Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Slide won't close

I have a 2006 DSDP model 3817, with 3 slides. All of a sudden, my large driver's side slide won't close. It is making a loud clunking noise like it wants to close but it sounds like the gear is stripped. My slides have worked just fine all these years, and this is the first time this has happened. Anyone know what it might be?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a quick look underneath slide and see if sprockets are missing teeth?
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 PM   #3

Slide wont close - update

Since I posted my last info about the large slide not closing. I took a look underneath and looked at the motor for the slide and the gears. Where the motor shaft connects to the two slide gear shafts, there is a rim housing that both slide shafts meet and go to. Right inside that rim type housing I found a loose set screw. I could not find a place where it went to.

The motor is working just fine, and it is trying to turn the slide shafts, but it keeps slipping and making a knocking type noise. Is the set screw the problem, and where does it go?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
On each side of the motor there should be a shaft. Follow the shaft to a collet. The collet is suppose to provide slipping if a bind occurs. Does the shaft on both sides of the collet turn? If not, the bind needs to be found or the collet tightened. One will need a 1 1/2" crows foot to change the adjustment.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is what Gary is talking about.
If you need new one.
Read the whole link.
If the LR slide has a problem getting up the ramp you may need to increase the current to the motor by a very small advance of the pot on the slide control board and I mean small.
All slide information is in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide