RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #1

Slide Motor Bolts Stripped

Doing my fall service, checked tightness on all slide motor bolts and noticed 2 on the forward slide motor would not tighten down. Pulled the bolts, they are not stripped, so must be the threading in the motor itself.Two upper bolts are fine, it's the two lower bolts .Any fix short of replacing the whole motor?

wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can you drill thru and put a nut on the other side?

Old 10-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a similar issue on the front FWS motor on my 2019 Ventana. I found the bolts being used were 1" long and with the mounting bracket and lock washer thickness there was only ~ 3/4" of the bolt threaded into the motor housing. I checked the depth of the bolt cavity in the motor housing and found it was ~1 1/4 deep. I used a flat end tap and taped the cavity to the bottom. Purchased some new 1 1/2" long class 5 bolts and lock washers and installed them with locktite to the specified torque. They are holding at least for now. In my case a motor replacement starts at $1500 for the motor plus the labor to replace it, so this was certainly worth a try.
Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #4

Stripped Threads

You could try to use Helicoils. A kit comes with Drill bit,Tap, Coils,Install Tool. Not really hard to do if you can get in the space you have to work at.I have used them on many things. They come in all different sizes. Us and metric threads.Once installed they will be stronger than the tapped threads. Use a little lock tite when installing the coil.
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredusps6 View Post
You could try to use Helicoils. A kit comes with Drill bit,Tap, Coils,Install Tool. Not really hard to do if you can get in the space you have to work at.I have used them on many things. They come in all different sizes. Us and metric threads.Once installed they will be stronger than the tapped threads. Use a little lock tite when installing the coil.
If you go the heli-coil route you will have a better shot at success if you remove the assembly and install the inserts then re-mount the gearbox. You need to drill out the existing holes (drill bit usually comes with the kit), tap them with the heli-coil tap (again, comes with the kit) and then install the inserts in the hole with the installer tool. It's not hard to do but you get one shot at it - screw up the oversize hole or tap it crooked and you have a major problem. I doubt too many people can drill and tap straight holes while laying on the ground and working over your head and inside the side compartment.

OTOH, your RV, you get to pick.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #6

10 fan,
can not put nut on the other side, wish i could, that would solve it. The nut threads right into the motor assembly.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Someday came,
that's kinda what I was thinking, that I would have to rethread the opening. Never done that before but can give it a try. Yes, replacing the motor would be costly.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

retiredusps6,
Thanks I will look into that
Old 10-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #9

Someday Came,
did you need to remove the motor to do that?
Old 10-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did not need to remove the motor to tap / re-tap the holes. Thread the tap in like you would the bolt. At some point it will stop. I used a small wrench to turn the tap since there was not enough room for the conventional tap handle. Be mindful of how deep you are tapping so you don't break the bottom of the cavity out into the gear case. I used a blunt end tap to allow me to cut threads as deep as possible.

I agree a helical would likely be a more robust fix for the stripped threads but it would require the motor to be removed. A potential downside of the helical fix is there have been multiple reports of the mounting bosses breaking off of the gear case. Since the helical process would require a larger hole in the mounting boss it may make it more susceptible to breaking.
Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:23 AM   #11
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wracinti View Post
Doing my fall service, checked tightness on all slide motor bolts and noticed 2 on the forward slide motor would not tighten down. Pulled the bolts, they are not stripped, so must be the threading in the motor itself.Two upper bolts are fine, it's the two lower bolts .Any fix short of replacing the whole motor?
You might also try the stud configuration as posted by SLS (long discussion).
How I FIXED My Electric Slide "Bolts"

What torque did you use on the bolts? Newmar specifies 19 ft-lbs for 5/16 bolts & 33 ft-lbs for 3/8 bolts. I have always thought that those torque values were too high. A little research shows that these are the max torque values for class 5 steel bolts. I would think that the mating aluminum threads would have a much lower max torque than that of a class 5 steel bolt.

Tags
slide