Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Sleep Number pump.....road vibrations issues?

I am on my third sleep number pump in 14 months. ( and we are NOT fulltimers). I gotta say, their warranty and customer service is second to none. I think they had design/quality flaws with the first two. This one is much better, so far.

The point to this post is to gather your thoughts and experience with these systems, specifically the pumps. Somewhere or from someone, I heard their systems are not designed for the bumps and grinds of the potholes, railroad tracks etc. we deal with when traveling in an RV. So I was wondering if anyone else had an experience or recommendations. Anyone develope a means to isolate the thing from jars and bumps? Or am I just chasing a non issue.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Oh YES! I certainly have a recommendation for the Sleep Number bed system.

I threw the whole KIP and KABOODLE in the dumpster near St. Louis, MO. Our system motor/pump and wands were replaced by Sleep Number twice under warranty. The wands would not work and half of the bed would not stay inflated (a nightmare).

After the disposal, we drove down to a local mattress store and bought a new Beauty Rest Pillow Top mattress to replace the piece of junk Sleep Number bed system. The mattress store delivered the king mattress and set it on the bed frame. We enjoyed a 'real' mattress for the remainder of ownership with that coach. The new coach has a regular mattress too.

I will NEVER have a another bed that involves a pump/motor/electronics! This was with our brand new 2008 Monaco Dynasty.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

We trashed ours also, bad pump and air mattresses leaked.

I purchased a queen size foam mattress for under $200.00, works for us.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

On the other side of the coin, we love ours. It is 12 years old and never a problem with it.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Grand Design Owners Club
Ive got a sleep number bed right now that is horrible. On one side, no matter where you set it you can feel what seems like the divider. Presently trying a 3” topper but now we both feel like we can roll downhill off the bed.
Would just love a good nights sleep.
Going to see if we can replace with standard Queen size pillowtopper when we get home.
Hopefully can just replace with no modifications or alteration/extension of the base.
Anyone have experiences like this?
Almost There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

From those I personally know that have sleep number beds, the pumps are somewhat problematic in home use. I love the concept though, and we have a similar personal comfort split king in the house. Think the wife would tear someone apart if they tried to take it from her. In the rv we have a memory foam king I like but the wife doesn’t care much for it.

As for the pump, I can’t see where the internals should be affected by vibration and such and doubt it would increase the failure rate. There are folks having issues with mechanical issues with the hoses breaking the pump fittings. What sort of failure were you having? Leaks or electrical?
Old 04-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #7

Air mattress

I looked at the sleep number, WAY over priced. went online and found one at half the price and 3 times the air pockets, five years ago. Love it ! my wife can set her side (soft), and I my side (firm). It replaced a $2,400 special order mattress for my bad back.
"MUCH BETTER"
No problem with the controller at home or the one in the RV.

3feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

My home sleep number bed is 15 plus years old, no issues. Love it sleep good every night.

I work in the electronics industry, we drop test stuff and fix what breaks and falls of so it can take a 3 foot drop. We also do what we call shake & bake, vibration and temp humidy cycling.
Weird stuff happens from these tests and gets fix before product release.
But our stuff is not low $$ consumer products.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I agree with the previous comment. Sleep number is way over priced and the quality is second rate. Had nothing but problems with ours in the Newmar.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - We are now using our second Sleep Number bed. Both were outstanding, worked well and very comfortable. Wouldn't have anything else. Never any issues with either one. When not at high elevations we have gone for months with no loss of air. Full time RVers so maybe constant use figures into it. One mans meat is another's poison.

Tom
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3feathers View Post
I looked at the sleep number, WAY over priced. went online and found one at half the price and 3 times the air pockets, five years ago. Love it ! my wife can set her side (soft), and I my side (firm). It replaced a $2,400 special order mattress for my bad back.
"MUCH BETTER"
No problem with the controller at home or the one in the RV.

Do you have a manufacturer name for the brand you ended up with?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I guess you could say we have “drank to koolaid”. We have a total of four (1K,1RVK, 2Q): three in the S&B and one in the VTDP. Yes, they seem to be somewhat overpriced. We bought 2 of them new (ouch), the other two were “re-homed” from friends. We caught the new ones on sale (ONLY $3K for both ), the other two were a total of $500.

Obviously we love them and find them very comfortable. The one in the bus will some times loose air depending on how rough the roads are. We had the same issue when we had one in the 5er. If we think of it when going up in altitude, we defalt to about 50. We normally sleep on 70-75.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
I one on our 2011 Knight and had one problem. The pump quite working. I called the company and they sent me out a new pump, plumbing and remote for free. That was in 2016.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hate ours. It loses air on hubby’s side all the time. A couple weeks ago we were woken in the middle of the night when a valve let loose and a bunch of air rushed out. We are going to try a 2 inch cool gel mattress pad to see if it can smooth the top a bit. Since we like different numbers I feel like I am always falling over to his side.

Lynn
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vibration