Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 03:06 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is what happens when people add to some one else's thread when one should have started a new thread, gets confusing, with two different locking bars.
IONFU, the bar should have been unlocked with bar for leverage if not by hand or removed before moving slide and causing a problem below with the turning cog wheel and holly rail, with it jammed in the locking clip or not moving freely.
RKINS, like you said we need a like year locking bar picture and locking bar mounting, I will search around, I can not see how your bar can get in recessed pocket beside slide as yours is mounted, thats all I am saying.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
RKINS, I stand corrected by my own bar mountings in this picture, thats what a old memory does to you with no coach in the driveway.
Not sure what we are discussing at this point other than your missing ball bearing in the bar clamp, which must have been added later than 1997, my 98 and 99 had them for locking the bar.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #31

Ok 007, I sent the slide out and I looked at the edge and I do have the same white edge that Nkroon does. I felt behind the wood and it is indeed stopped by the part I screwed into the wall. So now I understand that I am missing a block or two, since the aft is like this also I am going to have to make something I guess.
Why would someone intentionally mount these in the wrong place? Also I have no clue how I'll get into the inside to mount the block. This is going to be a hard one. I am not thin enough to get into the small space in the aft. Maybe I can open the window in the slide?
Thanks for pointing out that I am missing something.
Anyone got a pic of how these things should be mounted?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Read my previous post you must have been posting same time I was, as long as the mounting plate is mounted correctly you should be OK.
Just added this new thread on forum looking for stuff for you.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3991972]RKINS, I stand corrected by my own bar mountings [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/slide-locking-arms-236788-3.html#post2458821
in this picture[/URL][/B], thats what a old memory does to you with no coach in the driveway.
Not sure what we are discussing at this point other than your missing ball bearing in the bar clamp, which must have been added later than 1997, my 98 and 99 had them for locking the bar.
Maybe the PO found a pic like that to mount the bars - something must have happened to the mounting points somewhere along it's 20year life. Amazing.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3991985]Read my previous post you must have been posting same time I was, as long as the mounting plate is mounted correctly you should be OK.
Just added this [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/98-dsdp-slide-mistake-25278.html#post51298
new thread[/URL][/B] on forum looking for stuff for you.
007 I re-read post #25 and you were telling me about the mounting point being wrong but all I focused on was that you said the rods should go into the recess. Sorry man. Took a while to get me oriented, thanks for hanging in there.
I will feel the side wall for entry points. Maybe I'll take a pic so I can see what I'm about to undertake. I am going to the rally in Tampa in the morning so I will have a couple times I can reach in there.
I'm assuming that there must have been a metal bracket that the arms attached to on the side of the wall. Maybe I can remove the angle metal I put on the corner (and patch the holes) and use that? I would guess that a 1 foot length attached to the stud would give enough strength to lock the arm. I will ping Newmar and show them the pics I have.
Sure would be nice to get a pic of a proper attachment. I'll ping Nkroon also. He probably hasn't pulled in his slide for quite a while since he lives in the coach.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:51 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The pic you're referring to is after I flattened it out so if you're looks like that already it should be good. Mine was really bowed toward the driver seat.
My point was that it was in that position in the picture when it started bending, bowing out. When it was in that bowed out at about the same angel I had to use a sledge hammer after removing the mounting screws to get it out. It was completely frozen at the hinge. After I got it out, the hinge became loose and started moving again. While it wasn't lubercated, it wasn't frozen once I had removed it. I suspect it has something to do with the end that slides up a couple of inches to help it retract into the recess when it is full open.

Like I mentioned before, one of the rear ones is now binding and cannot be moved or shaken by hand when the slide is partially out. Feels like it is jamming too.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
The pic you're referring to is after I flattened it out so if you're looks like that already it should be good. Mine was really bowed toward the driver seat.
My rear slide was so bent it had a 45 degree angle in it, not just bowed.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
OP, I think your problem is the bracket which is attached to the wall needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The angle portion should overlap the corner of the wall. Made this same mistake trying to install new arm on friends 2011 VTDP.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky573 View Post
OP, I think your problem is the bracket which is attached to the wall needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The angle portion should overlap the corner of the wall. Made this same mistake trying to install new arm on friends 2011 VTDP.
I believe you're 100% correct. At least on my 2000 DS it's that way. Photo's attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	189130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	189131  

Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Has to be that way, as picture shows, so bar when folded,the bar drops onto space between slide wall and recessed opening of wall.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #40

Quote:
007, if your talking to me, I don't see any other way to mount them. The part you see mounted on the wall does not articulate any other way. The rear one is original and mounted like this too. The arm does drop into the space to the left but you're right, the wall does not move out all the way until flush with the outer wall. It is about an inch away from wall. Maybe I can get another '97 London Aire owner to take a pic. I do have one earlier in my refresh thread from NKroon.

He has a filler behind his - I don't have that (yet). So that filler is about the thickness of the part mounted to the wall.
I have this "filler" (you called it that) on my 2003 MA and it came new with it .
Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The filler your talking about looks like the metal fascia of the slide and the finished wood is applied to it.
Behind the facia is a strip of foam rubber that is compressed to inside wall.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
I believe you're 100% correct. At least on my 2000 DS it's that way. Photo's attached.
AAhhh, the mystery is solved. Thank you RR. Yesterday I pulled in the slide a ways and I screwed the bar from the wall and tucked it away and extended the slide - it almost went all the way out. I also have the filler/trim mounted on the
rear of the wood trim (hadn't noticed it before - thanks Farmer for the confirmation) and it is away from the wall a little. Sometime someone replaced the carpet in the coach and didn't know what they were doing when it came to slides. The carpet is laid under the slide a little and I bet the rollers are sitting on top of the carpet and the distance that the slide won't extend is about the thickness of the carpet. I am traveling with a buddy and he came over last night and we investigated the carpeting a little and concluded I need to tilt the slide out at the top (put a 2x4 on each end at the top of the slide and retract just a little which causes the slide to tilt out at the top and also raising the bottom) so I can look and pull the carpet out. This coach slide drops down about an inch as it slides out and I think the carpet is also impeding this functionality also.
I am learning every day.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.

Tags
newmar, slide