Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
rjw

i have a 2002 dutch star,new at this,should the slides be lock,when i pick it up they was not,but read that they shoud be,thanks for any imput.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #2
rjw

i have a 2002 dutch star,new at this,should the slides be lock,when i pick it up they was not,but read that they shoud be,thanks for any imput.
rjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 AM   #3

I would advise locking slides before taking MH on the road. They are there for your safety. Although uncommon, I have had a slide go out on a Fiver I previously owned. Not a good feeling. Just be very careful about unlocking slides before extending.
By the way, what model do you have?Ours has been a great coach and wish you luck with yours.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #4

As a previous owner of an '02 DSDP and for that matter all Newmars, I would use the locks. I know many dealer do not bother, however generally they don't go very far as they may only do a demo drive. Enjoy, that's a nice coach.

Peter
Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome rjw to irv2 and the Newmar forum.
You will get alot of pro's and con's on this one but on all three Newmars I have had the slides have been locked.
One reason is I had a Bounder without a slide and I was pulling a popup when we got cut off by a four wheeler that bumped the passenger front bumper and cause the MH to swerve to the left from just a slite touch of the 4 wheelers rear bumper. The effort to bring the coach under control with popup swinging around in back, if I had slides unlocked the accident would have been alot worse with family on board and when the car was spinning around to come back and hit me again dead center at front passenger wheel.
While this was going on truckers were trying to avoid us also.
So all slides are locked, they are manual, new MH's have auto electic locks so Newmar still seems to think they are needed.
Another reason its a good idea it will keep the slide wall sealed to the gasket so no water or wind noise will make your ride unpleasent.
Enjoy the forum and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #6

Just get in the habit of locking the slides unless you're going to run them out.

(btw: locking a slide while you run it out is a Really Bad Idea. Right up there with ignoring Alice's warning about keeping seats, chairs, etc. clear of the slide-out area. Don't ask me how I know any of this, I just do But at least it's something you'll do a maximum of once)
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My vote is to lock the slides then moving the coach. My slides are locked or the coach is not moved.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote