RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 02:14 PM   #1

Slide Tool

i cannot get my hands in to lock the slide in the back of kitchen and back of the bedroom. i saw somewhere there is a tool, but i cant find it anywhere in newgle. any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mfredm,
Contact Newmar parts. They can send you one for your specific coach.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:43 AM   #3

I bought one while at the Newmar Service Center from the parts dept - $14.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #4

When I bought my Bay Star Sport both the salesman and th service fellow who did the PDI told us not to bother with the slide locks. Said “nobody” uses them after the first time they forget to unlock them before trying to extend. I have been using them but wonder if all you nice people do too.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
When I bought my Bay Star Sport both the salesman and th service fellow who did the PDI told us not to bother with the slide locks. Said “nobody” uses them after the first time they forget to unlock them before trying to extend. I have been using them but wonder if all you nice people do too.
Hi - I have one and don't use it. I don't use it because I have forgotten how.

Does anyone have a video on how to use it?

Yes, everyone who locks their slideouts will someday try to extend their slideout with the locks firmly in place. Horrific expensive sounds come from the bowels of your RV. Its a memorable event.
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Develop a proceedure for using the tool and forgetting to use it will not happen. What I do is store the tool in back of the driver's seat when the locks are locked. Store the tool inside the steering wheel rim when the locks are unlocked.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Develop a proceedure for using the tool and forgetting to use it will not happen. What I do is store the tool in back of the driver's seat when the locks are locked. Store the tool inside the steering wheel rim when the locks are unlocked.

I also put a piece of paper that covers the switch that says 'Slide Locks" that I have to move to get to the switch. That is one of my biggest fears of not unlocking them and bring the slide in.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

So if you do happen to forget to unlock the slides before attempting to e tend them is it catastrophic or simply obvious in time to stop and fix it?
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
So if you do happen to forget to unlock the slides before attempting to e tend them is it catastrophic or simply obvious in time to stop and fix it?
You can do some real damage or break/slip a cog in the drive wheel. It is essential that if you lock them to make sure you unlock them. Also if you take it in for service always check them afterward. Do not rely on memory. Check. Also if you lube the locks to make them easier to lock, they may come unlocked by themselves. I have experience for for all the above.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
i cannot get my hands in to lock the slide in the back of kitchen and back of the bedroom. i saw somewhere there is a tool, but i cant find it anywhere in newgle. any ideas?
Is it conventional wisdom that you need to lock both sides of the slides? I know its a nice safety/back up to lock them, but both locks? My Bay Star is the first RV with slides Ive had that even has locks. If it a design necessity? Its not like they self deploy, right? Or do they?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I also put a piece of paper that covers the switch that says 'Slide Locks" that I have to move to get to the switch. That is one of my biggest fears of not unlocking them and bring the slide in.
The previous owner of my Bay Star did this complete with a diagram of the locks with a locked and u locked position. I guess he had issues. At first I wondered what the importance of this was. Now I know. Its not for the locks, its to remind me to move the drivers seat forward!
Old 11-14-2019, 06:29 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi R.Wold,
Yep, lock the front and rear lock. Generally speaking, the locks are not there to keep the slide from going out. The locks are there to form a solid mechanical bond with the side of the coach. Makes everything more sturdy.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #13

I only lock the ones I can get to without using the locking tool or climbing over the bed.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I lock both my slides, although the rear lock on the rear slide is a pain to get at, have to crawl onto the bed, work the tool between a cabinet and the slide fascia by feel to get the lock.
I level the coach (an elder coach) then unlock the slides, if the locking tool is on the dash by the front window slides are unlocked, when locked tool is on the bed. Also "Nola" reminds me as soon you push the slide button to make sure locks are un-locked and slides are clear of obstructions, (Front slide only). Wife always checks behind me, so far in 12 years we have not attempted to move slides with lock set.
When going in for service I always unlock slides before I exit the coach when I arrive.

FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide