Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Smoke in the Basement. Tank Monitor?

Has anyone experienced an electrical failure with the tank monitors?

This evening, we noticed a strong burning (electrical) smell in the coach. I checked the basement and found it full of acrid smoke. I opened up all the doors to clear it. No more formed. I looked all around and everything seemed normal. The shore power was normal. I thought everything inside was normal but then found the tank monitors to be non-functional with a blown fuse.

Any inputs on this appreciated.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:05 AM   #2

Assuming you are referring to the black/gray/fresh tanks or (maybe)propane level monitor. You mentioned an acrid smell , was it like burning plastic or different ? Well, at first thought you may have a short to ground on the (a) tank monitor circuit wiring somewhere. On second thought I would be surprised that the monitoring wiring design would produce that much current to burn wiring insulation prior to blowing a fuse. A visual inspection of all tank(s)wiring for chafing on a chassis part might not be a bad idea anyway. Following monitor sensor wiring to the control electronics for the tank monitoring look for signs of heat damage. A schematic from Newmar is a big plus to see what's all on this circuit. If you are handy with a volt/ohm meter ( I assume that's a ham handle in your sig line which means you are ) you can disconnect monitor wiring from the controls and see correct sensor resistance and any shorts to ground. Look at the +12 vdc supply fuse to the controls wiring for problems as well. Just be careful if you decide to pop in a new fuse after looking the wiring over , 12 volt fires are rare but can happen.

Had a similar situation on our Newmar one hot summer day after parking and running the inverter hard . We started to smell it inside the coach , went out and opened the bay door and it was filled with smoke. Detailed inspection reveled nothing more than maybe the transformer varnish in the inverter got hot and smoked a bit. The inverter continues to work fine a year later. It was still a scary experience nonetheless. There is a lot going on electrical/controls wise in the basement area. Good luck!
rdurdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

It was a plastic/bakelite kind of smell. Something was burning for a while to fill the basement with smoke. Unsettling for sure.

I'll call Newmar and see what they can provide. I should be able to track down a fault if I can figure out where things are located and get a schematic.

I see the fresh water sensors behind the wet bay panel. Don't know where the black tank sensors are located.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would start my investigation by removing the pegboard wall, which will give you a good view of the tanks and all the hidden wiring.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 AM   #5

All of my tank sensors are like flexible printed circuit boards. They are simply stuck to the appropriate tank and the wires are taped to the tank side using something similar to Gorilla tape which has all come loose anyway.

I always thought it was odd that Newmar did nothing to protect the printed circuit board/sensors and wire connections of the sensor strip. I can see how it would be pretty easy for something to get against the strip and short things out.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #6

The problem appears have been caused by a failed module located next to the water pump called "Water Pump Control (WPC145)" which takes input from each of the little water pump switches and (de)activates the water pump. The thing is obviously fried.

Sent an email/photos to C-Storm Electronics to get their input

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5760.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	235528 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5762.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	235527
Old 02-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #7

We have had on our Essex the automatic electrical transfer box burn up but didn't damage compartment. Just in July had our power cord reel catch on fire on our 18 LA and again luckily didn't cause much damage in compartment. We and many other Newmar owners are putting smoke detectors in numerous outside compartments for these electrical fires.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar should be installing smoke detectors in the basement critical areas.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #9

Cord reels are particularly vulnerable because of mechanical way the power is transferred within the reel. Of all the luxury features this is one I don't want on my RV.

If you have one, carefully inspect it every 6 months or so, check for loose connections, pinched wiring and any binding during operation. If you can see the slip rings or brushes, look for signs of arcing (carbon, pitting, scorch marks).
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Cord reels are particularly vulnerable
Agree. Ours failed a couple of years ago. No fire on it though. One AC leg failed open at the brushes.

Also agree about a basement smoke detector. Going to add one ASAP.

I got the WPC removed (photo) from behind the wet bay panel using a mirror and flashlight. I'll need to remove the panel to replace it since the push-on connector for 12 volts got melted into a blob. Glad it wasn't the tank sensors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5765.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	235544
Old 02-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff....personally, I think the C-Storm model is a cheap product. I would replace it with the Intellitec model available on Amazon. It's a direct replacement. On my last coach, the C-Storm failed in the first six months. I got a new C-Storm from Newmar as a warranty item, but I put it in my box of spare parts and bought an Intellitec model. They're about $40.00 and worth having a spare.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Jeff....personally, I think the C-Storm model is a cheap product. I would replace it with the Intellitec model available on Amazon. It's a direct replacement. On my last coach, the C-Storm failed in the first six months. I got a new C-Storm from Newmar as a warranty item, but I put it in my box of spare parts and bought an Intellitec model. They're about $40.00 and worth having a spare.

I was going to say the same thing!
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #13

Ordered the Intellitec controller. Newmar no longer uses C-Storm. Fingers crossed hoping I can reach behind the panel enough to replace the push-on connector.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Did you get it from Newmar or somewhere else?
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, tank