Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Slide Out Problem with Chain.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

The problem is with the kitchen slide on an 2009 Dutch Star. The rear chain on this slide has been popping. This started last fall with unit only being 6 months old.

The chain only pops at the end the extension or retraction. It almost seems like the sprocket is being turned one chain link to far. The front chain is fine. You can tell its going to happen when looking the shaft to the left (going towards to the rear of slide) of the motor. It looks like it comes under tension with a slight bend, then the chain pops/slips. It does not happen every time. You can cycle the slide 10-20 times and no issues. Then the next time the chain pops. It may happen for only 1 cycle, or may happen for the next 6 tries, then the slide runs fine for another dozen cycles or so. Took it to be looked at a Cumming Coach Center. They found an adjustment to the rear slide lock need to be made, but of coarse while there, the chain worked just fine. Brought it home, work fine for 6 cycles, then started all over again.

Last fall they made a slide adjustment. Work fine for a dozen tries, then then chain popped and broke at the master link. Tje chain was replaced and slide adjusted last fall and put away for the winter. The slide was again adjusted, fine tuned a Newmar tech this March, worked fine until 3 weeks ago. The work sheet stated slide stops adjusted. Can't seen anything that looks like a slide stop to me.

The slide otherwises moves in and out smoothly and evenly from side to side. The horizontal position of the slide appears good with even paint lines. The slide is not centered in the opening, but neither are 2 of other 3 slides which work fine. The best I can tell the rear casters appear to be in the c-channel.

The problem is intermittent. When it occurs it seems like the chain wants to move 1 link to much with respect to the rear of the slide but is fine in the front. I did adjust the amperage on the controller to the lowest position with no changes.

It seems like either the top sprocket binds on the last chain link of movement, the controller is not turning off the motor in time (but why then only the rear chain and not both chains popping), or somehow, the moter over turns the rear sprocket by a link at not the front?

Any body have a similar problem. Any other ideals.

Thanks
Doc C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #2

I wonder if your chain has too much slack. I have recently taken the cover off of mine and noted that the bearing carriers on the rear end of the kitchen slide shaft had moved, thus loosening the chain. The carriers had slid (as noted by an unpainted area where the bolts were previously). You can tighten the chain by loosening all of them (including the motor) and repositioning the shaft to tighten the chain, then re-tightening the bearing carriers. Perhaps if your chain had loosened, it was the cause for the periodic slip. I believe that explains mine.

Good luck
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #3

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I am not sure what you mean by bearing carries. The shaft that goes from the motor to the rear sprocket crosses through two metal hangers both of which appear to have a series of nuts that allows you to reposition the shaft up or down. Is this what you are talking about? I did inspect those areas looking for paint scraps previous or to see if this is wear the previous adjustments were made, but the nuts heads look they never seen a wrench.

Thanks again
Old 10-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #4

Doc
I think we are talking about the same thing. The shaft has bearings which are surrounded and held by what I am calling bearing carriers. On mine, the carriers moved upward resulting in the shaft moving and the chain becoming loose. I loosened the nuts and bolts and brought the shaft back down which tightened the chain then retightened the nuts and bolts. I don't think the nuts and bolts holding the bearing were tight enough from the factory and moved upward resulting in loosening the chain.

Have you looked to see if there is play in your chain?
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #5

Jim

Yes,

Both chains appear to have play in them. If you touch the back on the chain with the slide out extended there is a some play where as the front of the chain is tight. Just the opposite with the slide retracted.

How much tension do you have?

Doc C
Old 10-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #6

I'm not certain that the loose chain is your issue, but it may be jumping a tooth at fully extended depending on how loose the chain is. It would be difficult to explain how tight/loose but I eliminated the majority of the slack and kept just a little in the chain in case either the upper or main shaft is slightly bent.

I reread your op and you have explained the issue as being only at one end of the shaft. Not sure how that would be happening since the shaft is, for all practical purposes, made solid with the torque bushings. If the shaft is solid and the torque busings are not slipping, then it would seem that the slide would be angled if the chain slipped only at one end.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Doc C to the Newmar forum.
In this PDF it explains the operation of your different slides that Newmar has in your coach.
The slides are tracked on box channels with thread rods for stop adjustments.
Can you post a picture of chain you are talking about?
When your kitchen slide is opened or closed is it flush against inside wall and closed into cavity on the outside wall?

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote