Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #29

Gonna miss you Bob, But, understand the situation. Enjoy your "new" life and somewhere we will cross paths.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #30

Rebelsbeach,
Sorry to see you leave this site. You will be missed, we have been lurkers for a long while and always enjoyed your posts and input. Don't see why anyone would take offense to anything you have stated. You have been helpful to so many people!!....

On the other hand if your life is going in a new direction Good for you! Live, Laugh, Love!
Take care and God Bless, Larry & Naomi
lnwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally posted by BigRigRVing:
First I would like to say I expected this to happen. I have had 23 e mails about side wall issues not all Newmar owners of those 23, 11 told me in there e mail they do not post here any longer because of some of the regulars.
Sorry you feel this way. I also post on many sites and must say that the chance of being flamed by someone of differing opinion and cut off by a moderator because of their personal agenda are far less here. It seems to me that unless folks step way over the line they have a pretty free reign. Well again sorry you feel this way and hope to keep seeing you post here.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetsmania:
Hi Larry! Welcome to the forum! I would call Newmar and talk with them. I would remind them they dealt with your roof and explain to them what is happening to your coach. If they start to act like they will not help, I would tell them that you have heard about other coaches being repaired with the same problem. They may help you. Let us know how you make out. Paul
Hi Paul, I might have mentioned some of this in a previous post but here is an update on our sidewall situation...
We pointed this out while we were under warranty and we were aware of
checking as it happened on our 03 Ductchstar. Newmar did replace the
sidewalls on the 03 for that reason. At that time we weren't even aware that
there was a problem. The problem with that was when these coaches are put together
they are not designed to be pulled apart. On our 03 some of the studs were
ripped and bent from the fiberglass being pulled off the walls. The first
attempt did not turn out well and was not acceptable, so they redid it for a
second time and it looked better than the first attempt. Some of the aluminum
studs in the walls had to be replaced and straightened to take the waviness
appearance out of the sidewalls.
When we pointed the checking out on the 06 we were told that was no longer
an issue and not to be concerned about it, that they were just hairline
scratches under the clear coat and that they had changed fiberglass suppliers.
Newmar took the coach into the highline building and we were also dazzled with an awesome cut and buff that looked fabulous. But, to our dismay.... those check marks came back to haunt us 9 months later along with their friends!!
We spoke with Newmar about this and they refuse to do anything with our coach because we are out of warranty. We really appreciate everything Newmar has done for us, but as for this situation, we feel we were definitely cheated and lied to. They are not willing
to stand behind it at all.
As per our last conversation with Steve Klotz and Matt Utley, they told us
that they decline to work on our coach and to do whatever we feel we need to
do after we mentioned possibly taking legal action. They did not seem to care if the situation would escalate and cause Newmar more problems. With the RV industry struggling as it is, that does not seem to be a very wise decision.
This past weekend we stopped by a NKK rally and met some very nice people.
Come to found out there are more people in the same situation as us. They were
unaware that they had any checking on their units until we brought it to
their attention. They were shocked and disappointed, as one of them had already
been through this also. The regional director thought that this situation should be brought to Mr. Millers attention. As Steve Klotz and Matt Utley stated that Mr. Miller was already aware of it and trusted their judgment 100%.
Some of the checking is hard to see at first, If anyone has any questions
about the checking, or any questions on what to look for on the fiberglass roof with roof leaks please feel free to call. We definitely have experience in these matters and
know what to look for. 509-991-1524

Regards,
Larry & Naomi
2006 MTN AIRE 4304
Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #33

Larry and Naomi,

I have had over 60 request for help and questions about checking. I am sorry to hear you are still having issues. We will be back at Newmar on the 22nd of Sept since our new walls are separating from front nose cap. I have printed the e mails and and plan to take them to my appt. with Mr Miller on the 22nd. I would hope he will do the right thing, but if not I will feel better and there will no question that he knows there is a problem and customers are being short changed.

05 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304
BigRigRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Larry and Naomi,

I have had over 60 request for help and questions about checking. I am sorry to hear you are still having issues. We will be back at Newmar on the 22nd of Sept since our new walls are separating from front nose cap. I have printed the e mails and and plan to take them to my appt. with Mr Miller on the 22nd. I would hope he will do the right thing, but if not I will feel better and there will no question that he knows there is a problem and customers are being short changed.
Thanks Gary and Cheryl. We hope your meeting goes well. We did not get to speak with Mr. Miller, we tried to but he had Matt and Steve call us and they told us that he wanted them to handle us. We ran into Maylan in the corporate parking lot and mentioned a bit of our story to him. He mentioned to us that he really isn't involved with very much anymore, but that he would have Matt contact us. We told him that we were already talking with Matt Utley. He said No, Mathew my son. He took our card and said that Mathew would be contacting us. Later that afternoon, we got a phone call from Steve Klotz stating that he and Matt Utley would like to meet with us the following morning. We met and they told us that they had heard we ran into Maylan. We mentioned that Maylan said that he would have his son Mathew contact us. Matt Utley said hhmmm, Maylan must have had amnesia that day.... So, after 2 months at camp Newmar, to make a long story short Matt and Steve hit us with an offer to repurchase at a ridiculously low price or to switch us out with a new plain stripy model Dutchstar . ( Don't know if you've seen the new Dutchstars or not, but they are definitely not what they used to be...) They wanted to charge us for any upgrades and some upgrades that only come on a MTN AIRE they would absolutely not put into a Dutchstar. So, everything we loved about our coach we would have had to forfeit and downgrade. Which as you know is kind of hard to do. The other option was to keep our MTN AIRE on the assurance that everything would be fixed correctly to our satisfaction and we would live with the existing water damage that they had repaired. Matt and Steve knew that our biggest fear was having problems with our sidewalls. They insured us that we would not have any problems with the paint or sidewalls. They even brought in one of the head painters from the highline building and he also reinsured us that we would not have any problems with the sidewalls. So, at that point we trusted them and their judgement. Low and behold what a mistake that was! If we would known this was going to happen, we would have downgraded to the Dutchstar. But, now looking back that was their out to get us to keep this coach. One of the other reasons we really didn't want to get into another unit was because of all of the downtime we had to endure between the 03 and the 06. The sad thing is, that everything was to be taken care of, which it wasn't as those checking marks we pointed out are still there and getting worse. Newmar is not willing to help and they are refusing to even work on it. It's like someone else mentioned in an earlier post, that they make us feel like it's our fault that these things are going wrong and we are the bad guy.
But, we have to ask are you serious that they are putting the same defective walls on that they take off when they are still doing these sidewall replacements after all of these years??
We did see an 07 that we took pictures of where the sidewall was also coming apart at the front cap. Didn't look good that's for sure. Was also coming unglued from the studs on the sidewalls. Funny thing is, we pointed out on the display Dutchstar, at the factory to Steve Klotz that the sidewalls were separating on the new unit. Unfortunately, some poor guy is going to end up with it. ( Or, already has it!) Hope all goes well with your visit. Let us know what happens.

Larry & Naomi
2006 MTN AIRE 4304
Old 09-20-2008, 04:27 AM   #35
ET

Just for the record on this thread, we also have sidewall checking in the paint on our 2002 DutchStar DP.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #36

Quote:
I have printed the e mails and and plan to take them to my appt. with Mr Miller on the 22nd
Hi! Good luck with your meeting. Please let us know how it goes. Paul
Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 PM   #37

I will keep everyone posted after meeting, the point of meeting for me is so that there is no more question that everyone from the top to the bottom know they have issues and need to try to do the right thing and to get offical statement to my summer at Newmar before I post my Newmar experience on my website (small only a 1000 hits a week).
Larry and Naomi, I am sorry about how you are being treated, but please tell all your friends!
Word of mouth is the best advertising!

The highline paint foreman is the one that looked at our coach and told us it was as good as they could do, you know sand, orange peel, and hand prints. Good news is the other paint shop is now closed, and what made me smile the most was the 2 or 3 King Air Buses sitting at Camp Newmar today with primer on them, one of the buses was here when we were here in July. So it is not just those of with "lowline" coaches.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #38

Quote:

Good news is the other paint shop is now closed, and what made me smile the most was the 2 or 3 King Air Buses sitting at Camp Newmar today with primer on them, one of the buses was here when we were here in July. So it is not just those of with "lowline" coaches.
There are two King Aires currently at Camp Newmar, but only one has primer on it. We were here in July for our PDI. Our paint is fine, except for the scratches/scrapes put there by FlyingDiver.

Sue <---will probably put a few more scratches on the 'Big Bus' once I learn to drive it.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #39

Gary & Cheryl,

Larrys mission now is to travel from park to park and watch for every Newmar we see to let them know what to look for and to help them get their issues covered while they are still in warranty. Which he will continue to do. He told Matt and Steve that this would happen if they did not step up to the plate and help us out on this. As he said, he is a man of his word. As with you we spent one summer plus another in our Newmar Experience. Funny that you call it that, we actually have a print out titled "Our Newmar Experience!" which we haven't released yet. The good thing about all of this is job security for warranty service employees. Which we all know work very hard at their jobs and many times would like to repair things in a way that they are not allowed to.

We agree with you about word of mouth being the best form of advertisement. We will also continue to do so. For the small investment it would cost Newmar to replace our sidewalls doesn't seem to be a very wise decision on their behalf, considering the possibility of lost sales in the near future, which will also affect their dealers. People always seem to ask how we like our coach as we get a lot of compliments on our coach and trailer. We have always spoke very highly of the Newmar product and we know we have helped promote many sales by showing our coach. Until now, by Steve Klotz and Matt Utley telling us to do whatever we feel we need to do.... We will. It doesn't sound to us that they are looking out for Newmars best interests. Now, when people want to see our coach, we will pass out our new little hand book for them to read before they consider making a purchase.

Larry & Naomi
2006 MTN AIRE 4304
Old 09-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #40

Larry and/or Gary

Do you have ant Pics of the 'checking'???

I have an '05 KS and have not found anything on mine. So far.

It has been looked at by 2 techs in Nappanne and by other owners Some that had the issues.

In my case I hope I am one of the Lucky ones and it will not show up BUT I am not so sure.

On the Coaches with the checking have you found these rigs were based in the sunny/hot areas of the Country??? or were stored in the direct sunlight???

Rick
Old 09-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #41
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Warranty is over tomorrow (09.22.).
I just had a few "little" points, my walls are ok, that I wanted to point out to the office, so - I phoned...a NOT so friendly voice answered... just told "him" the few small points and started to look at other manufacturer.......b4 I was thinking of getting a DP from Newmar.....only, but after reading this here........? Everything is open.
My Eyes are tired from reading all the bad news... maybe I keep my stick and brick place...
and go just around the corner!!! until I find the right MH from a customer friendly Manufacturer and DEALER.

Keep smiling
TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #42

We are full timers who sit less then 2 weeks anywhere we go, well excpet Nappanee. So I do not think it is a sunny or heat issue, but with all fiberglass issues neither heat or sunny light help. I will say this it does show up on the dark colors first, looks like a little cat scratch at first then you can feel what feels like a pimple under the skin. I do not have pictures, sorry, before all this I did not think it would become such an issue. Boy was I wrong!