Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

slide locks..required??

During my PDI/education session...the tech recommended not using the slide locks..not necessary. I never had slide locks on my 2 fifth wheels...so am curious as to why many Motor Homes have them? Are they generally used by all.....or ???? Thanks.
litespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #2

We have owned two Dutch Stars and always use the slideout lock arms. I figure they are there for a reason. I think your RV tech needs to call Newmar for the correct information before giving his personal advice.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We always have used the slide locks, even though we forget to unlock them at times.

Here's the reason: The design of the Newmar slide mechanism makes it difficult for the slide to come out on it's own, it takes failure of a major component for it to happen. But major component failures do happen. I and a drive shaft fail on the BR slide while I was closing it and then could move the slide by hand. It could have easily opened up while driving without the lock.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

You'll hear people on both sides of the issue. The ones who have negative things to say usually have either had bad experiences with them not working properly, have damaged them, or have been advised by someone in the dealership that they "aren't necessary". Our experience has been, although they may not be "necessary" 90+% of the time, they do come in handy under some (usally unforseen) circumstances.

One of our friends (unknown to them at the time) had a hydraulic line rub through on the main slide. With the locks in place there was no problem. Once the locks were released the slide would creep out all by itself. This isn't a big problem when you're stationary, but it could be a huge problem going down the road at 60 mph.

Some coaches are more susceptable to wind problems than others. Winnebago recommends using them to keep the wind from moving the upper rear corner of the slide away from the coach. While the wind has to be of sufficient force and comming from the right direction to have it happen, you don't have any control over when and where you are when it might happen. It could be quite a scare when the corner of the slide moves away from the coach body and slams back in place.

The way I look at it is that the bean counters would never spend the money to install the locks unless someone in research or engineering convinced them they were necessary. You may never need them, but if you do and don't have them in place you may wish you did.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rather b safe then sorry, pls. Use them, newmar slides will come out. Trust me
DRBARBER001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #6

My 06 Bounder 38L with 4 slides has no slide locks-as far as I know
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #7

Advised they were not needed. Never used them - no problems.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #8

In addition to the obvious safety issues presented with attendent liability is the fact that on Newmar products (what this thread is addressing) the locks "snug" up the slides to keep water, wind etc out while in storage or on the road.

Other brands may differ.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #9

Make a hard left turn with the door side bedroom slide not locked on the top and you;ll see why.Top of slide rolls out, snaps back in and tosses the Plasma out of the mount.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We always have used the slide locks, even though we forget to unlock them at times.

Here's the reason: The design of the Newmar slide mechanism makes it difficult for the slide to come out on it's own, it takes failure of a major component for it to happen. But major component failures do happen. I and a drive shaft fail on the BR slide while I was closing it and then could move the slide by hand. It could have easily opened up while driving without the lock.
Nomination for best answer. (Fully agree)

In normal operation, if everything is working as designed, the slides will remain where you put 'em.

However.. "Stuff happens" Shear pins shear, Hydraulic hoses fail, and other issues can cause a slide to slide when it should not.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44
Advised they were not needed. Never used them - no problems.
Like flood insurance...never important and never a problem until there is a problem. Just not that big deal to use them.
mscully103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #12

Had slide locks on previous Vectra. They did not work and like some others thought that, ah well, don't need them anyway. Then on one of those windy spring days on I-40 in NM, the unthinkable happened. The driver slide front slide was moving out and in at least 10" at the top and pivoting on slide rails. A quick attention getter. Stopped for the day, fixed the locks and always used after that.
RBK394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always use mine better to be safe than sorry
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always used them on my trailers and also use them on my Newmar. Once, when my wife was ill and I broke camp alone, I forgot the slide locks on the Newmar MH. Several miles down the rode I could hear and detect a vibration I was not use to hearing. At the next stop I investigated and realized it was the slide lock arms and the slide outs. Set the locks, started out again and all was quiet!

So, they are clearly snugging up the unit and making those walls a bit more solid.

I like knowing that they are locked - peace of mind.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide