Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Soap Dispenser (aka cutting hole in counter top)

DW has been asking me to install one of these at the kitchen sink but I have been very hesitant to do so as I am not sure about drilling a hole in the counter top. I just saw the below article in the FMCA Magazine so am re-thinking it.

My question to you forum members is “have any of you ever drilled through the counter top”? I would plan to use a brand new (sharp) hole saw maybe in the 1¼” size. This is one of those … “you only get one chance” to do it jobs so just thought I would check before making my final decision.

Steve

Soap Dispenser
Rather than having the liquid soap bottle bouncing around in the sink or taking up space on a shelf while traveling, I installed a countertop soap dispenser next to our kitchen sink. Installation involved drilling a hole through the counter according to the instructions that came with the dispenser. Make sure there is enough clearance under the sink to install and remove the soap bottle. These types of dispensers are available in home goods stores, and you should be able to find one with a finish that matches your other fixtures.

Frank Winter, F114882
Manalapan, New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SoapDispenser.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	53304  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty easy to do in laminate or even Corian (which is a form of plastic). The soap dispenser instructions will tell you what size hole you need. In some cases, you need to drill a pilot hole first, slightly smaller than the center shaft on the hole saw.

The trick is to keep the shaft of the drill vertical. If you drill seems to be bogging down, you can "roll" it slightly so there's more pressure on on side. Then you move that pressure point around the circle with minimum variance from vertical. High speed, sharp bit, and you'll be through pretty quick.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #3

You should be able to talk to a counter top supply store and find out what they recommend as a drill bit.

I have been thinking about this one as well. Our old coach had one and it just so convenient.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

I think it all depends on the material. I have drilled holes in porcelain tile and you need a diamond tip hole saw and need to add water around the area. Some of the diamond tip hole saws come with a guide and some tacky material to fix to the tile or stone. You need to be patient if you have to go this route and be sure to keep adding water as you progress. If it is a wood base type counter top then a regular hole saw would work fine. Again a guide would be helpful but not necessary if you are careful and take your time.

Good luck.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Based on the reliability of the soap dispensers I've used at the home S&B (Moen, Price-Pfister, etc.), I personally wouldn't bother. None of ours have ever worked longer than a few months. Perhaps that's just our experience......

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Based on the reliability of the soap dispensers I've used at the home S&B (Moen, Price-Pfister, etc.), I personally wouldn't bother. None of ours have ever worked longer than a few months. Perhaps that's just our experience......

Rusty
Agree....they were more trouble than benefit.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #7

Rather then buy a $20 hole saw and bit. Call a local counter top shop and ask if you drop by at lunch would they drill the whole for you... Save worrying and the stress of scratching up the top!

Quote bygeorge
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

My DH told me to tell you tape the area with masking, painters or some type of tape, mark the area and then drill. The tape reduces the chance of splintering.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #9

If your going to do it on your own try to find a board of similar thickness and practice a few holes....

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/l...n_US&rel=0
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We also have on in our counter top and have never used it......Wife has a pump bottle soap sitting on the counter and we use it all the time. I have often been washing my hands or doing dishes, and look at it and wonder why we don't use it? Just don't.....
Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Based on the reliability of the soap dispensers I've used at the home S&B (Moen, Price-Pfister, etc.), I personally wouldn't bother. None of ours have ever worked longer than a few months. Perhaps that's just our experience...... Rusty
X3..never had one work right or last long. Bottle of Dawn is easier. Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #12

I have a soap dispenser in our sink in our stick house, and think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread! No extra stuff on the counter, ready even with dirty greasy hands. We keep dawn instead of hand soap, and it works for both dishes and hands! Been there now for over 10 years, nary a problem.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
I have a soap dispenser in our sink in our stick house, and think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread! No extra stuff on the counter, ready even with dirty greasy hands. We keep dawn instead of hand soap, and it works for both dishes and hands! Been there now for over 10 years, nary a problem.
X2, keep Dawn in it also.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A step drill makes this a painless exercise. Just find one 1 1/4 inch. I think Harbor Freight will have it inexpensively. Here they are at Amazon in 1 3/8 diameter.

Amazon.com: Step Drill Bits - Metalworking & Multipurpose Drill Bits: Industrial & Scientific
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote