.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A couple of cord reel problems found in QT's # 3 ---- PROBLEM SOLVERS SECTION.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I crindged during CPU when my tech starting adjustung the cord length while the coach was drawing power.

I do not know if this may be a causal factor for premature cord reel failure, or not...but just like plugging in or unplugging the shore power. If there is a load present...sparks will fly. The heat combined with oxygen in the air causes the electrical contacts to oxidize. Oxidation creates total chaos...adding heat and resistance to the equation.

I am hoping that by not charging the breaker...until all connections are made and adjusted...I may prolong the service life.

Wish they made an easy service kit to replace contacts. Seems like a terrible waste to have to completly replace the component for wear.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

We had the same reel failure on our 2015 Dutch Star. On an emergency basis I was able to rotate the reel a bit and get power flowing through it again.
After having the whole reel assembly replaced under warranty, now whenever I plug in I make sure to check that I am indeed getting shore power rather than just running with the inverter on and then running the batteries down to nothing. If shore power is not coming through, unplug and turn the reel a bit, then plug back in and check again.
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power