RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Slide-out rollers putting dents in vinyl flooring

The three rollers on the large sofa/dining table slide-out are putting dents in the vinyl flooring where they rest when the slide is in. I'm thinking of putting a piece of 1/8" hardboard under them as they come in, to protect the flooring. Any problems with this approach? Or other suggestions? TIA.

RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My front one started "bunching" up the carpet in front of it, (I have carpet all along where it comes in). I was thinking about doing the same idea for when it is parked at home. DW thought it was a dumb idea, so that idea went down the drain. In your case, I think it would help, or get a piece of about 14 gauge steel, that would be strong enough, but not as much of a jump up for the roller.

pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No thats a good idea and sweeping the floor before closing slide will help also with the wood floors & vinyl flooring.
I have the hard 12" tiles that I have to clean in area rollers set when slide is closed, roller does not wear floor as the soft vinyl will.
The rug carpet will place a indentation but has not rolled up as yet in 8 years, check carpet and see if tacking finish end is coming loose.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
12 gauge ,12" X 16" aluminum with felt glued on to both sides.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskymt View Post
12 gauge ,12" X 16" aluminum with felt glued on to both sides.
Is the felt to keep it from sliding?
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
At the FMCA rally in vt last month a vendor there was selling "ribbons" of plastic 18-24" long to place on the mh floor to prevent slide from harming floor ...sorry do not remember their name..they were doing mh repairs and seminars there..I think from Indiana too. Perhaps someone knows them that were in attendance too.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #7

I masking tape some cut up plastic table placemats. Rollers are cutting grove in my tile floor.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I masking tape some cut up plastic table placemats. Rollers are cutting grove in my tile floor.
Perry, I am getting ready to remove the carpet from my 2007 Mountain Aire and replace it with porcelain tile. I will be converting to the smaller diameter rollers that are a softer material as well. What exactly is cutting the grooves in your tile and what kind of tile did you use?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #9

It's the vibration going down the road. The are hard teflon rollers, they are not softer,and which I don't think you can get from Newmar anymore. They are white. Rug rollers are black. They leave a scratch mark in the tile if you don't cover the floor with something. I think I'd leave the rug rollers in They are bigger in diameter. The slide tilts in anyway. The locks will pull the top

Also any little piece of stuff left on floor seems to impregnate into the roller. I think that's what makes most of the scratching. My rollers are all ruff textured from crap I missed cleaning up before sliding in.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
Is the felt to keep it from sliding?
The felt protects the vinyl floor from black marks or scuffing caused by any shifting of the aluminum while driving.
Another easy way to protect the floor is self adhesive vinyl tiles from Depot, etc. Leave the adhesive backing paper on the tile. The thickness of the tile will cushion the floor as well as protect. When they start to get roller marks in them they are easy to replace.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #11

You don't think my wife is going to let me leave the protectors down with the slide out, do you?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
It's the vibration going down the road. The are hard teflon rollers, they are not softer,and which I don't think you can get from Newmar anymore. They are white. Rug rollers are black. They leave a scratch mark in the tile if you don't cover the floor with something. I think I'd leave the rug rollers in They are bigger in diameter. The slide tilts in anyway. The locks will pull the top

Also any little piece of stuff left on floor seems to impregnate into the roller. I think that's what makes most of the scratching. My rollers are all ruff textured from crap I missed cleaning up before sliding in.
Perry, I have the white rollers from Newmar for replacement. I am replacing my carpet with a matte finish porcelian tile. I am also leaving the polished tile in the galley, so this new tile will contrast with the existing. What type of tile did you sue that is scratching?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #13

I didn't sue anyone. It's the polished porcelian tile that came new from Newmar. Is the white rollers like hard plastic? If it is it's going to lay down an etch in the tile. I have five etched lines in my tiles from the off door front slide and two from the door side slide.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #14

Sorry Perry....didn't mean to say sue. I don't like that word anyway. I meant "use". I have the polished porcelain from the factory on the door side, in the kitchen area. The rest is the carpet that is coming out. I don't have any marks from the rollers that currently roll on the tile. And, it has a high polished finish.

I am pulling the 4 dark grey, larger diameter rollers from the driver side and replacing them with the smaller, white roller. It also seems not to be as hard as the current rollers. I was told by Newmar to smaller diameter roller. Maybe I will take a closer look at the current door side and see if I have the etched lines as well. And, these lines are positioned where the rollers rest when the slide is in?