Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

So do you need a special license to drive a rig OVER 26,000 pounds???

Was looking at some threads about the 26,000lb F-53 CHASSIS being put on the Newmar gas coaches over 33 feet and there appeared to be concern about special licenses. So I found this article which may be helpful to those looking for a 26,000lb chassis upgrade on Newmar gas models over 33 feet.

So you know, if you comply with the laws of the state where you reside and are licensed and registered the full faith and credit clause of the US Constitution HAS YOU COVERED

Here is what I found current to January of 2017:

" If you’re driving any vehicle under 26,000 lbs–and most of them are–you are clear to drive with a regular operator’s driver’s license according to current, up-to-date DMV laws in all 50 states. NOTE: there is a very popular article online by changinggears.com that will say otherwise, but it is because its information is out-of-date.

2017 DMV Regulations: States and Situations That Require Special Licenses

• California (Need Class B Non-Commercial License if driving a vehicle weighing over 26K lb)

• Maryland (Need Class B Non-Commercial License if driving a vehicle weighing over 26K lb)

• Michigan (In the extremely rare situation you are towing a fifth wheel PLUS a trailer behind that, you need a license something called a Recreational Double “R”Endorsement on top of your regular operator license–their words, not mine).

• North Carolina (Need a Class B for a single vehicle over 26k lb; Need Class A to drive a combination of vehicles that weigh over 26K lbs)

• New Mexico (Need a Class B for a single vehicle over 26k lb; Need Class A to drive a combination of vehicles that weigh over 26K lbs)

• Nevada (Need a Class B for a single vehicle over 26k lb; Need Class A to drive a combination of vehicles that weigh over 26K lbs)

• Pennsylvania (Need Class A Non-Commercial for over 26K lbs with trailers, need Class B Non-Commercial for over 26k lb)

• Texas (Need Class B Non-Commercial License if driving a vehicle weighing over 26K lb)

• Washington, D.C.(Need a Class B for a single vehicle over 26k lb; Need Class A to drive a combination of vehicles that weigh over 26K lbs)

• Wyoming (Need Class A Non-Commercial for vehicles over 26k lb and towing over 10K lb; Need Class B Non-Commerical for vehicles over 26K and towing under 10K lb).
2017 DMV Regulations: States and Situations That Require a Commercial Driver’s License

• Connecticut (over 26k lb)

• Hawaii (over 26k lb)

• Kansas (Commercial Driver’s License, Class A needed for over 26K)

• Michigan (Commercial Driver’s License, Group A needed over 26K lbs)

• New York (Commercial Driver’s License, Class B needed for over 26k lb)

• South Carolina (Need a Commercial DL Class B for a single vehicle over 26k lb; Need Commercial DL Class A to drive a combination of vehicles that weigh over 26K lbs)

• Indiana (over 45k lb)

• Wisconsin (over 45’)

In this 2017 Guide of RV Driver’s Licenses Requirements, we’ve attempted to put together not only the up-to-date information about driver’s license requirements, but also up-to-date, useful links to each states’ EXACT licensing page. This has never been done on any other article on this topic online. We know that figuring out license requirements is a first step to feeling comfortable driving RVs, and we wanted you to feel in safe hands.
If you are concerned that your Class A RV may be approaching the 26,000 range and you live in one of the states listed above, get in touch with your local DMV by clicking on the links to learn more about your next steps.

Originally published September 12, 2016. Updated January 30, 2017. " .

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Coastal Campers
I may have read your post wrong, but, in South Carolina you need a non-commercial license E and F depending on under over 26k. I got my class F last year.
Here's from the SCDMV website:
Class E and F Driver’s Licenses

A Class E driver's license is required to drive non-commercial single unit vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) more than 26,000 pounds. Examples of Class E vehicles include trucks and motor homes (recreational vehicles/RVs). When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver.

A Class F license is required to drive non-commercial combination vehicles with a GVW more than 26,000 pounds. Class F vehicles are the same as Class E vehicles plus a towed trailer or vehicle. When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver.
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #3

The operative word being "more" than 26,000 pounds.

But perhaps you have a point if you OVERLOAD your 26,000lb chassis but nobody does that I believe the registration has the weight on it, at least in NY it does.

Plus the kind police officer would probably have to actually weigh your rig but as technology increases more and more they just might invent something like the heat gun you point and get the temp but only this one tells the weight...lol.

This makes me think of something else while traveling, does an RV have to stop if there is a truck weight station ahead? Or is that only for commercial vehicles?

Daniel
Old 11-20-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

My regular Arizona driver's is good everywhere in our 32k DP. That was one of our decision points in choosing AZ as our domicile.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

This makes me think of something else while traveling, does an RV have to stop if there is a truck weight station ahead? Or is that only for commercial vehicles?[/QUOTE]...

Weigh stations are for commercial vehicles where the driver is getting paid and they are suppose to have a DOT# assigned to them. The way I understand it is any weigh station citations go against the DOT number which shippers use to monitor trucking company safety. A private RV'r would not have a DOT account to issue citations against.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Your information for New Mexico is incorrect for a motorhome over 26,000. The A and B license are for commercial drivers. You need a Class E license for a motorhome. It is a Non-commercial, exempt veg over 26,000 lb. That is the license that I have and my coach is over 26,000.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
tvp

Good topic , I have a 2016 F-53 chassis on a Newmar Canyon Star, here in Ontario Canada we need a D licence to drive a RV with the GVW of 26,000 lbs. I new this going into the purchase and because of the extra capacity of a 26,000 lbs chassis and a more comfy ride of a coach not overloaded on the chassis I went down that road.
It involves a Doctor medical every year, and I choose to go sign up at a truck driving school for training and practice driving etc. In ontario you have to pass a 60 question paper exam with a 80 % pass score....then you have to pass a driving test on a commercial truck ( school supplied truck ) so all in all $ 1200.00 license upgrade to stay legal. In Ontario they need a RV designated License not a commercial truck license......[emoji15]
Old 11-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #8

"OVER" 26,000 does not typically mean or include 26,000 or less.

Btw, this was a website posting which I thought was interesting and not a formal legal opinion. I can only give those to New York residents or other state residents concerning New York law. Plus you must have a written retainer with my office to get one first

It is interesting to note though that some states will do anything for an extra buck these days Especially since RVing seems to be growing with all us baby boomers I think the stats this year are 11,000 a day retire wonder how many are getting RVs?

Daniel
Old 11-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #9

So do you need a special license to drive a rig OVER 26,000 pounds???

Illinois has class A, B, C and D licenses. Here is the breakdown:

A: GCWR greater than 26,000 and towing with GVWR greater than 10,000.
B: GCWR greater than 26,000 and towing less than 10,000.
C: GVWR greater than 16,000 and less than 26,000 and towing less than 10,000
D: GVWR less than 10,000 (this is the regular license everyone gets)

Before someone says RVs don’t need CDLs, those licenses above are not CDL.

If your vehicle has a GVWR greater than 16,000, you need a higher class license. Which one depends on what I stated above.

As you can see, if your trailer has a GVWR greater than 10,000, and your tow vehicle’s GVWR is greater than 16,000, you go straight to a class A.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #10

Excellent information. Oregon has no requirements for RV drivers other than a valid drivers license. And this information can be important for owners that may want to change residence states.

Thanks!
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg87111 View Post
Your information for New Mexico is incorrect for a motorhome over 26,000. The A and B license are for commercial drivers. You need a Class E license for a motorhome. It is a Non-commercial, exempt veg over 26,000 lb. That is the license that I have and my coach is over 26,000.
Correct, I used to live in NM and had the Class E as well. Class A and B are for commercial as stated. Technically the Class E covers more than just motorhomes, it is good for any vehicle over 26K.

Also agree that as a private non-commercial RV'er you do not need to stop at any weigh stations. Those are for commercial drivers, you are not commercial driving your RV, unless you happen to be a transport driver.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #12

You only need to qualify with your home state/province regulations. All other jurisdictions honor them.

You might want to forget Hawaii, it's a really long drive!

Peter
Old 11-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #13

In California, motorhomes (aka housecars) are exempt from the weight limitation. The license restriction is based on length - stating that housecars up to 40' 0" can be driven on a regular drivers license. Longer than that requires a class b non-commercial license.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
In California, motorhomes (aka housecars) are exempt from the weight limitation. The license restriction is based on length - stating that housecars up to 40' 0" can be driven on a regular drivers license. Longer than that requires a class b non-commercial license.

This is correct, the thing that most people don’t understand is that a 40 foot DS is actually 40’9” making it over 40 feet. So any DS above the 37’11” models fall into this category.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote