RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #1

Well, my first trip has been an eventful one so far. I was heading home from Las Vegas, only to have to leave again next week for some business.
I've had problems many times, when starting the engine, with the low air alarms and zero air pressure showing on both front and rear air systems, even though both systems had over 100 pounds. I was going to take it in for this when I got home this week.
Today, while driving I-10 about 70 miles East of Tucson, I pulled into a rest area to use the bathroom and grab a drink. When I walked toward the rear of the coach I smelled something that I thought was burning rubber, so I went outside to check it out. What I found was oil EVERYWHERE under the engine, running off the mud flap, and coating every inch of my toad. The entire engine compartment is covered in oil. I killed the engine fast, and here I sit waiting for road service that is supposed to be here in the morning. If I was a gambler I would bet that I'll be getting towed back to Tucson for a who-knows-how-long repair job.
This is just the topper to an already unenjoyable trip.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #2

Well, my first trip has been an eventful one so far. I was heading home from Las Vegas, only to have to leave again next week for some business.
I've had problems many times, when starting the engine, with the low air alarms and zero air pressure showing on both front and rear air systems, even though both systems had over 100 pounds. I was going to take it in for this when I got home this week.
Today, while driving I-10 about 70 miles East of Tucson, I pulled into a rest area to use the bathroom and grab a drink. When I walked toward the rear of the coach I smelled something that I thought was burning rubber, so I went outside to check it out. What I found was oil EVERYWHERE under the engine, running off the mud flap, and coating every inch of my toad. The entire engine compartment is covered in oil. I killed the engine fast, and here I sit waiting for road service that is supposed to be here in the morning. If I was a gambler I would bet that I'll be getting towed back to Tucson for a who-knows-how-long repair job.
This is just the topper to an already unenjoyable trip.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #3

Good luck, and have patience. When I broke down in Willcox (not far from you), I was towed to Tucson. Don't worry about things over which you have no control.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #4

Certainly sucks when things like that happen. Let us know what went wrong and hope they get you on the road quickly.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
So sorry to hear of your troubles... Thank God you stopped and discovered it though. Best of luck with quick and good repairs!

Brenda, of...
Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #6

Does'nt sound good, but you pulled into a rest stop, the engine did not alarm and shutdown with a bang. Therefore, it may be simpler or less of a big problem. Severe leak from the filter assembly or lines, would make more sense than a catastrophic failure.

Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with Peter, without a catastrophic failure it certainly sounds like a ruptured oil line to me...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #8

I've been trying to upload pictures for hours now, but for some reason I just can't do it. My AT&T aircard just hasn't been working right since I left Texas. This whole trip has told me that I don't belong west of Texas...
Anyway, I tend to agree, it looks to me like a loose fitting or maybe a broken O-ring. I'm on a pretty good slant so I can't check the oil level to see how low I might be. The leak doesn't seem to be major enough to be a ruptured line IMHO. Let's face it, a small amount of spilled oil makes a HUGE mess, especially diesel oil since it is extra nasty!

In fact, had I not called Spartan I might have tried to limp it to Las Cruces or El Paso, driving slowly and checking the oil constantly. I'm carrying several extra gallons of oil. Unfortunately, after notifying them of the problem if I tried to drive it and done major damage I doubt the warranty would have covered it.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
cwg

You may have a similar problem that many of us have reported on the forum.... if the oil dipstick tube which runs too close to the turbocharger melts, it throws oil all over the engine and toad. You may wish to do an archive search on this.

Spartan has changed this tube to relocate it further from the engine, and also they have put a piece of rubber insulation over the tube. Your problem may be more serious, but when everyone thought I had blown turbocharger, both Newmar and Cummins knew it was the melted tube as soon as it was towed in. As you say, a little oil makes a big mess. Even though it covered everything, less than a gallon was lost. Good luck
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Nice catch Chuck, I had forgotten about those coaches with the dipstick issues...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwg:
You may have a similar problem that many of us have reported on the forum.... if the oil dipstick tube which runs too close to the turbocharger melts, it throws oil all over the engine and toad. You may wish to do an archive search on this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just went outside and looked, shoot I've got nothing better to do....
I'm just waiting for a Trooper to bang on my door and tell me I have to leave, that I can't park here overnight. I actually feel guilty, I never stop at rest areas (for more than a few minutes) so they are open for truckers who need the rest.

It doesn't look like the dipstick tube is that close to the turbo, but near the turbo I see an interesting spot on the tube. It looks like a big glob of grease sitting on the tube. It almost looks like the tube has burst outward. Possibly melted and pressure pushed the plastic out? I can't reach it to feel it, and am sure not getting nasty since there's oil everywhere.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, CSX...! Good Evening from Tucson. Boy!! You've had a heck of a night!! We can almost feel your distress. Had similar breakdown S. of Denver in 06 and it ain't NO FUN...eh? We're currently parked in the Beaudry RV Resort/Park where I guess you might be showing up tomarrow since Beaudry is the Spartan place here in Tucson although Freedom RV across the street is the Newmar Svc. Center. We're in space 1550 so if ya need a drink after getting settled, stop over..although our rig will be in the shop for part of the day. We sure feel for ya, but make the best of it and have a good evening. Steve & Lynette
Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #13

This is really interesting, there is a Spartan service center here and they had me towed to Inland Freightliner, a Cummins service center. I wish they had taken me to Beaudry as I have the low air pressure alarms to deal with also.
Oh well, I'm sitting here now just waiting for them to take the coach in and look at it. Once they do that I have to find a car wash and wash the massive amount of oil off my toad.
Unhooking the tow bar was a ton of fun too, the entire towing system was heavily coated in oil.

***UPDATE***
It looks like Chuck hit the nail on the head, the tech says there is a large hole in the dipstick tube. It looks like I lost more oil than I thought too, it's two gallons low.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #14

CSX Good you saw it when you did!!!! Should be a fairly simple fix,

Rick