Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't order them but, I know they can be added aftermarket. Having been in several high glare situations, night and day, would those that have them say they are worth it?
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't order them but, I know they can be added aftermarket. Having been in several high glare situations, night and day, would those that have them say they are worth it?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I have mixed feelings on mine.

They also are less dependable in high glare situations than in ideal conditions.

It's one more thing to look at when changing lanes, keeping your eyes off the road in front of you.

Also in a bright day, with my sunglasses on, it's hard to see the monitor.

However, they are not that expensive, so I would probably get them again.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

While they certainly have become a popular option, anyone that is familiar with how to use both the upper and lower side mirrors, along with the rear camera would have little or no trouble adjusting to life without them.
When I pull the hauler trailer I had a camera off back of the trailer and kept it toggled on and disabled the auto-switching to the side cams and I never missed them.... Dirk is right, it's just one more reason to take your eyes off the road and in most instances I'd rather see the rear of the coach the entire time.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #5

I also would say they are not really needed or necessary. People want them anyway, so resale may benefit. But, loving all the gadgets as I do, it's another.

Peter
Old 01-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But, loving all the gadgets as I do, it's another. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fellow gadget freak.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #7

My 1 cent worth.

Sideview cams: Functionally worthless. I have them and have never used them, played a lot with them, never use them. This is after 19,000 miles with them as a solo. You really can not see anything. BTW the option is not cheap.

Remote rearview cam: A must have, especially if solo driving.

Additional dedicated monitor on dash: A must have. Get the rear cam/side cams wired to it. Run a second feed line from rear cam to the AV2 input on it so you can always have a rear view even if the sidecams are activated on AV1.

VORAD w/SmartCruise: As essential as Comfort Drive.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mr. Dude,

Could you please stop sugarcoating your opinions.

Thanks for the honest feedback. The mirror mounting on my yr/model coach is prone to glare, night and day. Just testing the waters on a possible solution.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:48 PM   #9

OK, no more sugar... I'll just have to tell it like I sees it.

Now, where are those pesky umbrellas for those sugar coated beverages!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #10

Scott,
I would not miss them if I did not have them. I look at them sometimes when the glare in the driver's side mirror is overwhelming, but I'm like others who have said they don't like looking down at a monitor when you should be keeping your eyes on the road.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #11

Not necessayr if your mirrors cover properly! On our last coach could have used them as there was a blind spot. On my present coach we have them but not necessary as my mirrors cover everything-no blind spot.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Scott, you've said a mouthful and don't even know it....

Newmar really needs to scrap the "hang from the top" mirror design and mount them from the lower arms...
Much less glare from this position....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #13

Side cameras are nice to have but not worth the expense. I use the rear camera when pulling my Suburban to determine if I am clear to pass. Then just the mirros. Newmar has replaces all of side cameras since condensation fogged the lenses. Use your mirrors, just make sure they are postioned properly.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #14

On our 08 Mountain Aire the side cameras came standard with their own separate monitor. For me they provide just one more quick check when changing lanes and also help overcome the occasional glare problem with the high-mounted mirrors (which I don't like at all). Not a problem taking a quick glance at the monitor; no more distracting than a momentary look at the mirrors – sort of like a fast scan of the instruments in planes I've flown.

Agree that most important thing is having the mirrors set correctly, but truth is, I'd get the side cameras again on the next coach. They're a safety plus as far as I'm concerned.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote