Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #1

Slide Lock Problem

Hit the switch to bring in the FWS on the ‘13 DSDP this morning and saw that the top rear corner of the slide did not seat properly. Turns out the “flipper” lock was sticking up at about 30 degrees and hitting the top of the slide opening. I pushed the “flipper” down and it cleared the opening and the slide seated properly.
Tonight, when extending the slide for the night's stay, I checked out the “flipper” again, and saw that once again the lock was not flat to the roof. Much fussing and fiddling has not resulted in any improvement.
I don't know how this mechanism works other than when the plate at the bottom contacts the coach wall a rod makes the lock extend against the interior wall. I don't know if I can flatten the lock enough to retract the slide and proceed on our journey tomorrow.
Help!
Calpop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have the locking bar that must follow a cam or bar to open and close that flipper lock bar as slide travels in and out of its opening in wall.
Newmar didn't stay with this type lock for very long maybe because of your type trouble.
Your the first that I can recall with a problem so will need to do a search to see if we have any info on your type lock, will try.
Not sure you may have some lube points to free up operation of your type lock either down below in compartment or inside where the flipper is operating.
We never had pictures of your type lock so its hard visualizing what we are talking about.
The owners guide has no mention of your mechcanical lock system.

Here is some of the search so far.

Well here you are I forgot about this thread VIDEO I think this is your locking system, simple operation not sure why they ever went to the 12v locking system. Also explains why Newmar has locking systems on their slides.

It would seem to me that bar up the outside of your slide has a spring around bar or attached to it to spring back and forth, its either broken or may need some oil to free it up if it has become rusty from exposure outside from rain water when slide is out.
The spring is your problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #3

What would do without "007". Thanks Tom
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Both before and after traveling today I sprayed copious amounts of WD-40 in the flipper area on top of the slide. I went around the coach and tried moving the “plates” that hit the wall and operate the flipper; all of them worked, although with great resistance, except for the non-op lock. Ok, now we have something, I said to myself! More WD, and a small adjustable wrench on the plate, wiggling back and forth, and things began to free up. The gizmus still does not work smoothly, but it is better. More lube over the next few days will hopefully improve the action.
Thanks for the help!
BTW....where can I find a sketch of that locking unit?
Old 03-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have never seen a sketch of the lock and did not look into the TSB link for a possible fix, the TSB Link is in the link I gave you and you should go into it periodically for updates for your coach year for fixes or recalls.
Try not to spray to much WD-40 on walls of slide and wipe off slide fiberglass it may peel the finish off side wall of slide if left on.
If you find something on the lock would you post in this thread may help others, I guess you all have them on newer coach's. Thanks 007

A better picture of this type slide lock. ---- link
Old 03-04-2018, 10:34 PM   #6

Copy that.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
There are alot better lubricants then WD40.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #8

Understood, but it's not a bad penetrating product. Just trying to free up the mechanism.
Inspection this am indicates a bad return spring. Gotta find some way to replace it.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Just had issues with the slide lock resolved, the mechanism, which involves the bottom flapper, actuator, a rod and the upper slide lock. They all work in unison to lock the slide. Mine had become corroded and jammed the mechanism. After disassembled and a good cleaning and lube, all worked again.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As previous poster said disassemble for better cleaning, your heading in right direction another add to your spring check list.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #11

Hey, ddowntown....thanks! Now I know ther is help, but can you give us some direction on the disassembly/reassembly? I'm not keen on having springs flying about if I were to do something in the wrong order.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As we have found out later everything for lock is inside the slide wall corner.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #13

As far as disassembly, I tool the bottom plate off and accessed the operating rod and cleaned and lubed it. The top air has a spring that came dislodged but was easy to reinstall. There is a spring above the plate, but it stayed put.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that information, downtown.

Tags
slide