Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #43

Yes, it is in front of the front a/c and is centered.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
So here is the setup on my 2017 3710. I haven't figured out why i have three vertical antennas yet. The Weingart Air was factory installed. The Direct TV was installed at the dealership. I have a few more pics if you need them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	150104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	150105  

Name:	IMG_0398.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	150106  
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
On our coach, one vertical antenna is for the coach radio and one is for the Home Theater unit, maybe the third is for an outside AM/FM system?
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Russtj60, thank you. It looks like the dlr choose to run the wire from the stock sat pre wire location and mount the dish in the middle of the couch probably to avoid interference from the WA HDTV antenna. If you had a closeup of the satellite dish mounting that would be great. I also have 3 vertical antennas and I assumed the forward right was for the dash radio and the one towards middle right was the outside radio, then I thought that the third was possibly also connected to the dash radio. But some one else said maybe the surround sound system. By the way did you locate the USB cable behind the drawers under the stove for the outside radio yet? Thanks again, Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Russtj60, thank you. It looks like the dlr choose to run the wire from the stock sat pre wire location and mount the dish in the middle of the couch probably to avoid interference from the WA HDTV antenna. If you had a closeup of the satellite dish mounting that would be great. I also have 3 vertical antennas and I assumed the forward right was for the dash radio and the one towards middle right was the outside radio, then I thought that the third was possibly also connected to the dash radio. But some one else said maybe the surround sound system. By the way did you locate the USB cable behind the drawers under the stove for the outside radio yet? Thanks again, Stuart
I have not... I started the day climbing on top of the coach to take pictures and then in discussion with Newmar estimator focusing on Solar Prep. This discussion concerning Solar Prep piqued my interest and I requested a quote from Newmar. The estimator, a really nice guy, said he just did an install on a similar coach for a little more than $7K The mod is an expensive one. It was an impulse call, I really had not done any research nor do I do much boondocking.

BTW, thanks to all. I had not considered that the entertainment system would need its own dedicated antenna. So that mystery is solved.

Here are three pictures of the Sat Install. If you need another angle, I can take it tomorrow. The Direct TV cable enters the coach in the front almost just left of centerline. You can see entry point relationship to the solar panel in one the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	150132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400 (1).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	150133  

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	150134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	150135  

Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Old 01-26-2017, 03:40 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Russtj60 Thank You very much. Ouch on 7K that's pricey
Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
It is pricey.... might be an early spring DIY project!!
Old 01-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
How many watts were they talking about?
I was looking AM Solar's site today
Old 01-26-2017, 04:39 PM   #51

When I had an Airstream I almost bought a folding solar panel that came in a suitcase type carrying case. Go Power has one with 120 watts and 10 amps for 543.00. They also have larger ones and they are very portable. Just another option to a built-in unit.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:40 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
So the quote was for "...5 panels if they fit $7400.00, $830.00 per 95-watt panel". Stuart, I have not done my homework, so I do not know how many panels would be required to maintain the 4 deep cycle stock batteries and whether there are enough batteries. I am considering adding a second inverter, I currently have one 1KW inverter dedicated to the residential refrigerator. I'd like to get a second to feed the entertainment system. Another pricey mod - 2.3K add on.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #53

Wow, $7K for 500 watts is pricey! I built a "test system" on my house using the same components I would use on an RV. It's roughly 600 watts, with two types of inverters -- grid-tie (because it's a house) and stand-alone full sine wave inverter which I use as an "emergency generator" when the power goes out. Oh, and I have about 600 AH of batteries plus a very good 4-stage charge controller. Cost of entire system was a bit over $2000 for everything. Bought most of the components on-line of course as a DIY project. My plan is to move most of the components to my new 2016 Ventana 4041 which has the solar prep option it. Just need to figure out where they put those wires...
kensuzibuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:42 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensuzibuddy View Post
Wow, $7K for 500 watts is pricey! I built a "test system" on my house using the same components I would use on an RV. It's roughly 600 watts, with two types of inverters -- grid-tie (because it's a house) and stand-alone full sine wave inverter which I use as an "emergency generator" when the power goes out. Oh, and I have about 600 AH of batteries plus a very good 4-stage charge controller. Cost of entire system was a bit over $2000 for everything. Bought most of the components on-line of course as a DIY project. My plan is to move most of the components to my new 2016 Ventana 4041 which has the solar prep option it. Just need to figure out where they put those wires...
I am with you. There has to be a way to do this cheaper
Old 01-27-2017, 06:08 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was pricing components from WholesaleSolar...

I'm not aware of what makes your quote so expensive... they have panels around $1 per watt.

My problem is I live in Florida and use Air Conditioning most of the year. It won't be until I retire that we can really venture out for months at a time and make a solar system worth it.

Since we already have the Magnum MS2812 in our coach...I would love to replace the ME-RC remote with the ME-ARC version 4 or higher...the ME-BMK battery monitor..,the PT-100 photo voltaic charge controller...and 5 panels with as many watts as will fit on the roof. Oh, and get AGM batteries when the flooded ones need replacing.

One can dream

IIRC ball park prices...

Panels 1000w. $1000 - $1200
BMK $170
ME-ARC $250
PT-100 $800
Plus add in some wiring, maybe a buss bar for grounds, circuit breakers, cutoff switches, mounting hardware, rooftop combiner buss... I'm thinking WAY less than $7K...

They would have to show me some phenomenal specs to make me drop that much ka-ching$$$... Just sayin'
Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I was pricing components from WholesaleSolar...

I'm not aware of what makes your quote so expensive... they have panels around $1 per watt.

My problem is I live in Florida and use Air Conditioning most of the year. It won't be until I retire that we can really venture out for months at a time and make a solar system worth it.

Since we already have the Magnum MS2812 in our coach...I would love to replace the ME-RC remote with the ME-ARC version 4 or higher...the ME-BMK battery monitor..,the PT-100 photo voltaic charge controller...and 5 panels with as many watts as will fit on the roof. Oh, and get AGM batteries when the flooded ones need replacing.

One can dream

IIRC ball park prices...

Panels 1000w. $1000 - $1200
BMK $170
ME-ARC $250
PT-100 $800
Plus add in some wiring, maybe a buss bar for grounds, circuit breakers, cutoff switches, mounting hardware, rooftop combiner buss... I'm thinking WAY less than $7K...

They would have to show me some phenomenal specs to make me drop that much ka-ching$$$... Just sayin'
And that was at their reduced winter labor rate! I can figure out what I want wrt to power and draw up the circuit - running the wire in the RV is what gives me a headache.

Tags
solar