Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Slides went out while driving!!

I have an 05' DS DP on a Freightliner Chassis. The coach has 4 slides with locking arms. Recently I was driving through the burbs headed to the Superhighway when I heard the 'voice' announcing that the slide locks were retracting! I was in the middle of a long curve & it took several seconds to get pulled over. The driver side LR slide was deploying as I pulled over. After cycling the slide switch I noticed the Pass side slide locks were open but the slide had not moved. I then saw in the mirror that the drivers side bedroom slide was all the way deployed. After getting all slides/locks to their normal position I drove slowly to a large paking lot & cycled each slide individually. Thankfully no damage to anything or anyone but I hate to think what may have happened if I made it onto the highway. Newmar advised they heard this happening about 3 times. Advised me to check the 9 pin plug for current with key off (if there is current then the module is ok) and all checked ok. Anyone experience this? Any ideas?
garyricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyricc View Post
I have an 05' DS DP on a Freightliner Chassis. The coach has 4 slides with locking arms. Recently I was driving through the burbs headed to the Superhighway when I heard the 'voice' announcing that the slide locks were retracting! I was in the middle of a long curve & it took several seconds to get pulled over. The driver side LR slide was deploying as I pulled over. After cycling the slide switch I noticed the Pass side slide locks were open but the slide had not moved. I then saw in the mirror that the drivers side bedroom slide was all the way deployed. After getting all slides/locks to their normal position I drove slowly to a large paking lot & cycled each slide individually. Thankfully no damage to anything or anyone but I hate to think what may have happened if I made it onto the highway. Newmar advised they heard this happening about 3 times. Advised me to check the 9 pin plug for current with key off (if there is current then the module is ok) and all checked ok. Anyone experience this? Any ideas?
We have a 2004 DSDP on a Spartan chassis and have not and hopefully will not have it happen. This experiance has now made you an official member of the "Royal Pucker Factor Club". Your rating on a scale of 10 was most likely very high. Could corrosion in the mentioned plug have been a factor; don't know. I would possibly clean the contacts with an electrical contact spray cleaner and then apply a litlle Ox-Gard antioxident grease before reconnecting. I will periodically do this throughout the coach anyway when I think of it. The phone type connections on your roof acs/thermostats is a good example of weird things that can happen from corrosion. Sure as hell if you go out a buy a pack of adult diapers for the next time, it won't happen.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #3

No slides, good thing?
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #4

Maybe you were going too fast and they deployed to help you slow down? They make great air brakes at speed just like flaps down in an aircraft.

I remember reading on another forum once that someone asked if it's okay to drive your MH with the slides out. Many posted that you've got to be kidding and how dangerous that would be. Then someone noticed that it was posted in the humor section! Don't think that's the case here though...

Sorry, I am of absolutely no help other than to suggest taking it to a shop.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #5

My recent post about our bedroom slide closing on it's own is nothing compare to this! So now we have to pull the fuses in drive mode also
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Interesting thing is, they're not supposed to work with the engine running.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary:Have you owned your MH since it was? Did you add any thing new to your unit lately? Has a black cat crossed if front of your MH while driving.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm confused, I think. I gather that locking arm retraction is now automated as part of the slide extension. Not so on mine. I'm not sure if I like that idea. But, as someone else mentioned, my slides won't operate with the ignition on.

There sometimes seem to be a fair number of bizarre electrical interactions in Newmars. Or is it all motorhomes? I have some weirdness also: my kitchen and bedroom slides will not operate if the bathroom overhead lights are on. If that's a designed safety precaution, it certainly represents some forward thinking! OTOH, I suspect that there are all sorts of ground loops in the wiring. Perhaps its all planned just to keep the owners out of bars!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would question how the locks would open with the engine running. My DSDP won't. Plus you had it happen on multiple slides, very strange. Plus what triggered the opening? I would have it looked at before anymore trips. Like you said it woulda been a mess on the highways.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you read this PDF you will see some controls with a lead to the ignition switch to prevent slide operation.
If you have this switch page 5 it may not be returning to disconnect position.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Mystery continues

Thanks for all the replies..The coach is currently in the shop however they, along with Newmar cannot replicate/identify the problem. I was told that it could have been from moisture/condensation or a random RF signal....that sure makes me feel better. Someone keying up their CB or opening their garage can make me a 'Wide Body' in a flash. The slides are not supposed to work with the ignition 'on' & certainly not while running. Perhaps as suggested I need to pull the fuse to drive & while parked or get several cargo straps & wrap them around the coach!!!! Certainly is a misery oh I mean mystery.
garyricc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Possible to install a conveniently located master switch to unpower all four controllers?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #13

Maybe you could split the main power line to the slide system with a relay and put a toggle switch on the dash somewhere convenient to assure this won't happen again while driving. Or you could use a normally closed relay which would energize with the key on and disable the power line when you turn on the ignition.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
There must be an issue with the controllers not seeing the ignition signal on pin 9 of the plug or 12 volts is not being supplied to the wire. Even with rf signals the controller should see 12 volts on pin 9 and not let the cotroller move the locks or the slides. Add the fact that you have 3 controllers that have done this.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote