Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Slide out lock arms

Help! My passenger side bedroom slide lock arms extended open after the slide opened all the way. Normally they stay closed as the slide extends out. Anyone experience this and if so is there a fix?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1500486878424.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	169275
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the same issue on my 2007 DSDP 4320, except it's the drivers side bedroom slide. It always retracts, however, before the slide starts moving in. Also looking for a fix.
CaptSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:19 PM   #3

Since I posted I found up in the arm housing a small magnet / sensor. I cleand them off and now the arms are working correctly. Not completely sure that was the problem but it has worked fine since. Now the fridge is giving me a noco code! Sheesh!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #4

I have the same problem with my bedroom passenger side. From my research I found that there is also a magnetic sensor down by the slide gear that's out of adjustment. Didn't look like it was easy to get to so haven't adjusted it yet. For now I just push the slide button once I know the slide is out all the way before the arms start to open. BTW, if you leave them open when your slide is out and it rains water can get in through those openings.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the rain info, I kinda figured that would happen too hence another reason for concern.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the info on the rain. I also stop the slide when it appears to be all the way out. I'll also check for the sensor / magnet and clean it.

Am I correct that there are two sensors. One in the lock arm box, which is important to my problem, and another in the basement by the slide gearbox?
CaptSteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSteveW View Post
Thanks for the info on the rain. I also stop the slide when it appears to be all the way out. I'll also check for the sensor / magnet and clean it.

Am I correct that there are two sensors. One in the lock arm box, which is important to my problem, and another in the basement by the slide gearbox?
If I remember correctly, the switches are magnetic. There is one in each lock arm box. The switch is a black encapsulated switch and the actuator is a machine screw that is screwed into the arm and sticks out an inch or so. It may be intentionally bent .... don't straighten it. It passes in front of the switch as the arm retracts into the box. It should have minimal clearance but not touch the switch.

The other switch is on the gear shaft under the slide at one end. It is under the large plastic cover. It also is magnetic. It should close with the slide fully retracted.

There is a document describing the slideouts/controllers/locks Search for SS2011SlideOuts.pdf
Old 07-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Ditto on bruceisla's post. The Sensor on the slide gear is supposed to have I think 1/16" gap when slide is fully open for it to read properly so the locks won't open. Look at the PDF bruceisla referred too to get the right specs. Just cleaning them may not fix it, you may need to adjust them.
Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vactionfools View Post
Ditto on bruceisla's post. The Sensor on the slide gear is supposed to have I think 1/16" gap when slide is fully open for it to read properly so the locks won't open. Look at the PDF bruceisla referred too to get the right specs. Just cleaning them may not fix it, you may need to adjust them.

I doubt cleaning will fix it .... the switches are magnetic. Adjustment is not easy ... the clearance between the head of the screw and the switch body is very difficult to see. I assume the initial adjustment was done with the box on a bench (before installation in the slide wall).

BTW, make sure the hinges are well lubed. If they bind they may not fully retract and the switch wont be activated.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

I tried a search for the PDF and nothing came up. Did anyone find it? Link?

****** EDIT ***************
I did find this on a google search - hopefully it helps folks.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...1SlideOuts.pdf
Old 07-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I tried a search for the PDF and nothing came up. Did anyone find it? Link?

****** EDIT ***************
I did find this on a google search - hopefully it helps folks.

https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...1SlideOuts.pdf
Yup ... that's the one .... first instance of either a Bing or Google search of ...... SS2011SlideOuts.pdf ......... it's a 38 page document and the lockarms start around page 17.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
All slide and 12v switch locks info is in QT's i & 2 and there was a new seal made for the slide locks to help keep the water out when slide is open.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out