Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #1

My main complaint is ALL the glass and southern sun...has anyone installed solar film on all the front side glass? What % block did you use? Did it help alot? I HAVE to do something..I am roasting on sunny days and the side visor is pretty puny..solar screens going down the highway wouldnt be too great!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #2

My main complaint is ALL the glass and southern sun...has anyone installed solar film on all the front side glass? What % block did you use? Did it help alot? I HAVE to do something..I am roasting on sunny days and the side visor is pretty puny..solar screens going down the highway wouldnt be too great!
Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sun screen

Have used these on three MH's just added a felt sticky strip so wouldn't bang against the metal window frame.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I live in Florida and window tinting is mandatory for me. I have done all my front side windows. I had 3M film installed with 35% strength. Make sure that it is the metal film as it filters out 99% of the UV (ultra violet). I have no problem with seeing through the tint in any light. If you are worried about the darkness they also make a clear metal film that still filters out 99% of the UV. I think it makes the coach look better too and it takes a lot of heat off the driver.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Funny this topic comes up as I sit here in Juno Beach facing east....

Even before this trip I've been thinking of how to "best" solve the sun AND the glare issue.

What I am thinking of doing is actually a step further than the "stick on" (or "peeling off in time") film.
While at the factory I am going to investigate the replacement of right and left side windows with a more tinted glass. Probably a little more labor intensive than most of you want to go, but I'm searching for the best solution for both glare and the heat.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I seem to remember from somewhere that some double-pane windows do not take well to tint. Something about causing too much heat/reflection buildup.

Just a random thought. I've been wanting to do the same, but can't find any definitive info now. Sure worked well on a previous coach, though.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your right RON if covered double pane causes heat build up, braking seal of double pane. Some coachs do and do not have DP windows. I read same post your talking about within last month but can not find.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is something I found from some time ago on the subject....
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Time sure fly's around here. Must be because we are having fun.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #10

well...that was a very informative post that will cause me to change my plans for tomorrow and can the idea, but it SURE is hot up there, even with the puny side shade down...thanks
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

For the benefit of those reading this forum topic that may not be aware of the search feature, you can click on "FIND" and then type in a word or phrase to search...By "unchecking" the box, you then search the entire database of iRV2.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:36 AM   #12

Here is some info I found about solar films from Florida Solar site...refers to the 'old style' films that absorb the heat...I wonder if there is anything out there that WOULD work...
"The old-technology films are characterized by accomplishing their solar heat gain rejection through absorbing the whole solar spectrum, preventing its direct entry into the home. The problem is that the film heats up a lot and, when applied to a single pane of glass or the inner pane of a double pane window, most of their heat is conducted, radiated, and convected to the interior of the building, making the room hotter than it should be. This defeats the purpose of the film, to reduce solar heat gain, because much of the incident solar heat still enters the room. Less light is admitted as well.

Furthermore, many double pane window manufacturers void their warranties if the homeowner puts a window film on their product. One reason for this is that when the film gets hot, it makes the pane it is affixed to get hot as well. The glass expands, and expands more than the outer glass without the film. This difference in expansion can create stresses in the window which in worst cases can cause the window to break, through no fault of the window. If you wish to apply window film to a double pane window, make sure the window manufacturer will continue to back the window warranty."
Old 05-02-2007, 02:40 AM   #13

And here is something encouraging from Arizona solar control site................."Are films safe to insulated (double-pane) windows?

Modern window films like Panorama are safe for double-pane windows. In fact, the manufacturers of these films warranty the film for life. They also warrant the windows for stress fractures and seal failures. Panorama warrants stress fractures for five years and seal failures for three years. Panorama also offers modestly-priced warranties that take over the manufacturer's warranty, word for word. As an example, if the window manufacturer warrants the window for seal failure for twenty years and seal failure occurs after 18 years, it is the film manufacturer's responsibility to pay for the new window. Panorama covers cost of the window, the labor to install it and the cost to re-film the new window. (Many window manufacturers don't cover labor!)" I will see where I can find it!!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have felt the intense heat when traveling on hot and sunny days. We have installed a 35% on front side windows as well as a 50% on the windshield. Has been this way for 2 1/2 years and love it. Both our personnal vehicles are tinted the same way.