Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Slide-out rubber gasket

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	180298.

The rubber gasket on the passenger front slide does not seal tightly on the top of the slide like it should. It looks like a metal strip holds it in place on the two sides as well as top. Factory replaced in 2 hrs once before. Anyone ever done it? How big of job?. Not easy access from inside. Any recommendations on Newmar dealer Service in Phoenix or Tucson?
2010 Dutch Aire
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Attachment 180298.

The rubber gasket on the passenger front slide does not seal tightly on the top of the slide like it should. It looks like a metal strip holds it in place on the two sides as well as top. Factory replaced in 2 hrs once before. Anyone ever done it? How big of job?. Not easy access from inside. Any recommendations on Newmar dealer Service in Phoenix or Tucson?
2010 Dutch Aire
I replaced the slide rubbers on both my living area slides on our 2008 Kountry Aire fifth wheel. The biggest part of the job is cleaning off the adhesive left behind when removing the old rubber. And you need to be meticulous in cleaning off the old adhesive and rubber. The surface for the adhesive strip on the new seal needs a clean and dry surface or you will end up with water getting behind the seal and destroying the clips. Then you will end up replacing the seal again. You need to run the slide out part way in order to do this. The rubber seal is attached to the slide opening frame by spring clips integrated into the seal. The seal is pushed onto the opening frame edge and takes quite a bit of strength to do it. Not a lot of room to get your hand in there to pull it into the edge, especially if you have a bad case of arthritis as I do. Use the old seal as a guide for cutting the seal edge to go into the corners. Once you have the seal well seated on the opening frame the tape is removed from the self adhesive edge and I used a narrow steel roller to attached the strip to the frame. Each seal took me six hours and four of that was taken up to clean off the old adhesive. I used Rapid Remover adhesive remover and it a tedious job. I then ran a bead of silicone around the edge of the seal to ensure that the installation was water tight. These seals fail because water gets past the adhesive strip and rusts the steel spring clips causing them to let go. Like a zipper opening. Good luck. It is a hard job.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the answer balvert good to see we have some active mobile trailer owners left on forum, we do have a group but they must be out enjoying their 5th's.
Will be placing your answer in PROBLEM SOLVERS in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

Name:	IMG_2261.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	180529

Name:	IMG_2262.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	180530

Thanks for reply. Here is what mine looks like. Phillip Screws every 8” or so from the outside and protruding on the inside. It looks like screws go through a metal stripe on outside and inside that keep rubber in place ( rubber seal also comes with a glued edge as you say that goes against slide wall.). Maybe yours is the same as mine and I don’t need to take the screws and metal stripes off.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #5

We use and recommend Freedom RV on Irvington Road in Tucson. They have a really good and highly rated (by Newmar) service.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #6

Balvert. Did the adhesive stripe on the new rubber seal attach to the outside of the slide or the inside? If on the outside, I might be able to loosen the screws a bit to make it easier to get the out one out and the new one in place.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #7

Talking

Quote:
Balvert. Did the adhesive stripe on the new rubber seal attach to the outside of the slide or the inside? If on the outside, I might be able to loosen the screws a bit to make it easier to get the out one out and the new one in place.
I think Newmar has been using the same seal for many years. The adhesive strip is on the outer perimeter of the seal and it is outside. It acts as water barrier to keep water from getting behind the seal. The screws you are seeing are not holding the seal in place. I believe these screws hold the inner slide frame to the outer slide frame. The only thing holding the seal are the seal’s built in clips and the adhesive strip. Both are built into the seal. Your seal looks the same as mine. This is not a job for the faint of heart but it can be done if you are handy. Regardless of who does the job, the long term success or failure depends on how thoroughly the old seal is removed. Please note that there are screws installed outside holding the seal adhesive strip flat in the corners only. Two for each upper corner.

The attached photo is of a piece of the seal that I installed. The red tape covers the adhesive strip and the metal clips are visible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0E5EFC07-6EB1-4C5A-84C2-279F7D69FE1F.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	180537  
Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Lizards View Post
We use and recommend Freedom RV on Irvington Road in Tucson. They have a really good and highly rated (by Newmar) service.

Thank you for recommendation.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by balvert View Post
I think Newmar has been using the same seal for many years. The adhesive strip is on the outer perimeter of the seal and it is outside. It acts as water barrier to keep water from getting behind the seal. The screws you are seeing are not holding the seal in place. I believe these screws hold the inner slide frame to the outer slide frame. The only thing holding the seal are the seal’s built in clips and the adhesive strip. Both are built into the seal. Your seal looks the same as mine. This is not a job for the faint of heart but it can be done if you are handy. Regardless of who does the job, the long term success or failure depends on how thoroughly the old seal is removed. Please note that there are screws installed outside holding the seal adhesive strip flat in the corners only. Two for each upper corner.

The attached photo is of a piece of the seal that I installed. The red tape covers the adhesive strip and the metal clips are visible.

Thank you for a thorough explanation and the picture. I now understand how it is put together. Before I order the seal, I had better inspect the other slides too. You have been a great help. Thank you again.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you for a thorough explanation and the picture. I now understand how it is put together. Before I order the seal, I had better inspect the other slides too. You have been a great help. Thank you again.
Good idea to check the other seals. Easy to identify a failed seal. Get it over and done with. UniGrip is the supplier for most slide seals. They make the seal that Newmar uses and were a bit cheaper than Newmar. Good luck. Casey
Old 10-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #11

All other seals looked good.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Good idea to check the other seals. Easy to identify a failed seal. Get it over and done with. UniGrip is the supplier for most slide seals. They make the seal that Newmar uses and were a bit cheaper than Newmar. Good luck. Casey
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #13

Did the bedroom seal on our 16 dutchstar. Job is tedious and definitely sucks along the top edge.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post
Did the bedroom seal on our 16 dutchstar. Job is tedious and definitely sucks along the top edge.

Looks like the top will be much more difficult than side. Thankfully I do t have a slide out topper to remove.

Tags
gas, slide