RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #1

We bought our Dutch Star in November 2008. On our first trip my husband was cussing up a storm about the cushions sliding off the sofa. He wasn't at all happy about not being able to watch TV comfortably. He was swearing to change the furniture before the next trip.

When we returned home he printed out from another web site about others that were having the same problem. He just wouldn't let this rest. I even offered him the sofa that flips out so he could lounge and watch TV. He refused all offers.

I knew I had to do something. I read that some people tried to use velcro, which I didn't like that idea. Some used snaps in the back. I really didn't want to start making holes in the furniture. I tried the rubber backing that you put down under a rug. I used two kinds, one was a gray color but thick, it didn't help at all. Then I had another piece of a thinner yellowish-tan color that works like a charm. I got mine from under my rug but I did see it at our local camping store. It comes on a roll and they cut what you need from it. I think they also use it between dishes as well.

I haven't heard one complaint in months. I am truly a happy camper now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #2

We bought our Dutch Star in November 2008. On our first trip my husband was cussing up a storm about the cushions sliding off the sofa. He wasn't at all happy about not being able to watch TV comfortably. He was swearing to change the furniture before the next trip.

When we returned home he printed out from another web site about others that were having the same problem. He just wouldn't let this rest. I even offered him the sofa that flips out so he could lounge and watch TV. He refused all offers.

I knew I had to do something. I read that some people tried to use velcro, which I didn't like that idea. Some used snaps in the back. I really didn't want to start making holes in the furniture. I tried the rubber backing that you put down under a rug. I used two kinds, one was a gray color but thick, it didn't help at all. Then I had another piece of a thinner yellowish-tan color that works like a charm. I got mine from under my rug but I did see it at our local camping store. It comes on a roll and they cut what you need from it. I think they also use it between dishes as well.

I haven't heard one complaint in months. I am truly a happy camper now.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

I find the included sofas rather inadequate given the prices these things go for. In the next month here we are going to take apart ours and replace it with a nice conventional leather sofa that is actually comfortable with raising legs and such. Its will feel much more homey and comfortable for us.

I'm sure some like the included one and thats cool too. We just don't care for it, the back is too low IMO, the cushions move around too easily and I enjoy being able to recline. In this day in age with wall hugger there is no reason not to include them in RV's.

The bed is marginal at best to start with and we have bunks in the back so in the off chance we need to sleep more than 5 people we'll throw an air mattress down for the odd once in a 10 year event that we get that many people spending the night.

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #4

I might have to try that, too. The cushions on our ultraleather couch were sliding, but in reality, it was the overactive 2 and 4 year olds who were mostly responsible.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #5

ditto !!!!!<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aridon:
I find the included sofas rather inadequate given the prices these things go for. In the next month here we are going to take apart ours and replace it with a nice conventional leather sofa that is actually comfortable with raising legs and such. Its will feel much more homey and comfortable for us.

I'm sure some like the included one and thats cool too. We just don't care for it, the back is too low IMO, the cushions move around too easily and I enjoy being able to recline. In this day in age with wall hugger there is no reason not to include them in RV's.

The bed is marginal at best to start with and we have bunks in the back so in the off chance we need to sleep more than 5 people we'll throw an air mattress down for the odd once in a 10 year event that we get that many people spending the night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #6

Just love your driver <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 69RoadRunner:
I might have to try that, too. The cushions on our ultraleather couch were sliding, but in reality, it was the overactive 2 and 4 year olds who were mostly responsible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We have the same sofa and problem. We used the rubber non skid stuff with little success, but then took a thin blanket and folded it the length of the sofa and stuffed it behind the cushions. Between the two the cushions now stay in place and will work fine until we get a computer desk and recliner. At that time the the sofa goes.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #8

I had the same problem as described above with my leather couch which makes a bed. I tried this anti skid material that you put between dishes with very little success. I contacted Flexsteel twice about this problem. The first time, Flexsteel put the blame on the thickness of the cushion i.e. not thick enough to stay in place. They send me new thicker foam pieces to replace my current ones. The difference that the thicker foam made was negligible in getting the cushions stable, and the comfort was compromise. The second time, Flexsteel came and picked up the cushions and the back rest while I was getting repairs at Newmar. This time, Flexsteel installed some hooks with lastic bands in the back rest and the cushions so as to limit the movement of the cushions. The only improvement of this modification was that the cushions don't end up on the floor.

I gave up and removed the couch from the motorhome and replaced it with two reclining chairs to the joy of every ones.
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #9

When ordering our coach we deleted the Newmar couch and added a made to order Chenille couch(no pillow slip).
Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #10

I agree the chenille couch is a much better option.

Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote