Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Slide out motor access

I have a 2014 Dutch Star with a tag axle - I am attempting to gain access to the slide out motors to tighten the bolts with Loctite. Problem is access - obviously the front two slide out motors are easy to get to. The rear slide out motors are not so simple. I have not looked for the motor on the driver's side which is suppose to be under the bed and I assume that will not be too difficult. The opposite side seems to only have access via the outside area behind the tag wheel - has anyone done or attempted this motor access themselves or does anyone have any suggestions as to the best manner to get to the motor to check the bolts? Any good suggestions would be appreciated - thank you
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Been there, done that. You have to remove the tag wheel to get access to the passenger side motor.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
John - thank you for the reply even though I don't like your reply - LOL

After having begun that process I was hoping and praying there was some magic way out there I could not figure out, but apparently not. When I got to the point of removing the lug nuts - I'm not sure I want to continue. Don't know what the torque is on the lug nuts, but it seems to be more than my tools and back might be able to handle.
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Don't try it if you don't have the right tools. The lug nuts are 450-500 ft.lbs so you need a really long torque wrench or a multiplier, which is what I use. You also need a 10 or 12 ton bottle jack to support the tag axle and an axle stand to be really safe.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Read through this thread from PROBLEM SOLVERS in QT's # 3.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #6

If you are skinny and/or limber you can do it with the wheels on.

See my post #6 on this thread

Use your levelling jacks to jack up that corner of the coach maximally they you can reach in and remove an access cover (mine was held on with sheet metal screws). Don't forget to seal the compartment well when reassembling.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out