Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe extracurricular activities are causing the issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #16
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Our Sleepnumber bed has developed body impressions .............

I have a back injury and my back demands a good bed. Frankly, this bed is causing pain.

LK, I had same experience with SN, went thru two of their toppers, with same results. their foam just doesn't seem to last, and likewise, I'm on the lighter side. I also need to have a firm mattress.

if you want to test to make sure it is the foam, you can rotate the foam( have to cut/round the square corners on the top), place the top at the bottom of the bed. and see if the problem goes away for a while.

I found a foam top from costco (~$120). I think its ~4". It is a mem foam. Like you, I do not like the mem foams. out of desperation, tried it, and it was useless. However, I tried different approach, finally endedup leaving the original SN foam in its place. Then placed the costco foam topper over the top/outside of the SN. the coastco foam comes with a cover, I used it and then placed the matt cover over the whole thing. have been using it all summer and it is great. aired the bed to about 60 and it feels more like a firm matt with pillow tops.

the foam is made for reg king. SN is I think a Calif. king. so you have to cut about 3-4" from one side. It does make the bed a bit taller. it also makes it much heavier, if you need to lift the bed to access the storage under the bed. it has worked great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FoamTopper.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	262956  
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Funny how different folks have different experiences. We liked the Sleep Number in our new motorhome so much we bought one for the S&B too. Best mattress we've ever had.
Agree with you. We sleep better on the sleep number in the MH than our memory foam mattress in our Casita - and we were a big fan of Memory Foam. The Sleep Number also stays cooler - which is nice in a warmer climate - which we are in most of the time.

I have not yet experienced the issues the OP is having, but we do the setting of our optimum sleep number while we are laying on it. Also deflate for mountains.
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #18

We had just one experience with a Sleep Number bed which has set our course forever in the future. I will never have another one!

Our new 2008 Monaco Dynasty came with a king Sleep Number bed. When working, it 'was' comfortable. The motor went out under warranty and the wands went out twice (replaced once under warranty). The bed started to sink on one side while we were in a RV park north of St. Louis.

I called a mattress store in the area and found a nice fully stocked store. I asked if I come in and find a mattress that we like, could they deliver it today, they said YES.

So, I gathered up our wonderfully expensive POS Sleep Number bed system..... motor, wands and mattress and threw all of it into the lovely dumpster they had on the premises.

We bought a beautiful Beauty Rest king pillow-top mattress that was excellent! Out with the junk and in with quality!!

When it was time to upgrade our coach, I took the Beauty Rest mattress out of the coach and put it on one of the 'stick and brick' beds and still have it today! I went to Camping World and put a new regular RV mattress in the Dynasty.

I will NEVER have a bed with pumps, wands, motors and an electric cord.....EVER!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #19

Try taking both sides up to 100 for a day. We do this monthly and then lay back on it to take it down torwards our regular numbers. It really makes a difference for us. The DW was told this by their Customer Service.
We also take ours down to 10 or so when heading up in altitude.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Of course you have to reinflate it while laying on the bed, how does the bed know if you weigh 100 pounds or 300 pounds?

I will have to see if there’s impressions in mind I have never noticed it, I’ve been sleeping them for about 25 years, sometimes on my right side sometimes on my left side.
That is a pretty good recommendation on them if someone can actually stay in one for 25 years straight and only get turned from one side to another! Hang in there.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We got our first SN mattress to replace the original poor quality foam mattress in our first coach. When we traded that coach, we salvaged it and it went in the guest room at the S&B.

We then bought a top of the line SN for the S&B. The second and third coaches both came with SN and the one we have on order will have one too.

All that said, every one of these five SN mattresses is different. There is little in common between the one in our master BR in the S&B and any of the much cheaper ones that we have had in our various coaches. It’s like anything else, you get what you pay for and these units they put in the motor homes are NOT Sleep Number’s best effort. Maybe in the KA, I don’t know.

We put up with the cheaper one in the coach, but really appreciate the top of line unit at the house.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
If replacing the foam layer on top of the bladders corrected the problem one time, I would buy a 2" natural latex topper from Sleep On Latex and replace it again. This is a 100% natural latex, not a memory foam, and should last a really long time! We did that on our Sleep Number bed that we've had for over 20 years!

MSHappyCampers, did you order your mattress topper without the cover? I am thinking that after I cut the topper down to match the rounded “corners” of our sleep number mattress that the topper cover just would not fit correctly. If ordered, I would probably not get the cover.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi Rex - You have me wondering if you have an internal baffle that is stretched or broken. Ask Sleep Number if they would provide you with a substitute bladder as a trial. Also I don't believe that being on or off the bed when changing the pressure setting would make a difference, much like tire pressure that doesn't change whether the tire is on or off the vehicle.
Hope all is well for you despite this issue.

Tom
If my wife sets her side to 35 and l lay on her side instead of mine and look at the remote it is not at 35, I'm heavier than her.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Funny how different folks have different experiences. We liked the Sleep Number in our new motorhome so much we bought one for the S&B too. Best mattress we've ever had.
Same thing for us we love the SN Bed's
Old 10-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Kurtsara - Unless the volume of the container changes (which it doesn't) the pressure would not change. Boyles Law. Can't explain what you are experiencing. If weight on a closed container of gas would vary as you state the bed bladder does, then you would need to reset the tire pressure in your car before and after each fill up.

Tom
Old 10-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #26

Since many have been pleased with the Sleepnumber bed (including myself) I cannot help but wonder if the Sleepnumber bed installed in our Dutch Star is a lesser quality bed. And, if that is the case, is there a "premium" Sleepnumber bed for motor homes.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We love our SN but the LCD display in the controllers is unreadable so setting the number is a crapshoot.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Since many have been pleased with the Sleepnumber bed (including myself) I cannot help but wonder if the Sleepnumber bed installed in our Dutch Star is a lesser quality bed. And, if that is the case, is there a "premium" Sleepnumber bed for motor homes.
We have a king SN in our 2017 Ventana 4369. It has been a great mattress and it gets plenty of use because we have been full time since purchasing the coach. I would suspect that the same quality, or better would have been installed in your DS.

Since this is our first one I don't know much about them. Could yours be damaged somehow or defective?
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems