Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Leave for the Spartan on Sunday. I have around 6-8" of snow on my roof right now, all lighter powder.

Can I just drive away and let the wind and warmth do its trick? Or should I get the snow off first? (please don't tell me the second option, it's cold & slippery up there.)
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Leave for the Spartan on Sunday. I have around 6-8" of snow on my roof right now, all lighter powder.

Can I just drive away and let the wind and warmth do its trick? Or should I get the snow off first? (please don't tell me the second option, it's cold & slippery up there.)
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 AM   #3

Javajelly

I don't know how it would apply on motorhomes, but I know on semis, if the snow / ice on the top of a trailer flies off and causes damage to a vehicle behind them (or worse) an accident, the trucker is liable. I would say it would be prudent to try and remove the majority of it. At the very least it'll cause a period of whitout behind you.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Scott, funny you mention this...

When I left Kenly,NC the other day from the Flying J, there was a trucker in front of me with sheets of slush and ice that were sliding off his trailer and they were coming down RIGHT in front of me....Had I not been going slow at the start of the intersection,there'd have been the chance that those sheets of ice would've come down on me on the roadway and I may have had some damage...

In my professional life,it was held that you are liable for the condition of that rig and any damage to it or another vehicle as a result of your action/inaction.

While it's slippery and I wouldn't advocate WALKING on it, I'm thinking you should at least exercize some effort in getting some of it off with a ladder if possible...
If not possible to safely remove it,you'll just have to turn your CB off until it clears cuz you'll get an earful...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
PA has a new law effective Jan. 1.

The owner is responsible for any damage done by snow or ice falling off his vehicle.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Even if you weren't legally respomnsible you still should be courteous enough to not cause any issues with blowing snow. I live in the country and will blow it off on the road sometimes if there's nobody around and it's a slow time and my coach is due for it's monthly exercise. If I have to leave any other time I'll scrape it off with a squeegee. But, I added 3M SafetyWalk to my roof so I have great traction. It's a light gray rubberized strip that runs pretty much the whole length of the coach. It comes in various widths and is popular in marine deck applications. It isn't cheap but neither are doctor bills.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote