RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Thought I would get this out in the forum with it's own topic,since I had posted it in my "new rig" specific forum.

Seems that over the past few nights the HWH hydraulic leveling jack in the rear street side location is slipping.
This is our first trip with this brand new coach and the first night it did it three or four different times and last night it waited until 0600 this morning,but has now done it three times already.

The sound is a loud thump,along with a spring "sound" and the "action" of this happening shakes the entire coach which is a bit unnerving to say the least!

I'll be calling either the dealer or HWH this morning,but wanted to run this by you folks to see if you've ever had this happen.

The consensus around the Rally is the existence of a hydraulic leak that allows the pressure to release. When I tried yesterday morning to "re-level" with the system to see what happened,the system only adjusted a front jack...

I'll put this in Newmar and in the problems/solutions area....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Thought I would get this out in the forum with it's own topic,since I had posted it in my "new rig" specific forum.

Seems that over the past few nights the HWH hydraulic leveling jack in the rear street side location is slipping.
This is our first trip with this brand new coach and the first night it did it three or four different times and last night it waited until 0600 this morning,but has now done it three times already.

The sound is a loud thump,along with a spring "sound" and the "action" of this happening shakes the entire coach which is a bit unnerving to say the least!

I'll be calling either the dealer or HWH this morning,but wanted to run this by you folks to see if you've ever had this happen.

The consensus around the Rally is the existence of a hydraulic leak that allows the pressure to release. When I tried yesterday morning to "re-level" with the system to see what happened,the system only adjusted a front jack...

I'll put this in Newmar and in the problems/solutions area....

Old 07-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
My coach had a similar problem early on. The right rear jack would slowly retract when there was weight on it.

As a reference, I raised the rear of the coach and took a measurement from the jack pad to the cylinder end, in other words measured the length of the extended portion of the piston. Knowing the piston diameter and that it was retracting around 1-1/4" per day, I figured I did not have an external hose leak as I'd be loosing a couple cubic inches of hydraulic fluid a day, and that would be visable. If you do have a leak at a hose junction or fitting, you should be able to snug up a fitting to fix it.

The only other way for the piston to retract is to have a leaky solenoid valve or loose emergency shut off valve on that particular jack. The shutoff valve is easy to check. Check your manual for the proper valve, then open the valve manually to allow the jack to retract slightly (of course do not have the weight of the coach supported by the jacks when doing this) then close the valve again. If the jack continues to retract by itself when supporting the coach, the solenoid valve itself is defective.

My problem indeed was the solenoid and when I informed HWH what I did so far, they concurred and sent me a replacement valve. Installing it is a little messy, but relatively easy, as it just screws into the hydraulic manifold and you're good to go.

I'm a little puzzled by your comment that the system only readjusted a front when you releveled. Is that because the rear was not low enough to require adjustment or the system tried to raise the rear but could not?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:14 AM   #4

Jack slipping #1

Jack slipping #2

Bob, these may help. Ihave pics in a Word doc. If you want to see them, I can attach in regular e-mail.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

I'm not sure Joe.... I guess what confused me was that it didn't seem the jack that was slipping actually moved any when I tried to relevel.

Thomas, THANK YOU for the links!!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I guess what confused me was that it didn't seem the jack that was slipping actually moved any when I tried to relevel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just about to ask you that very question when you posted the answer!

If the jack has not in fact moved, then what you are hearing/feeling is some piece of metal contracting as the evening cools off. A fuel tank is one common thing thatcan do that, especially if its vent is inoperative for some reason. A fuel tank (or water tank, sometimes) can contract slowly in the chilly night air until finally it slips a bit through its mounting brackets, with a resounding clang and shudder that vibrates and echoes through the rig. The springs on the levelers vibrate too. I had that problem with the fuel tank on a 96 Southwind and have heard it reported by quite a few others.

If its a venting problem, try loosening the fuel filler cap in the evening to see if that stops it.

In any case, report it to the manufacturer and ask for a warranrty repair. It won't get better by itself.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Gary, your theory is an interesting one except for the fact the scenario now only will repeat itself if both my wife and I are standing in or near the rear of the coach as just occurred this minute.
Nothing all night and now,as we get ready for the day,we were both near the closet and.....whoomp!

I'm sure in certain coaches your theory would stand the test, but I'm relatively certain, especially given my dealer's response,that the issue I own is related to the jack,whether it's an air leak or faulty solenoid.

What I DO find interesting is the statement my dealer's service manager made to me relating to him having to convince HWH to send me a NEW solenoid valve and not a refurbed one.... Let's hope HWH holds their head high and does the right thing.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:55 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Nothing all night and now,as we get ready for the day,we were both near the closet and.....whoomp! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmmmmmm. Can't be your DW as slim as she is.

Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had the same problem with a Bounder I had with single jack in front center. You would feel the jolt and springs ring out on drop. Would happen when least expected. The solenoid valve if it gets some dirt in it will cause the problem. I have one jack up front when parked in driveway will get dirt on extended shaft and if I forget to clean before retracting has messed up jack now have to help jack to retrack with bar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #10

Bob,
It sounds like you are having the same problem we had on our 2000 National Sea View. We would be awakened with a big bang and jolt. I felt it had something to do with the jacks, so called Power Gear (the manufacturer)and the guy laughed and said it was an "earthquake." He told me to spray the extensions with silicone every three or four months and that would take care of the problem. Sure enough, it did! That was about two years ago and it hasn't happened again. Now I carry a can of silicone and give them a shot every 3-4 months.

Hope this works for you.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks guys....

As she's under warranty and I already have to head to Howard RV for a Wednesday appointment, I think I'll let Gary and the gang there in the service department check things over....
Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #12

I have the same issue with my '05 4502. The factory couldn't find a problem in the HWH system. It happens only at night when the rear is jacked up and when parked on blacktop or concrete. Must be a very small leak somewhere.
Hope you post the answer.

John, Destin, Fl.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

racer0624, WELCOME to iRV2!!

Had the dealer look at the HWH jacks and they're of the opinion there's nothing wrong after raising and lowering them four times...
Picked the coach up, moved it to their "transient parking area" for the night and everything was ok until I started moving around in the rear of the coah..... BAM!!! and BOING!!!

Kind of unneerving to say the least....

When I mentioned it to Gary the service manager this morning he acted like it happens all the time as he said his desk is right next to the service bays....SORRY Gary, I ain't buyin' into that one.

I might add that when we were parked in Knoxville it didn't do it at all and we were on a hard pan dirt site, whereas in Sevierville and at Howard's lot it's all stone...

Sorry I don't have an answer...
Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
It sounds to me like it is time to start swapping parts. Are the jacks the same all the way around? If so, consider having them swap the offending jack to another position. This will tell you, in short order, if it is the jack or another part in the system. What ever the result, at least you will have a path to follow. It's better than having them giving you answers that start with "Once Upon A Time".

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote