Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

We installed a Camping World SN in our coach last month. I was disappointed to say the least. (we a have memory foam sleep number at home and it is the greatest) We replaced the SN inside foam with 3" of medium density memory foam and it made all the difference, we are happy travelers now. It may be worthy to note we tried a 3" memory foam topper over the original SN and was very disappointed.

JMichael
2001 Kountry Aire 4084
Mike2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Dan, when I had the S/N mattress I did just that, adding a 2"thick piece of memory foam from Overstock.com for about $100, I believe. Bought a Serta model, Ca. king and trimmed 4" off the bottom and then a 10" radius on each bottom corner. After replacing that convoluted foam with this, I found it helped to some degree, so I bought another one and placed on the top! But I still didn't feel it offered correct support.

That is why I went to the custom foam mattress. They told us I shouldn,t use more than 2" of mem. Foam on top and recommended a 4" layer of latex below it....this is what I did and I can tell you it feels great and my perpetial backaches are gone. OTOH...the DW wanted more of a concrete slab to sleep on. So we built her side accordingly, a low density, firm foam with a 2" topper. Now she's a happy camper too.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #17

I finally had time to unzip our SN bed and there is NO foam over the air chambers. The mattress cover has the quilted top but without foam between it and the air chambers, it's no wonder we've not been very comfy in it. We don't have the controls that show the air pressure either. They are separate controls for each side and have the up & down buttons so it's a guessing game when we inflate.

SN is having a "sale" on their CoolFit Foam Layer which is about the same price as other foam pads.

To replace the pump which would give us a wireless remote is $248 +tax & shipping. So for under $600 we could have a SN that might be comfortable. That's cheaper than most mattresses and much cheaper than another SN and we'd still be able to have different levels of firmness. This will require some thought!

The customer support person said he would not recommend adding more foam inside the bed as it might cause the mattress cover to stretch and could put pressure on the zipper.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Karen, did you buy the coach new? If not, the previous owner may have removed the pad. No biggie...it's a cheap product. Why buy the SN gel foam pad for those prices? Get a Cal king-84 in. Long and cut off the bottom 4 in. And round the corners. It'll fit inside and no issues with the zip. Check out Overstock.com
Old 03-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Karen, did you buy the coach new? If not, the previous owner may have removed the pad. No biggie...it's a cheap product. Why buy the SN gel foam pad for those prices? Get a Cal king-84 in. Long and cut off the bottom 4 in. And round the corners. It'll fit inside and no issues with the zip. Check out Overstock.com
We didn't buy the coach new. The customer service guy said it didn't come with a pad! No wonder the original owner couldn't get comfortable it in either. I like the idea of the pad going inside the mattress though. I'll check out the link. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Karen, the gel mem foam was created to disburse body heat. We DID NOT go with the gel and found it to not be a problem, probably because it was under the top cover of the mattress. Again, the people who built our current foam mattress advised against using more than a 2 in. Thickness. And After I used a second 2 in layer over the inside foam of the SN, I found it to be cushy soft, but offered no good support in the small of my back. You need something firmer that pushes back. In fact, we found the SN didn't push back well, either. That's why the mem. Foam won out with us.

We also had height problems with a second topper, bringing the total thickness to 12+ inches. So with a single 2 in. M. Foam pad inside, you'll come out closer to 10 in. Which I think is about what Newmar intended when they designed the whole bed setup.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #21

UPDATE

Dragging this post up again!

I purchased a 1.5" foam pad which against the advise of the customer service dude at S/N, I put inside the zipper cover. We've spent 4 nights on it & it is an improvement but we're still guessing at our settings but I'm considering ordering the new pump and controls which allow one to set the "number".

Thanks for the suggestions and advise.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Dragging this post up again!

I purchased a 1.5" foam pad which against the advise of the customer service dude at S/N, I put inside the zipper cover. We've spent 4 nights on it & it is an improvement but we're still guessing at our settings but I'm considering ordering the new pump and controls which allow one to set the "number".

Thanks for the suggestions and advise.
Any idea what that new pump and remote will cost? I need to do the same thing. (Mine works, but no readout. Have tried to repair but with no success).
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #23

I think it was about $275. Wish they'd just sell the controls!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Our SN pump burned out a couple of years ago when we had an electrical problem, no fault of the SN bed. The old unit had two wired remotes, the new one wireless. If I remember it was also in the $200+ range but a great improvement.

That said we don't find the SN as comfortable as the pillow top mattress and box spring in the sticks and bricks house. The SN came with the "new to us" Winnebago and from what I have read is a high end and expensive model. I call it the $5000 air mattress.

It is nice to be able to set each side to different firmness though. It does not seem to lose air either.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #25

I've had a chance to try the SN bed... didn't really care for it.

My Tempur-Pedic king bed is the best $3k I've ever spent.
99phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:19 AM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Any idea what that new pump and remote will cost? I need to do the same thing. (Mine works, but no readout. Have tried to repair but with no success).
jt
There's been some discussion on a different thread about the Sleep Number controllers with the wired LCD display. The best advice has been to call the Sleep Number Customer Service number (1-888-484-9263) and ask them about a replacement for your controllers.

Their warranty allows for a prorated replacement.

Any suggestion that you've attempted any repair may void that warranty.

Don't ask, don't tell seems to be the suggested advice on other threads.

You may be pleasantly surprised on the replacement cost. On the order of $100 for a replacement system (includes wireless remotes and new pump).

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #27

iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing special except the quality of the air chambers and the longevity.

SN is not for everyone. but we love ours.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
As I said before, my $1400 custom foam mattress is the absolute BEST bed we've ever had.....and we've had in excess of 25 mattresses over the years. I had my side made with 3" of latex, the DW has something akin to concrete on her side, both overlain by 2 in. of memory foam. A low density foam below makes up the remainder of the 12 in. thickness below both sides. They even made us 72x80 in. sheets and mattress pad for a truly custom fit. No way could the previous SN bed come close to this kind of customization.