Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #1

I found out this DOES NOT work, see my last Post. I put a sun shade in my shower dome for under $10 and 45 minutes of work and thought some of you would find it useful. I spent the last two days trying to figure out how to post the photos.With MonacoMoma's help i think I may have it.
The hooks $2.84 Placement of hooks 24"X22" Sun Shade Finished product
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #2

I found out this DOES NOT work, see my last Post. I put a sun shade in my shower dome for under $10 and 45 minutes of work and thought some of you would find it useful. I spent the last two days trying to figure out how to post the photos.With MonacoMoma's help i think I may have it.
The hooks $2.84 Placement of hooks 24"X22" Sun Shade Finished product
Old 06-18-2008, 01:14 PM   #3

Bruce, where did you get/what did you use for the sun shade itself? Where did you find the hooks you used?

It looks great, as this is a huge place for heat to radiate in during the summer.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #4

Hi John, I bought the Hooks at WalMart and the Aluminum sun shade at True Value. They sell it by the foot in 2 or 4 foot rolls. I bought 2 feet and cut to 22"X24" The 22" way sets on the hooks. I did add duct tape to the ends across the 22" way to make it more durable. In fact I bought a 4'X10' piece for my front windshield. I also have a piece in the side door window. Anything you can do to cut down on this Arizona DRY heat is a big help.
Bruce H
Old 06-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Bruce,

Out of curiosity, do you have any concern about the heat that gets trapped between the foil sun screen and the plastic skylight dome causing a problem with the plastic dome? Either melting or deforming?

I'd be worried that trapping the heat would be a problem.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 AM   #6

Hello John, It is not as tight to the dome plastic as it appears, so there is enough room for some heat to escape. Has not been a problem.
Bruce H
Old 06-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Bruce,

Good to know. Keep us in the loop if that changes!

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #8

UPDATE on the Sun Shade. John your concern on the heat being trapped was right on. After a few days of this AZ 104 degree heat the inner dome (there are two, inner and outer) apparently trapped the hot air and pulled the inner dome down, So I took the shade out before it did anymore damage. I do not suggest doing this to keep the heat out. I will edit my post. Thanks John.
Bruce H
Old 06-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #9

I put a foam plug in my shower bubble. It also caused the inner piece to deform. After it was replaced, two years ago, I spray painted the outside of the dome. I used gray/silver color paint meant for plastic application. It matched the color of my air condition shrouds. It still lets light in, but eliminated most of the heat.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce H:
UPDATE on the Sun Shade. John your concern on the heat being trapped was right on. After a few days of this AZ 104 degree heat the inner dome (there are two, inner and outer) apparently trapped the hot air and pulled the inner dome down, So I took the shade out before it did anymore damage. I do not suggest doing this to keep the heat out. I will edit my post. Thanks John.
Bruce H </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bruce,

Hope I didn't jinx you!

Glad you caught it before it completely ruined the skylight, though. Sounds like Tom's idea of painting the outside would work better... stop the heat before it even gets inside. The Krylon Fusion spray paints (or a generic equivalent) should adhere nicely to the plastic (if clean). Maybe they even have a silver/metallic one that would help reflect more heat & light.

Thanks for updating us!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
It's not exactly permanent, but what about taping some sheets of aluminum foil to the outside of the skylight on the roof? Would certainly keep out all the heat (and light, though) so things would stay cooler inside.

Again... not a permanent solution, but could work for the short term.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 AM   #12

Sounds like Tom's idea may be the best. In fact my DW suggested this to me and I said I don't think it would work. Maybe we should listen to them a little more often.

Bruce H
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #13

I used blue, 2" wide, painter tape and taped over the screw and sealant area. Then used newspaper to cover the roof out board of that. It was very easy. I would recommend a spray paint used for plastic applications, in white,light gray,silver or any lighter color. This lets plenty of light come through.
Mine looks just as good now as the day I painted it.
I put the smoke color vent covers over my 2 vents to eliminate much of the heat coming from those areas. I started off using foam plugs in them. The arm on my fantastic vent, attaching the motor to the cover, broke loose.
It was probably caused by the heat build up, so I stopped using those foam plugs also.
I use a roll of 48" high foil covered bubble wrap for the front windshield. It is a bit short of the height of the windshield. It ends behind the upper w/s cabinets, so it blocks out all the light and still has the upper area to let some of the heat escape.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce H:
Sounds like Tom's idea may be the best. In fact my DW suggested this to me and I said I don't think it would work. Maybe we should listen to them a little more often.

Bruce H </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bruce,

LOL! You're right... NEVER underestimate the inherent, intuitive intelligence of our better halves!