Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #1

Slide out procedure for a Bay Star

What is the correct procedure for leveling and slides out, or in. Currently we level then put the slides out. When packing up, slides in, then jacks up. Does this sound like the right procedure for a gasser?

Thank you,
Halbs
Roger and Sue

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbs View Post
What is the correct procedure for leveling and slides out, or in. Currently we level then put the slides out. When packing up, slides in, then jacks up. Does this sound like the right procedure for a gasser?

Thank you,
Halbs
Roger and Sue
I would also like to know the answer. We have 2016 CS with a full wall slide. If I level first then open the full wall slide then I go out of level because of the weight of the slide and I have to level again. The 2 smaller slides on the opposite side don't compensate for the weight of the full wall slide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same question and found this information which I follow.

Product Information Bulletin
Date Issued 1/29/2015

PIB# 38
Full-wall Slide-out Operation

The intent of this Product Information Bulletin is to inform of the recommended operating procedure for all Newmar Product with full-wall slide-outs.

Product Information
In the past, Newmar has recommended leveling the coach prior to deploying the slide-outs. Although this is still the recommendation for coaches without full wall slide-outs, Newmar makes the following recommendation for coaches equipped with a full wall slide-out.

PLEASE REVIEW THIS RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE:

Motorhomes, as all vehicles, flex in travel. Flexing may be different due to terrain and the coach’s fulcrums (resting on tires or jacks). This is normally not an issue for coaches without a full wall slide-out. Although the jacks and the slide-out mechanism are both welded to the chassis frame, with a full wall slide-out, you have a large box (the slide), inside another large box (the coach) and they both flex, especially the coach. As the coach flexes, this movement is more noticeable in the outside reveal due to the wider slide-out.
Additional care should be taken once the coach is parked. Before operating the full wall slide-out, one should walk around the driver’s side and look at the “reveal” or “gap” of the two vertical wall trims around the full wall slide-out to make sure there is plenty of clearance so the trim will not rub when running the slide-out to the out position. If the gap looks good then the slide out can be operated. If the gap is tight in one or more places, try leveling the coach to see if that corrects it, then operate the slide out. If at any time there is cause for concern, do not operate the slide-out and call Newmar Customer Service.
PLEASE NOTE: Most often the gap will look best when sitting on the tires and not the jacks.

If you have any questions regarding this P.I.B., please contact a Warranty Service Representative at Newmar Corporation.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find the information here for which ever slide system you have.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar's.
In QT's # 3 there is a BS section just for BS's plus the other gas models.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Does full wall slide out mean the entire length of the coach?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #6

Stang37 has the most current information I've seen, I have the same document and it works for us.

I have seen times when I level first, sometimes the gap between the slide and box is too tight for comfort so I unlevel then put them out and then re-level.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbs View Post
Does full wall slide out mean the entire length of the coach?
Typically yes. The process of checking the reveal/gap is sound advice for all slides though.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
I would also like to know the answer. We have 2016 CS with a full wall slide. If I level first then open the full wall slide then I go out of level because of the weight of the slide and I have to level again. The 2 smaller slides on the opposite side don't compensate for the weight of the full wall slide. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I assume that all four jacks are planted on firm ground, concrete, asphalt after you level the first time. I know that if I extend my FWS with the jacks up then it really leans. But with all four jacks down of a firm surface, no lean.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you do not check the gap, revel, around your FWS this could possibly the result.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out