Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #71

Nathan, maybe this will refresh your memory...
Larry

Quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Focht:
There is a theory in business that you should drop your 10% highest cost clients every year. The thought is that you cost a business more as a client than you do as an enemy. I like to think that I do not do this in my business but I guess we all do in some way. The only other thought I would have is to start a group of people with the same issue to get a louder voice unified.
lnwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #72

pictures of checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
OK... not to sound stupid, or resurrect a very painful topic... but what, if anything, is the end result of the spider cracks/checking that occurs on the dark colors? Fiberglass is a pretty dense conglomeration of fibers and epoxy that should be relatively impervious, even if the skin "cracks"... so, does the cracking end up going all the way through the fiberglass? Or is there risk of water-penetration into the fiberglass causing some form of delamination?

I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is whether or not the cracking is purely cosmetic... or structural. Cosmetic is a bummer. Structural is a real problem.

Thoughts? Facts? Better yet, pictures?
Here are some pictures of what the checking looks like. It starts out in the darker areas and progressivley spreads over the entire coach.

Larry & Naomi
2006 MADP 4304
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badpaint1-thumb.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	237   Click image for larger version

Name:	badpaint2-thumb.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	238  

Old 04-06-2009, 10:41 AM   #73

Larry,

That is NOTHING like the people I have seen complaining of checking. I understand the anger you have more now. All of the ones I have seen in person would not have appeared in a picture like that.

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The two pictures look to me that the fibers were showing before the clear coat was applied. If you run your hand over area will you get splinter pricks in your hand?
This discussion does not help in resolving the issue, where has it progressed for the people involved as of now.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #75

Our previous MH, a 03 Itasca did the same thing. The sidewall was not properly made , the top coat of gel was too thin and the fibers came through. Winne. rep. said this is a common thing and agreed to fix the exterior with new paint and clearcoat. Ours was white so the match was easy.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #76

"Back Up Pattern Showing Through Gel Coat
This visual pattern is caused by too low a gel coat thickness or the gel coat was not properly cured."
Just food for thought , this from a fiberglass site.
and can you feel the mat ?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #77

Larry

How long is the Transition from First noticed to a Real mess!!!

I have a '05 KS and so far nothing but I am not holding my breathe!!!

I was in Napanee last year and 2 others were there getting walls replaced a '05 MA and a'04 KS. They both checked mine out and No problems!!

I am not sure why they do some and not others!!!

How goes the Battle on your end????

Rick
Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #78

PS

I saw a couple of Monacao's a Navigator and a Dynasty with the same issues!! It is not Newmar specific!!!!

Rick
Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
The two pictures look to me that the fibers were showing before the clear coat was applied. If you run your hand over area will you get splinter pricks in your hand?
This discussion does not help in resolving the issue, where has it progressed for the people involved as of now.

No, you do not get splinter pricks. There are no fiberglass hairs coming through. They check (small cracks) then raise. The finish was as smooth as glass at one time. Again this is not in just one small area, this is the entire 43ft. coach. Including the slides. As far as resolving the issue, it may help out others that are still within warranty, so they don't get stuck in the same position as we are... As far as progress, it has helped out some and others not. Newmar seems to pick and choose who they are willing to help.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
Larry

How long is the Transition from First noticed to a Real mess!!!

I have a '05 KS and so far nothing but I am not holding my breathe!!!

I was in Napanee last year and 2 others were there getting walls replaced a '05 MA and a'04 KS. They both checked mine out and No problems!!

I am not sure why they do some and not others!!!

How goes the Battle on your end????

Rick
Rick,

There really isn't a specific transition time. The heat from the sun seems to play a big factor in it. It seems it's just a matter of time before it starts happening, as the old saying goes. TIC TOC-TIC TOC. I have seen some that don't have checking, then 4 or 5 months later they do. As far as the battle goes?, at this point Newmar refuses to do anything even at our expense. It's not just us, there are others too. Again, as I mentioned earlier, Newmar seems to pick and choose who they are willing to help. I've heard from others that some have been quoted 6-7K, some 25K and others they refuse to do at all..??

Rick, I wish you the best of luck and hope it doesn't happen to you, Or anyone else!!

Larry