Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Slideout Controller and Newmar Response

Lots of posts are questions or issues with negative responses so I thought I would offer up my experience with Newmar Customer Service this week that is positive.

We arrived at Cape Henlopen State Park yesterday for the holiday weekend and started to set up. First two slides went out fine, but went to put out the third and no response. Opened the bay where the controllers are located and noticed one was dead (no lights). Swapped controllers and slide went out perfectly. Emailed Newmar detailing the issue and what I had done to troubleshoot and asked if there was anything else they recommended. Within 20 minutes I received a call to follow up. We discussed my troubleshooting and since I had walked away from the coach agreed I would send pictures and we would sync up today. First thing this morning the phone rang and Newmar said the controller was indeed dead and asked to send a new one.

It’s unfortunate the controller had issues, but how Newmar handled the situation is why I bought the brand. Oh and I’m out of warranty by two months.

On another note, Newmar is no longer using C-Storm controllers for those that have them. They are now using controllers made by the slideout motor manufacturer.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Lots of posts are questions or issues with negative responses so I thought I would offer up my experience with Newmar Customer Service this week that is positive.

We arrived at Cape Henlopen State Park yesterday for the holiday weekend and started to set up. First two slides went out fine, but went to put out the third and no response. Opened the bay where the controllers are located and noticed one was dead (no lights). Swapped controllers and slide went out perfectly. Emailed Newmar detailing the issue and what I had done to troubleshoot and asked if there was anything else they recommended. Within 20 minutes I received a call to follow up. We discussed my troubleshooting and since I had walked away from the coach agreed I would send pictures and we would sync up today. First thing this morning the phone rang and Newmar said the controller was indeed dead and asked to send a new one.

It’s unfortunate the controller had issues, but how Newmar handled the situation is why I bought the brand. Oh and I’m out of warranty by two months.

On another note, Newmar is no longer using C-Storm controllers for those that have them. They are now using controllers made by the slideout motor manufacturer.

Bill

Thanks, when you get a chance can you post a picture of the new controller and the manufacturer name?
Old 11-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I sure will.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well that's good to hear about C-Controller its been a problem.
Most older coach's may have these type controllers.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

There is a recall related to this issue. I have attached a copy. Information on the new controller is included in it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RCLRPT-18V438 - Slideout Movement.pdf (714.6 KB, 460 views)
Ken Gluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Received the new slideout controller that is now being used by Newmar for electric slideouts. Will install next week prior to our last trip of the year.

It is Part APN-0159 made by Klauber Machine and Gear, who makes the slideout motors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	227729
Old 12-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
Received the new slideout controller that is now being used by Newmar for electric slideouts. Will install next week prior to our last trip of the year.

It is Part APN-0159 made by Klauber Machine and Gear, who makes the slideout motors.

Attachment 227729

Thanks for the followup!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have added new links in the Important Newmar information link, controllers, motor drives, parts list dealer locations.

Its wise to check this link at times because I add items at times with out announcing, like this post.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #9

BTW, from reading the Recall Docs (thanks Ken!), it appears there are 2 versions of the controller (different amperage) that are slide specific. I infer that means they are NOT externally adjustable like the older Intellitec. However, no telling whats under the Orange Sticker on the face of the controller ... maybe nothing ... maybe just an identifier.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";4524503]I have added new links in the [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/important-information-for-newmar-owners-375453.html
Important Newmar[/URL][/B] information link, controllers, motor drives, parts list dealer locations.

Its wise to check this link at times because I add items at times with out announcing, like this post.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
BTW, from reading the Recall Docs (thanks Ken!), it appears there are 2 versions of the controller (different amperage) that are slide specific. I infer that means they are NOT externally adjustable like the older Intellitec. However, no telling whats under the Orange Sticker on the face of the controller ... maybe nothing ... maybe just an identifier.

I see no available adjustment on these controllers. The old one had no adjustment either.

I suspect you are correct about two versions. I noticed while researching my original issue that there was two different versions based on amperage. Looks to still be the case.

Bill
Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of the older controllers did have pots on them to increase the current to your motor so the driver slide motor could get the slide up its ramp as the coach aged.
I haven't looked into this new type controller but maybe its designed to automatically to increase the current when needed to the motor.
The drivers side slide was the only one I ever had to increase on my 1999 MA, the bedroom or kitchine slides were on the flat floor no ramp.
You can still get the old controllers just click on picture to find out how to order.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Slideout Controller and Newmar Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

This is correct, the larger slide like kitchen and living area may require amp version. The small slide like wardrobe and bedroom require the 11 amp version. I maybe wrong on this but I believe the orange dot denotes the 21 amp version. Read the following caution:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4418.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	227798  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
This is correct, the larger slide like kitchen and living area may require amp version. The small slide like wardrobe and bedroom require the 11 amp version. I maybe wrong on this but I believe the orange dot denotes the 21 amp version. Read the following caution:

I read the doc and apparently the controller will display the amperage (LED display). However, that won't help whoever is picking/packing for shipment unless it's marked. The Klauber P/N (apparently 1 number) vs. the Newmar P/Ns (2 numbers) make it a bit difficult for the user. As you mentioned, the orange dot may be significant. Also, a pot may be under the cover and someone thinks we are too stupid to properly adjust it. I've adjusted my flat-floor (drop-down) slide a few times to compensate for weight of "stuff" in the upper compartments and the 4 under couch/dining drawers.

Tags
newmar, slide, slideout