Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Smoke detector in basement

There was a discussion in the suggestions for Newmar thread about a smoke detector in the basement. Rather that being a discussion there I'm starting a new thread. One user mentioned a smoke detector is between the rails in the basement per Newmar but I am not aware of one and haven't seen on. If you know this to be true, tell us where it is.

Meanwhile while shopping at Lowes today I bought one of these:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1594.png
Views:	182
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	233761  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
There was a discussion in the suggestions for Newmar thread about a smoke detector in the basement. Rather that being a discussion there I'm starting a new thread. One user mentioned a smoke detector is between the rails in the basement per Newmar but I am not aware of one and haven't seen on. If you know this to be true, tell us where it is.

I agree Neal! I also added one...right after we brought her home. I will probably add a second to the electrical cable bay.
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post

Great idea! Thanks for the idea.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
GKU

OK How would you hear it...especially traveling at 60 mph. Not saying it's a bad idea, just want to make sure their usable.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
While driving...no. This is where some with the smart phone connected devices would benefit. I'll take that risk. But when not driving, yes, I'll hear it. Then comes the thought, what about in storage? Well, I really couldn't do much about it in storage but on that note I do use a Honeywell Lyris security camera and it does alert on sounds and motion. I've had smoke detector batteries die when I'm on a trip and it triggers my home camera and then I can adjust the sensitivity if needed. There are options and we can't cover them all but it's better than what I have now - nothing (presumably).
Old 02-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #6

That is the beauty of the nest,,,they all communicate with each other and give you a verbal alarm telling you which is going off. There is no guessing where the beeping or alarm is coming from and you get email notice as well
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
That is the beauty of the nest,,,they all communicate with each other and give you a verbal alarm telling you which is going off. There is no guessing where the beeping or alarm is coming from and you get email notice as well
I agree, I am looking at the nest and others like it for my solution.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #8

I have three of these. One in basement near cord reel, another near inverter and the third in the location near the front door.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #9

There are also Zigbee and Z-Wave wireless smoke, Co2, Carbon Monoxide detectors etc that can be part of an "RV automation" system. The wireless sensors in baggage and in cockpit can send the issue message that you can have an in cockpit alarm go off, and your smartphone.
If the RV was network connected, then you would also get a message if you were not local to the RV.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Costco has their smoke and CO alarms on sale. 2 smoke detectors for 22$ and the CO I think were 2 for 37$. Neal suggestion is a good one. We have had smoke and CO detectors in outside cabinets on our Essex starting in 2010 when propane frig fires were really going. That is also when we put the residential frig in. We all know that there are many fires in RV's and this is one way to prepare for and get a early alarm to exit your coach.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #11

I have not only an additional smoke detector mounted in the basement, but I carry two additional fire extinguishers in the basement (one on each side). A 4th extinguisher is mounted just inside the man door of my toad trailer.

These extra pieces of safety equipment have more to do with being stationary then running down the road.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #12

Our coaches are shaking when traveling down the road so then it's more to likely to have a chance of fire then when camping/parked. Because we drive them less then 2% of the time we own them there will be fires when parked too. Always good to be pro active when addressing fire protection.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
This thread is very very very specific. 007 kindly keep this thread on topic for us. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I am unaware of any "smoke detector" installed "between the frame rails" by Newmar; at least in our 2018 Mountain Aire. And, since I can't find any reference to one in the flight case materials, I'm guessing they don't. With something like a smoke detector, there would be considerable liability if they did put one there and didn't inform the buyer of the need to maintain it.

That said, installing a smoke detector in the cargo bay area could certainly provide some peace of mind. I'm currently exploring the options for "smart" smoke alarms that would not only provide an audible warning, but would also send a text warning to my cell phone. That would be especially useful when we are away from the coach. There are a few different "smart" units out there, but each one also seems to have some drawbacks.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote