Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Slide anxiety - Will this help?

We have had two Class-A RV's (Winnebagos) that both had slide problems. Sticking, not coming in/out, failed motors. We are getting ready to purchase a Newmar DP and would love to make smart choices (if possible) to reduce the chance of slide issues with our new RV.

We are considering a few models that have a full-wall slide and also a couple that have no full-wall slide but do have 4 smaller slides. Do you think going with a model that has 4 smaller slides, versus a full-wall slide, will reduce the risk of having slide issues? Or, is it just luck of the draw and the 4 slide models are just as likely to have problems?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

If you had asked me a year ago, my answer may have been different. I had issues with the full wall slide that did not seem to ever get fixed right. Well. no wonder! I took it to the factory and they finally found the problem and fixed it. It was the main carrier rollers. This is a one in a million issue. Based on that, and it has worked great ever since, I would go full wall slide without worry.

Having the space and open concept feeling makes the FWS the definite way to go!

Peter
Old 10-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

If you are looking at Dutch Star and up (2016 and newer), the full wall slide has no electric motors.

It is now all hydraulic, using 2 rams for in/out and 5 for up/down.

All small slides still use electric motors.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #4

Newmar was the first with slides in production motor homes and are still the leader on slides. The full wall slide really opens open the coach and since they have been doing full wall slides now for over 5 years you will be OK which way you go. Do keep shore power connected and the coach air bags full when using slides.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is information on all type slides and operation,if not followed on FWS, here is the newest slide information since 2012.
All slides could have a problem but I never had a slide problem on the smaller slides in my Newmars they all can be taken care of if you have the nohow using links provided.
All the links below in my signature will have info for what ever Newmar you get.
We have many owners enjoying their FWS's
Good luck with your new Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

We have two Newmars in our family (my Ventana 3434 and my parents' Bay Star 3124), both with full-wall slides. Both coaches' slides have been 100% completely trouble-free in the two years between us that we've had them. Based on our experience so far, I personally don't think the FWS carries any additional risk of failure over the smaller slides when operated as recommended by Newmar.
PantherJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slide anxiety - Will this help?

We have a FWS and two smaller ones. I've had another mfgr's FWS rig also, (Monaco). While I've not had problems with the Newmar slides (or the Monaco hydraulic one), I find the slide lock bars hard to use and some hard to see so I currently only use one slide lock on each slide (the one that can be accessed more easly and can be visually inspected as to its position - locked or not). Newmar now has an optional auto lock system which I'd seriously consider if purchasing again. It is not a practical upgrade on existing systems I was told, ($$$). I was told that Newmar now provides slide roller protectors for the floor as the rollers can, over time or if debris is caught under them and between the floor, can mark the floors. They sell them for somewhere north of $20 each. I needed 10 and made some by buying 12"x24" floor tiles with the sticky back (Home Depot) and applying a thin fabric backing on them (cheap canvas from WalMart) for significantly less than the Newmar cost, (no logo on them though). I chatted with Newmar support regarding the sequence of putting slides in and out and they said the sequence for putting the slides out has changed, at least Newmar's recommended method has. They recommended that one put the FWS slide out first, without leveling the rig (based upon thinking that with any flexing the FWS did 'with the rig in motion' putting it out without leveling would be better), then level the rig, then put the small slides out. I tried that a few times and it did not like the way things sounded and such, so I level the rig put out the FWS, then the two smaller slides, reversing the sequence putting them in. If I thought I'd maybe flexed the motor home in transit, (rough road, off roading, etc.), or I docked on a very unlevel surface requiring significant leveling by the jacks, I may rethink that.

The Hamptons, (Wally & Wendy)
NW Washington State
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide