Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sleep Number Mattress??

We are ready to order a new Newmar Ventana and would like to know what the opinion is about the Sleep Number Bed that can be ordered with the coach. I was told it can lose air when changing altitude or with temperature changes. Is the queen size bed a dual air mattress so both side can be set differently? It is a $1,200 upgrade and we could certainly buy a nice queen mattress for half the price. Is it worth the extra money? I know it all depends on what type of mattress we like. Currently we have a real firm mattress with a 3"memory foam toper, and it is comfortable.
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Many people like their air mattresses. Other people hate them. Personally I would pass on it and buy a quality mattress at your local store
Old 08-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #3

I believe you loose all storage under the bed with a sleep number mattress.
Any way we did in our 2013 Winnebago 40u,
Would have rather had a queen regular bed.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadtif View Post
We are ready to order a new Newmar Ventana and would like to know what the opinion is about the Sleep Number Bed that can be ordered with the coach. I was told it can lose air when changing altitude or with temperature changes. Is the queen size bed a dual air mattress so both side can be set differently? It is a $1,200 upgrade and we could certainly buy a nice queen mattress for half the price. Is it worth the extra money? I know it all depends on what type of mattress we like. Currently we have a real firm mattress with a 3"memory foam toper, and it is comfortable.
Go to a sleep number store and try them out. I had one in my 2005 Airstream when I bought it in March of this year and my wife and I did not like it. I think we are spoiled to our Tempur-Pedic at home. So we replaced it with a Tempur-Pedic.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

jadtif ........We ordered a Sleep Number Mattress for our Stick'N'Brick home last week. It arrived this afternoon and just finished setting it up. It has Dual Air Chambers and I can't wait to try it out tonight. Everyone I know that has one just raves about the quality and comfort.
It's my understanding that the ones that Newmar installs has the Dual Dual Air Chambers.
I'll keep you posted on our experience with it after a couple nights sleep
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Sleep number

We have a sleep number bed in our Entegra and it's nice. Ours never seems to lose air but we have forgotten a few times to lower the pressure before going into the mountains and wow, we were near bursting it. Be careful.

At our house we have a TempurPedic mattress and the feel of the sleep number wasn't as nice. We couldn't haul around a TempurPedic in the RV because those things are waaaayyyyy heavy. We finally bought a "cool memory foam" 2inch topper at Sam's (about $150). The RV has a RV king size bed and I read on the blogs about people trimming memory foam pads with an electric knife. It was easy and worked great. Now the combo of the sleep number mattress and cool foam topper has resulted in the best bed I have ever slept on....anywhere. It sleeps better than my home bed. Try a cool form topper on the sleep number. You can set the level for each side and the memory foam topper makes the bed feel like a premium hotel bed.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Not on a Newmar. The pump unit that goes under the bed is pretty small.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Queen size is dual chamber.

They don't loose air, but if you go to a higher elevation you need to reduce the pressure before you go. Otherwise you could cause a failure and then you would loose the air.

We love ours, because we don't like the same firmness at all. Not even close.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
We have a sleep number bed in our Entegra and it's nice. Ours never seems to lose air but we have forgotten a few times to lower the pressure before going into the mountains and wow, we were near bursting it. Be careful.

At our house we have a TempurPedic mattress and the feel of the sleep number wasn't as nice. We couldn't haul around a TempurPedic in the RV because those things are waaaayyyyy heavy. We finally bought a "cool memory foam" 2inch topper at Sam's (about $150). The RV has a RV king size bed and I read on the blogs about people trimming memory foam pads with an electric knife. It was easy and worked great. Now the combo of the sleep number mattress and cool foam topper has resulted in the best bed I have ever slept on....anywhere. It sleeps better than my home bed. Try a cool form topper on the sleep number. You can set the level for each side and the memory foam topper makes the bed feel like a premium hotel bed.
double ditto on this post we have same combination in our DSDP and would not have anything else. Wife has her setting I have mine = Happy Campers!! You do need to lower pressure when going to high altitudes
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our 2005 Itasca Horizon came stock with a sleep number. It now rests comfortably some where with the rest of my useless stuff in the garage. We now have a pillow top and are much happier. By the way the queen does have dual controls.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry43 View Post
double ditto on this post we have same combination in our DSDP and would not have anything else. Wife has her setting I have mine = Happy Campers!! You do need to lower pressure when going to high altitudes
Part of our purchase deal was to have the same dual air mattress that Newmar offers installed in our DSDP. We love it. Still have all of the under bed storage. You DO need to adjust the air pressure when going into higher elevations.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #12

We have had a Sleep Number bed in our sticks for for some 9 years. We both enjoy it.

With our Entegra, the sleep number bed is way MORE comfortable that the sticks home's bed.

No sure why that is...Perhaps, we are more tired when we stop when we travel...

In any case, the adjust ability is what sold us. Being able to firm up or soften a side of the bed at the touch of a button is priceless..

Again, our opition

Yes, if you have the mattress maxed out at 90 - 100 percent, then head to high altitude in the summer, I guess you will stress the limits of the mattress...

Quote:
We are ready to order a new Newmar Ventana and would like to know what the opinion is about the Sleep Number Bed that can be ordered w.
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
We have the queen sleep number bed and I love it. When hubby gets up at night, because of the dual air chambers I never feel the bed move. I sleep like a rock. Wish we had one at home.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
the only space we lost was the room for the pump which is roughly 12" x 6" x 3".
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote