Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Slide Out Alignment

I have a 1996 36 ft Newmar Dutch Star gasser. New to me i have owned it for about 3 months and am slowly working all the bugs out after the last owner had if for 2 yrs an only used it once it sit for all most 2 yrs before i got it. The slide when closed is open about an inch on the bottom right corner all other corners are nice and snug. I am not sure if it was damaged. I was wondering if there is an adj to correct this problem.

thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_194824.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	224418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_182844.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	224419  

Name:	20181030_182839.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	224420  
scottn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi scottn83,
You will need to loosen (not take apart) the transtorque bushing. A 1 1/16" crows foot is needed. Once loose you should be able to move one side of the slide. Either bring the front out or the back in.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs up thanks GaryKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi scottn83,
You will need to loosen (not take apart) the transtorque bushing. A 1 1/16" crows foot is needed. Once loose you should be able to move one side of the slide. Either bring the front out or the back in.
I will give this a try when i get home if its not raining.

Not today thought we had that needed crowsfoot wrench here are work no luck will have to order it so it will be a weekend project
Old 10-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
After getting home and looking through some of the paperwork I received when I bought the coach it looks like I need to loosen 2 trantorque bushings one at the drive motor one between the front and back gear so I can move the back section with out the front section moving would his be right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181031_161748.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	224509  
Old 10-31-2018, 03:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
move your slide out about 6" loosen both trantorque bushings ( I think they are 1/12 in) now measure both sides & get them even. hold on to the bar with A pipe wrench & tighten the torque bushings to I think 125 foot lbs. when I did mine I didn't torque than just tighten them good & no problems
Floyd
Floyd2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd2u View Post
move your slide out about 6" loosen both trantorque bushings ( I think they are 1/12 in) now measure both sides & get them even. hold on to the bar with A pipe wrench & tighten the torque bushings to I think 125 foot lbs. when I did mine I didn't torque than just tighten them good & no problems
Floyd
That seems right I will try this once the rain stops thanks
Old 10-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi scottn83,
You are technically correct for post #4. Try it and see. For me, I always needed to loosen both bushings.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

Interesting thread! My slides, at least two of the four, are vertically out of alignment. In other words the slide is not plumb to the side wall which stresses the side wall when slid in or out. One is smashed at the top and out at the bottom by 1" and the other is just opposite. Is this alignment something that cn be done by me or best left to the pro's??? If I can do it (retired engineer with some millwright exp) how would I go about accomplishing it without creating a bigger problem??
Old 11-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
Interesting thread! My slides, at least two of the four, are vertically out of alignment. In other words the slide is not plumb to the side wall which stresses the side wall when slid in or out. One is smashed at the top and out at the bottom by 1" and the other is just opposite. Is this alignment something that cn be done by me or best left to the pro's??? If I can do it (retired engineer with some millwright exp) how would I go about accomplishing it without creating a bigger problem??
If you will give me until the weekend I will report back on my experience. It seems pretty simple but we shall see. Pictures tell 1000 words when it comes what is wrong with yours. I saw a you tube video that the floor of the coach under the slide was rotted out. Which caused the slide not to align properly because the slide is supported on the inside by the floor of the coach.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post

Ok so the alignment was very simple the hard part has getting that damn nut loose it was very tight. When you loosen it it will brake loose then get tight agian you still have to continue to loosen it, that was where mine got really hard to turn. After you get the nut loose I only had to loosen one but i just pushed out the side and measured each side until I got them to match very easy to move. Once aligned tightened the torque bushing. It should be tightened to 125 foot lbs but I didn't have the crowfoot wrench to do that so i will order and take care of that another day.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
after pics

after Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail_20181104_132404.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	224914   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20181104_132406.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	224915  

Old 11-04-2018, 11:45 AM   #12

I had to use a 1/2" 30" long breaker bar with the crows foot to break my bushing loose, and that took all I had to move it. When it breaks free you loosen a bit until it tightens again and then you have to break it loose a second time, but much easier.
Once you have the slide even as per the above instructions (about 6" from the coach wall) you can torque it back tight. There are two torque settings in the Newmar instructions for 2 different shaft sizes. I found my torque setting printed on the Marne capacity sheet behind a kitchen cupboard door.
I used a 24" 1/2" torque wrench with the crows foot...never has another problem.

Tightening back p
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rookie RVer,
If you had a Newmar coach I could tell you how to do what you need. Don't know how Thor builds slides.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
I had to use a 1/2" 30" long breaker bar with the crows foot to break my bushing loose, and that took all I had to move it. When it breaks free you loosen a bit until it tightens again and then you have to break it loose a second time, but much easier.
Once you have the slide even as per the above instructions (about 6" from the coach wall) you can torque it back tight. There are two torque settings in the Newmar instructions for 2 different shaft sizes. I found my torque setting printed on the Marne capacity sheet behind a kitchen cupboard door.
I used a 24" 1/2" torque wrench with the crows foot...never has another problem.

Tightening back p
I didnt have the crowsfoot so had to use an adj wrench that's is all that would fit I need to order the crows foot and check the torque
scottn83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out