Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #29

I do and they do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nest.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	233931  
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #30
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Haven't tried them in the motorhome. Here is an article and video I found with Google from someone's blog. He claims it works well.

https://outsideourbubble.com/smoke-d...ing-motorhome/
Old 02-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #31
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
I do and they do!
How do they work with cooking in the motorhome? My wife broke the mount on our front smoke detector while cooking. Looking to replace it with something she can tolerate.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #32

They will not go off with steam. With smoke, you can silence them from your phone, tablet, or on the device itself.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #33

I went with them because I just didn't trust the little cheap ones that were installed in the coach. I wasn't even sure when I tested them if they tested ok. The battery operated Nest is an easy replacement of the existing alarms with no further screws needed and they are definitive as to them working. The wifi benefit is icing on the cake,,at least for me.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like enough validation for me. Replacing the ones in the house may be viable as well for a complete setup.

So how many and where in the basement should they go? Cord reel bay sounds good. Oasis may trigger false alarms I’m thinking as the diesel burner may not be as clean as we think. So maybe next to the inverter in the slideout bay? Two should suffice?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #35
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to try one in the electrical bay and one in the front of the coach. The electrical bay has a small gap in the back connected to the main storage and a small square hole connected to the oil burner area. I also like the idea of having a CO monitor in the coach since the all electric does not have one.

I have never smelled smoke in the basement from the oil burner. Guess it can be moved it if it gets false alarms.

Costco's website says a 2 pack is $199.99.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought there was a CO monitor in the coach, bedroom I think. I’ll have to check.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #37
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I thought there was a CO monitor in the coach, bedroom I think. I’ll have to check.
You are correct Neil. It is a CO detector in the bedroom, not a smoke detector!

So since the wife broke the smoke detector up front, we have been without a smoke detector for some time. Thought they were both smoke detectors so we were ok with the one in the bedroom. Learned something here again today.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Costco's website says a 2 pack is $199.99.
Costco tends to sell obsolete/clearance items, be sure you're getting what you want, i.e. the latest. I'll check as well at my local Costco after checking Amazon, Walmart online, etc.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #39

i got mine from costco. they are the version 2. I have not been on the road nor used the oasis since putting mine in, so I can't say where is best for sure. I don't think the Oasis will cause a problem though. The basement is enclosed and small enough I think one should do the job.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
i got mine from costco. they are the version 2. I have not been on the road nor used the oasis since putting mine in, so I can't say where is best for sure. I don't think the Oasis will cause a problem though. The basement is enclosed and small enough I think one should do the job.
Agree, smoke will float and build at the top so anywhere in the basement would suffice. Just pay attention to where smoke would travel. Additional is just waste/excess most likely. If there was a building code involved they'd probably just require one.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
You are correct Neil. It is a CO detector in the bedroom, not a smoke detector!

So since the wife broke the smoke detector up front, we have been without a smoke detector for some time. Thought they were both smoke detectors so we were ok with the one in the bedroom. Learned something here again today.
I didn't look closely, I assumed the detector in the bedroom was a second smoke detector. hI have a stand alone CO detector on vanity, but not mounted yet.

May be overkill, but I've been thinking three smoke detectors in 4369 (front, bedroom and rear bath) is what makes sense to give most time to fight fire or escape.

In basement, I think power compartment and main area (have to look for my inverter). Do the walls around Oasis go all the way up or is there a gap?

Does Nest have a high heat temp sensor, which could be used in engine bay? I would think it would have to be either a 145 or 170 degree version to avoid false alarms.

I looked at the first alert connect series and on paper they look great, but Amazon reviews are horrid (failures and false alarms)
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nest is developing a garage heat sensor only, but it is not yet available.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote