Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Unhappy Sirius Radio 2012 Canyon Star

I have just purchased a 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 with a Jensen Sirius XM Radio. I found the paperwork with the radio ID and added it to my subscription. Unfortunately, I have been unable to tune the radio to receive the Sirius satellite stations. The prior owner never subscribed to the satellite so it hasn't been used for at least 3 years. Any idea on how to troubleshoot this or can anyone point me in the right direction for help?
medicgirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
When you tune the radio to Sirius, do you get the music preview?
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 AM   #3

I had a similar problem, did a factory reset on the radio and it worked.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicgirl81 View Post
I have just purchased a 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 with a Jensen Sirius XM Radio. I found the paperwork with the radio ID and added it to my subscription. Unfortunately, I have been unable to tune the radio to receive the Sirius satellite stations. The prior owner never subscribed to the satellite so it hasn't been used for at least 3 years. Any idea on how to troubleshoot this or can anyone point me in the right direction for help?
Be aware, the XM folks are not the brightest bulbs on the tree. Also, it is easy to mistake an "S" for a "5". Call them up and have them send a reset signal to the radio. Also, you may want to verify that the XM radio antennae is hooked up. As mentioned above, you should get the preview channel, subscription or not. Also, if your coach is indoors (garage or storage) you probably won't get a signal.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #5

LA Gulf Coast Campers
And don't accept their first subscription price, you should be able to get "family friendly " package for around 5 bucks a month. You may have to talk to the "cancellation" rep to get the deal. I've done this the last three times my subscription has come close to the end. They like to play games.

There are only three "stations" we listen to, 40's, radio classics, the blend so 5 bucks a month per receiver is about what I feel it's worth, especially when we have three receivers.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #6

Sorry for the delay in response it got very cold here in Maine and I had to park the RV in the backyard where it got snowed in and I was unable to get to it. I tried the factory reset and still nothing. Also, it does not show any satellite stations as an option. I think the antennae might be disconnected. Should I start looking on the roof? I'm not sure where the antennae would be located? Suggestions?? I'm thinking about calling someone who services/sells these RVs to get a little more insight on how the radio works as well as the other electronics. Having trouble with DVD players and TV as well.

Ruby
Old 04-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

No I don't get the preview option. I just noticed you are in Caribou. I did a six week pharmacy rotation last fall at Cary Medical Center. Beautiful area up there!!

Ruby
Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Ruby - I agree with others that you shouldn't assume just because the radio is "satellite ready" that the RV was built with Satellite prep, i.e, with an antenna on the roof and a wire running down to the rear of the radio. Assuming you bought the CS used, did you get the original build sheet? If so, look for an option labeled something like "satellite prep."

If you have access to the roof, the XM satellite antenna is a small, squarish "bump," it's not like a radio antenna. it would probably have four short strips of Eternabond on each side to hold it down. Would probably be installed in the left or right front of the roof as they would run the wire down the A pillar by the windshield to back of the radio.

Lastly, I agree with the others to negotiate with the XM customer service reps, they are/can be pretty aggressive but will quickly offer you a better price if you seem as if you're walking away.

Good luck and enjoy your new-to-you Canyon Star!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a suggestion. Rather than pay for the subscription for the motor home, buy a portable unit. They're about $30.00. When I working, I had one portable that I moved from my boat, to my motorcycle to my work car and my personal car.

I let that subscription die out when I retired and sold the motorcycle and boat. I just kept the subscription connected to the motor home radio. Fast forward to 4 weeks ago, I bought a new pontoon boat. You never get good reception on the water, so I bought two portable units. You can buy them with the radio head or without, but the difference is about $2.00, so I bought the complete unit and will save the extra head in case I break or lose the first one.

I mounted one of the units in my toad, 2016 Canyon, and the second on the boat. I'm currently paying for two subscriptions. When the motor home subscription expires, I'll add another portable unit to it and just move the radio head around. For $90.00 you can buy three portable units and pay one subscription, which is cheaper than a second subscription. The radio heads just lift off when you want to move it to another vehicle. I find this a good way to go, since you only use the motor home or boat occasionally, but I'm in my daily driver, which is also my toad, everyday.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #10

If you have the XM-Ready or capable radio, you still need the XM option to make it work. That option has a small unit that plugs into the back of the radio as well as the antenna to make it work. If you can look at the back of the radio, you will be able to verify that it is or isn't there. If it's not there, it's an easy add on. The toughest part being the antenna.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #11

There is a good chance that the antenna is located under the front cap. The first thing I would check is the back of the radio to see if an antenna wire is connected to the radio. Then back trace the wire to the antenna. If there is a TV or other access in the front of the coach near the ceiling, check there and see if you can find the antenna. If there is no antenna, you have found the problem. Just hit Amazon, order one, and install it. I personally would recommend putting it on the outside of the top of the front cap. With the factory installed location on my coach, if I am traveling NE the AC unit can block the signal. Irritating.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"BPoland".....Many years ago, when I installed a new Pioneer radio in my Diplomat, I had to buy that add on unit to get XM. When we bought the Dutch Star three years ago, I went on line and started to buy the XM unit so my Clarion in the Dutch Star would get XM. Something told me to wait. I found that in the past few years, radios that say XM ready, don't need the additional XM units, like they did in the past. The Clarion in the DS was ready to go, just call XM and have them send the signal. Dang stuff keeps changing.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"BPoland".....Many years ago, when I installed a new Pioneer radio in my Diplomat, I had to buy that add on unit to get XM. When we bought the Dutch Star three years ago, I went on line and started to buy the XM unit so my Clarion in the Dutch Star would get XM. Something told me to wait. I found that in the past few years, radios that say XM ready, don't need the additional XM units, like they did in the past. The Clarion in the DS was ready to go, just call XM and have them send the signal. Dang stuff keeps changing.
Don,
I agree. Being in the tech field, I gave up trying to keep up. Something about old dog, new tricks. These days I'm just trying to survive until retirement. A little over 1,200 days, but who's counting. As for the radio already having everything it needs to receive XM radio, if he selects the XM band on his radio, if all he requires is an activation signal (subscription) then he should be able to tune to channel 0 and see the radio code. That is the code he needs to give the XM folks when he signs up. He should also be able to see the preview channel. If he can't do any of that, then the radio isn't XM capable out of the box and will require the additional unit that you described. That's how it is on our 2014 Bay Star. I know that for a fact, since I have replaced our dash radio while under warranty myself. Now that is on a Bay Star, not a Canyon Star. That's why I suggested looking at the back of the radio if possible. That may answer the question.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here is a suggestion. Rather than pay for the subscription for the motor home, buy a portable unit. They're about $30.00. When I working, I had one portable that I moved from my boat, to my motorcycle to my work car and my personal car.
Don, can you post which unit you have that will allow you to buy several base units that will accept a single head and buy only one subscription?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio