Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Should I be concerned about storing MH outside in the Pacific Northwest

Storing Motorhome in the Pacific Northwest
After searching for a couple of months we have hopefully found a used coach we really like and if it passes inspection may purchase. I am beginning to think my original plan was ill thought out. We live in Alaska. I had planned to store the unit on the Olympic Penninsula April through October and use it November throughMarch. It would be stored at an rv storage facility. It would be covered, but not enclosed and heated. Last night I remembered how damp it is in the PAC NW and am now concerned about mold and mildew. Did a little search last night and read where mice can be another problem. There wouldn't be anyone that could periodically air it out, deal with mice and run the generator etc. Am I looking for trouble with this plan? Any recommendations from those of you in the PAC NW?
BTW, the reason I want to store it on the Olympic Penninsula is that my mother lives near by and we would be able to visit her one more time than usual each year. Thanks
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I cover and store my MH during the exact same time frame and I live south of Seattle. The relative humidity in Seattle during those months is about 45% a lot less than States in the southeast. The difference is that I do check on my MH during the summer as I live close by. However in checking I have never found a problem in ten years of storage. I do not have moisture damage certainly and the storage area where I keep it must have a good rodent protection because I have no evidence of rodent problems.

Problems can be averted by making sure you rig it for storage properly. Running Stabil in your gas and making sure the tank is full and then running the generator gets the stabil in the gas lines of the generator to protect it from varnishing. You can also shut the fuel supply off while the generator is running and "dry" the fuel lines that way.

Rodents are a problem if the area where you store it is close to their preferred environment. Mine is not, but rats are every where so I make sure there is nothing, absolutely nothing in the MH that would attract them. That means I clean it extremely well before I put it away and remove anything with an attractive odor. There is an entire lexicon of rodent protection enumerated on this website so do a search to find what others do.

Actually your storage plan is not too different from many people who own MH's here in the NW. Making sure you MH is prepared for storage is the key.

My question is why a MH? It seems you would only be driving it a few miles annually which is very hard on a motorized RV. Maybe a trailer or a fifth wheel would be better for you? If you did not have a vehicle to tow it you could pay someone to move it on site for you when you wanted to stay on the peninsula.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #3

ADCO cover. Works!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the reassurance nj. I guess the MH/5th wheel debate really never ending. Boils down to personal preference I guess. On our trips south we want to visit quite a few areas, staying about a week in each one. We do expect to be moving to Sequim full time in a year or two and would then be able to use the MH for shorter trips around the PNW.
KnightsWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

We winter in the desert and go back up to the Seattle area in late April through early October. Even though we get a lot of rain, storing an RV this time of year is no problem at all. Just make sure the roof is properly sealed and check annually.

Have never had a problem with rodents, but know people that have in other areas like California. Just take the precautions and you will not have a problem.

If I were storing a motorhome over a long period of time, I would certainly want to have it plugged in. So if your storage place does not have power, I would find another place.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #6

I recently visited Premier RV Storage in Junction City Oregon and was very impressed with their indoor storage facility. Not heated but totally enclosed and has optional electrical power available.

Storage « Premier RV
Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsWatch View Post
Thanks for the reassurance nj. I guess the MH/5th wheel debate really never ending. Boils down to personal preference I guess. On our trips south we want to visit quite a few areas, staying about a week in each one. We do expect to be moving to Sequim full time in a year or two and would then be able to use the MH for shorter trips around the PNW.
My daughter lives in Sequim, naturally we've been there a few times.
Our DSDP has lived all it's life outdoors here in the PNW with no problems other than having to knock the moss off in the spring!
The generator should be run for an hour or so each month to heat up the stator and knock the moisture off. That could be a problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote