RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
So what is the procedure for retracting the slides with the bags aired up? My slides will not operate with the ignition key ON or AUX. Are you supposed to turn the engine off after the bags are aired up? I have been retracting while still on the jacks, then raise the jacks while doing a walk-around, then starting the engine to air up the bags.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #16

Slide outs in/out at air ride height before leveling

I failed to cover that Scot. I shut the engine off after it airs up. My slides won't retract unless the engine is off and the key is in AUX. I am a newbie so I didn't have to unlearn the old way of deployment. This method was what I was taught at the factory during delivery. It has worked for me so far.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar

HavingABlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #17
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
So what is the procedure for retracting the slides with the bags aired up? My slides will not operate with the ignition key ON or AUX. Are you supposed to turn the engine off after the bags are aired up? I have been retracting while still on the jacks, then raise the jacks while doing a walk-around, then starting the engine to air up the bags.

My FWS will retract with the engine running. It won't extend. I learned the other day that the bedroom slide will not retract with the engine running. I haven't tried the living room slide.

I do just as havingablast says with the full wall slide. But I do the bedroom and living room the opposite (engine off on the jacks) since they don't seem to care and it's easier for me.

So when leaving I;

1) retract the living room, bedroom slides and awnings.
2) retract jacks
3) start engine and air up
4) retract FWS
5) unplug utilities and leave.

That way it's only one start for the engine and we're ready to go.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #18

We just left Newmar on Saturday after taking delivery of our 2016 4041 Ventana. The tech stressed every day and made me repeat it, that the slides go out before leveling to insure I don't have a problem. It's hard to argue with the factory folks!

I agree with others that it makes more sense to level first, but he insisted that they need to be deployed with air in the bags. He also said to air up before bringing the slides in.

So, that's what we will do until I find its a problem.
sbahrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
My FWS will retract with the engine running. It won't extend. I learned the other day that the bedroom slide will not retract with the engine running. I haven't tried the living room slide.

I do just as havingablast says with the full wall slide. But I do the bedroom and living room the opposite (engine off on the jacks) since they don't seem to care and it's easier for me.

So when leaving I;

2) retract jacks
4) retract FWS

X2.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post

So when leaving I;

2) retract jacks
4) retract FWS

Newmarpusher...I will try this approach...I didn't like the idea of starting the engine twice. Just thought that it was necessary. I don't think that I tried to retract the FWS while the engine was running. Thanks for the tip.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Parking coach; level with jacks, hook up all services, extend slide outs. Leaving; bring in slide outs, stow jacks, unhook services, start engine wait for air to come up. Walk around coach to inspect.
pediajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pediajo View Post
Parking coach; level with jacks, hook up all services, extend slide outs. Leaving; bring in slide outs, stow jacks, unhook services, start engine wait for air to come up. Walk around coach to inspect.

Me too
Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #23
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pediajo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Me too

Do either one of you have a FWS?

THAT is where the "aired up" deploy and retract is important. The flex in the coach "hole" and FWS causes the hole and slide fit to be best when aired up.

Believe me, you will have issues deploying a new 2015 Newmar FWS on jacks when on an uneven site or a site that was approached unevenly.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Helpful hint is to open a window on opposite sides of coach when putting slides in & out
Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Why? Pressure?

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #26

Another item I have found is that when you are at ride height the cabinet doors close very easily which cares over to slide out. When on jacks sometimes door are tight to close.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
My experience up to now shows that Newmar's recommendation is correct. 14000 miles, 70 some campgrounds from WV to UT, MI to FL we always extended the FWS on our 2015 DSDP 4369 with the suspension aired up then leveling. Always checked the reveal before extending or fully retracting it but never had a problem while aired up. Checked the reveal several times with the jacks down and the coach leveled and found it tight at the upper corners, which indicates to me that the frame is bending. The jacks support the frame at different locations then the suspension air bags, which explains the distortion of the coach body and frame due to flexing. The kitchen and bedroom slides are short, therefore are not sensitive to the flex. They can be opened or closed before or after leveling. The FWS will close with the engine running.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #28
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfyanes View Post
Helpful hint is to open a window on opposite sides of coach when putting slides in & out

Why? I can't think of a logical reason how this could help.

Tags
leveling, slide, slide out