RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Looks like the top will be much more difficult than side. Thankfully I do t have a slide out topper to remove.

Topper is the easiest part of the job.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #16

Slide-out rubber gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by balvert View Post
I replaced the slide rubbers on both my living area slides on our 2008 Kountry Aire fifth wheel. The biggest part of the job is cleaning off the adhesive left behind when removing the old rubber. And you need to be meticulous in cleaning off the old adhesive and rubber. The surface for the adhesive strip on the new seal needs a clean and dry surface or you will end up with water getting behind the seal and destroying the clips. Then you will end up replacing the seal againClick image for larger version

Name:	Image1511231022.001171.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	183459.
Exactly as Balvert stated early. Took the old one off and it was toast.

enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Exactly as Balvert stated early. Took the old one off and it was toast.
You can see the rusted clips. Might be better to use stainless steel. However I did what my dealer did when he replaced the seal on my last trailer which at the time was just about six months old. I ran a thin bead of silicone around the top of the seal and about a two feet down each side as a second barrier to water. That repair on my last trailer lasted until I sold it 12 years later.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #18

In Phoenix check with the folks as the new NIRVC (National Indoor RV). They are doing service.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #19

A little maintenance a couple times a year using 303 goes a long ways in protecting the seals
Old 11-21-2017, 03:19 PM   #20

I had to replace the seals on 2 slideouts on my 2008 Kountry Aire as well about 5 years ago. My experience with rusted clips was identical to what Balvert explained, and I replaced the seals myself in almost the exact way Balvert did -right down to buying the replacement seals directly from Unigrip in Ohio. (I picked the seals up there myself while driving across the country.)

The only things I did that were slightly different was I used mineral spirits to remove the old adhesive, and you have to be careful not to get any on the rubber roof on the slide out, if you have a rubber roof on the slide out. (Donít ask how I know not to do that.) I also ran a bead of silicone across the top, and all the way to the bottom of the seals down both sides. And, I also used a wall paper roller to roll over the seals once they were in place to help set the adhesive tape.

Itís not a job that requires a lot of skill, just takes plenty of time, and energy to clean off the old adhesive.

MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, slide