Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #15

I think the topper is what hit the tree limb. The topper tube transferred the blow across the length of the slide flange.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Did the brackets bend the corners on both ends? My last coach had that happen when the slide was in and the topper spring sprung and locked up to a degree that caused a big drag when the slide went out. Result was what you are seeing.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
Did the brackets bend the corners on both ends? My last coach had that happen when the slide was in and the topper spring sprung and locked up to a degree that caused a big drag when the slide went out. Result was what you are seeing.
They are bent at both ends. The one closest to the front is the one I took the pictures of. It's the worst one. How do I tell if there is a problem with the topper spring?
Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #18

We have the identical coach and we had the same issue a few months ago. Due to age, the springs in the slide topper locked up intermittently. We lubed them but still had the problem. Our side topper pole was also sagging in the middle. We did not use the slide out until we got the topper replaced because it was clearly doing damage to the slide fascia. Fortunately we had an appointment at Newmar for something else and they replaced the full topper and mechanisms. We were lucky because we caught it before the topper actually ripped apart the fascia. Two months with the new topper and no issues.

08 Newmar Mountain Aire 4523
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
We have the identical coach and we had the same issue a few months ago. Due to age, the springs in the slide topper locked up intermittently.
It doesn't seem like you had the same issue. The OP hit something high that bent the mounts. It's not a spring fault (yet). The assembly is bent out of shape and might be damaged. That will become more apparent once the real problem is resolved which is unbending the slide flange and aligning the topper brackets to be straight again. The topper tube might also be bent. To be seen during the disassembly.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
With the slide almost in I released the "arms" of the springs and removed the brackets to bend the slide corner back. I then reinstalled the bracket and topper. I pinned the topper so it would not unwind going down the highway and with the slide staying in took it to a rv repair place for replacement.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Going to start taking it apart in the morning. Going to watch a few you tube videos 1st to get idea of what to look for and help repairing. My luck lately I'll be replacing the whole topper. I'll post what I find out.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Got the bent corner straightened out of the slide and reattached the mounting bracket. Ran the slide in and out. The roller tube is acting like it doesn't want to unroll. The roller tube is bending in the middle some when the slide is coming out. Looks like it's putting everything in a bind. Idea's?
Old 10-21-2019, 03:16 PM   #23

If the tube is bent in the middle, that reinforces that the tree / building that was involved hit the tube and the tube bent the mounts which bent the flange.

You can try to take the tube off and unbend it. I use a hydraulic press for such jobs. You could see if a steel post would fit into the ends to use that as leverage to unbend the tube on a piece of wood. Just put the kink on the wood and push down on both ends. Aluminum likes to bounce back. So, you will have to slightly overbend the tube to get is back to straight. Do a little at a time to ensure you don't snap the tube.

If you think you like to DIY stuff like this, a Harbor Freight 20 ton press is usually on sale for $150 and is perfect for this type of repair. But it does take up some floor space inbetween jobs. Just this one job will pay for the press if you succeed in unbending the tube and don't have to buy a new one.

Assuming you had a press, I put a large 6x6 timber on the bottom of the press. Then, put 2x4 blocks on the ends. Lay the tube on the blocks with the bend facing Up towards the hydraulic ram. Put another 2x4 inbetween the tube and the ram. Squeeze down the ram a little more than straight. When you release the ram, the tube should be pretty straight.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If the tube is bent in the middle, that reinforces that the tree / building that was involved hit the tube and the tube bent the mounts which bent the flange.

You can try to take the tube off and unbend it. I use a hydraulic press for such jobs. You could see if a steel post would fit into the ends to use that as leverage to unbend the tube on a piece of wood. Just put the kink on the wood and push down on both ends. Aluminum likes to bounce back. So, you will have to slightly overbend the tube to get is back to straight. Do a little at a time to ensure you don't snap the tube.

If you think you like to DIY stuff like this, a Harbor Freight 20 ton press is usually on sale for $150 and is perfect for this type of repair. But it does take up some floor space inbetween jobs. Just this one job will pay for the press if you succeed in unbending the tube and don't have to buy a new one.

Assuming you had a press, I put a large 6x6 timber on the bottom of the press. Then, put 2x4 blocks on the ends. Lay the tube on the blocks with the bend facing Up towards the hydraulic ram. Put another 2x4 inbetween the tube and the ram. Squeeze down the ram a little more than straight. When you release the ram, the tube should be pretty straight.
Dav,

May be bent was the wrong word to use. There is no actual dent, it's more like sagging. My guess is because the topper is so long. It has a support bracket in the middle for the tube to rest on. I thought that the tube rested on it all the time but when the slide goes out the tube wants to jump up on top of the slide. Does that makes any sense, hard to explain. Lol. I'll try to get a video tomorrow that may help with my explanation.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #25

When the tube is rolling while the slide is going in / out...does it wobble? If it does, then it is "bent". If it is always sagging towards earth, then it's just "flimsy" and that's not the issue.

I also am not talking about a Dent, but Bent.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:43 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Repaired the other mounting bracket. Looks like that corrected the problem. Couldn't get a good video being parked under the carport in the shade. Had to research a little to find out how many turns to wind the spring on each side. 13 turns seemed to be the answer. I might have to redo them, I set the with the slide extended. I'll watch it for awhile and if need be I'll reset them with the slide almost retracted. The tube had no wobble and stayed resting on the center support racket while opening and closing the slide.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #27

My 1st thought was the topper “locked “ with the slide in. Putting the slide out with the topper fighting it caused the topper arms to bend , pulling them and the top slide flange causing them to bend towards the coach.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I ran the slide in and out a couple of more times this evening. I got the same problem with the topper jumping up over the cradle that supports the middle of the topper tube. I did rewind the springs with the slide almost closed. I have come to the conclusion that I need to order new vinyl. There is a lot of slack in the vinyl on each end, due to age and flapping from the wind. My guess for the tube jumping over the top of the cradle is that once the slide gets almost half open the ends (vinyl) are no longer taught because of the slack and the middle is having to do all the work and it's pulling the tube up and over the cradle. Ordering new vinyl tomorrow.

Tags
driver, slide