Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 11:00 PM   #1

SleepNumber Bed Problems

Our Sleepnumber bed has developed body impressions so bad is it like a swayback horse. This is regardless of what SleepNumber pressure setting.

18 Months ago we experienced the same and SleepNumber send us a 2-inch replacement foam topper (under warranty) that rests on top of the air bladders (Inside the mattress). This fixed the problem, but now we have it again.

I have a back injury and my back demands a good bed. Frankly, this bed is causing pain.

Has anyone else experienced this with the SleepNumber bed and, if so, how did you resolve it? Anyone else replace the foam topper?

Note: I tried a memory foam topper several years ago and found it tended to lock my body in one position and this was painful, so memory foam is out of the question.
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 01:55 AM   #2

SleepNumber Bed Problems

Yep, kicked the thing out the garage door. worst mattress I ever bought.
master2301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #3

Have you tried deflating it and then re-inflating it. When we are heading to high elevations we will run it down to 10 or so. Then when re-inflating we have to lay in each side while inflating back to our desired number. We found that if you just inflate it without laying on it, it doesn't set up correctly.

Disregard all of this if you already do it this way. We did it wrong for the first year.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by master2301 View Post
Yep, kicked the thing out the garage door. worst mattress I ever bought.
Funny how different folks have different experiences. We liked the Sleep Number in our new motorhome so much we bought one for the S&B too. Best mattress we've ever had.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We had to get the foam insert that sits under the air bladder. Got it from sleep number. Originally got it due to number differences. No issues since but we do not have a topper of any kind.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

We lay on it to check the pressure every night. You have to move the pressure up or down 5 lbs and back to your desired pressure.

Yes, the pressure is correct and really doesn't make a difference on the body impressions.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Have you tried deflating it and then re-inflating it. When we are heading to high elevations we will run it down to 10 or so. Then when re-inflating we have to lay in each side while inflating back to our desired number. We found that if you just inflate it without laying on it, it doesn't set up correctly.

Disregard all of this if you already do it this way. We did it wrong for the first year.
Of course you have to reinflate it while laying on the bed, how does the bed know if you weigh 100 pounds or 300 pounds?

I will have to see if there’s impressions in mind I have never noticed it, I’ve been sleeping them for about 25 years, sometimes on my right side sometimes on my left side.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If replacing the foam layer on top of the bladders corrected the problem one time, I would buy a 2" natural latex topper from Sleep On Latex and replace it again. This is a 100% natural latex, not a memory foam, and should last a really long time! We did that on our Sleep Number bed that we've had for over 20 years!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Funny how different folks have different experiences. We liked the Sleep Number in our new motorhome so much we bought one for the S&B too. Best mattress we've ever had.
I agree
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

That's my dilemma. We have had Sleepnumber bed in two stick homes and three motor homes with no problems. Now, we have the body impression issues. Sleepnumber will most likely replace the top foam under warranty again. But are we just delaying the inevitable.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you're forced to replace it again on your own dime, try the 100% latex as described above. I'm a big guy and we added it to our mattress and found that it hasn't gotten flat spots yet.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
That's my dilemma. We have had Sleepnumber bed in two stick homes and three motor homes with no problems. Now, we have the body impression issues. Sleepnumber will most likely replace the top foam under warranty again. But are we just delaying the inevitable.
I have heard that the king RV SN’s are much better than the queens...which one do you have?
Old 10-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Rex - You have me wondering if you have an internal baffle that is stretched or broken. Ask Sleep Number if they would provide you with a substitute bladder as a trial. Also I don't believe that being on or off the bed when changing the pressure setting would make a difference, much like tire pressure that doesn't change whether the tire is on or off the vehicle.
Hope all is well for you despite this issue.

Tom
Old 10-08-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Tom,

I have questioned the air bladder as well. Interesting that the body impressions are on both sides and neither my wife or I are large people.

Tags
ems, problem, problems