Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In regards to the warranty issue, I had the same problem with Workhorse Chassis. My chassis AC compressor failed in month 34 of my warranty and then failed again in month 37. When I went to have it fixed I was informed that the warranty had expired and they wouldn't cover it. I found it hard to believe but apparently that is the common practice.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Standard practice ... have a look at your warranty for a house water heater or most household appliances.
It's the same with computers. They also can and do make repairs with reworked/repaired parts. Often the repair does not exceed testing to see if they work or not. No idea how good the testing is. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Standard practice ... have a look at your warranty for a house water heater or most household appliances.

If you read the fine print you will find that items with a great sounding "limited lifetime warranty" are often "limited" to only one replacement.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
B Poland... was your unit replaced by someone with specific knowledge of Newmars? I had a bit of chaos a year ago when having my front unit replaced by a mobile tech in NH. Long story short, we went through two defective units direct from Dometic; the third unit operated but not properly, but we had to leave. Another tech in MA couldn't figure it out, but we finally stopped into Buddy Gregg's in Knoxville. They fixed it in ten minutes.
It seems that Newmars have a different ductwork setup than other MHs, and therefore a different mounting procedure. There's a baffle that has to be installed in a certain way for Newmars that is different from other coaches. Who knew?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #33

It seems so hit and miss on these A/C units. Is thee not a better A/C unit. Seems like this has been going on for some time. If you had a house A/C that had these type of failures it would be out of business by now. Is Dometic doing anything to improve the longevity of their units? Maybe no incentive
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #34

So Much For the Recently Replaced Dometic AC/HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
It seems so hit and miss on these A/C units. Is thee not a better A/C unit. Seems like this has been going on for some time. If you had a house A/C that had these type of failures it would be out of business by now. Is Dometic doing anything to improve the longevity of their units? Maybe no incentive

At one point, the Atwood AC units were considered as higher quality, but since Dometic bought Atwood a few years ago, who knows what's going to happen.

I gave up on the Penguin II series AC unit and went with the Blizzard and So far, they are a higher output, great cooling and heating, but I'm still open on the longevity and how long the new design LG vertical compressors will hold up. We'll see.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #35

Well at least the Blizzard is their latest design and hopefully they have improved. Either way for the price of the coaches Newmar should demand and expect the best from Dometic. Several hundred dollars more for Newmar costs per conditioner is a small price to pay give the hassle to replace and the frustration. House A/C is nothing people buy and plan to replace every 3-4 years. If I was Newmar I would track and have Dometic track the failure rates.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dometic, replace