Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #1

Sold the 2013 Dutch Star

Many on the Newmar forum are wondering what would lead me to sell my 22 month old 2013 Dutch Star 4318. I'll try to keep it brief, and feel free to shoot arrows my way!

First... I'm not sure why I bought it. I don't like the layout, the full wall slide, the awnings, the drivers position, the steps, and a whole bunch of other small things.

There are an awful lot of features I do like, and I've got mostly positive remarks about Newmars customer service. The comfort steering is great, it rides nice, looks great, Oasis, power management system, shades, big refrigerator, etc... all good things.

There were quite a number of warranty issues that took forever to get resolved. At the 11 month point I had to get the coach to Napanee (1000 miles one way) as the local dealer was unable to resolve most issues. Note: they are no longer a Newmar dealer.

A number of items were not resolved in Napanee for one reason or another, and to there credit Newmar at the 21 month point flew a tech down to Texas for the sole purpose of getting things set right. He spent 3 days and I signed off on everything. By the way the new local dealer, National Indoor RV has been very good to deal with.

From the beginning I've felt and still feel like the coach twisted too much, that there was too much movement in the FWS, that the Entry Door was way too hard to open and close, that the topper awning on the FWS was never going to hold up to the constant Texas wind, that there would be problems going forward with the baggage doors due to the twisting and latch alignment. Newmar is on record as saying all these things are OK and normal for the coach so I see no way I'll ever be happy with it.

I'm taking a bath on the depreciation having had the coach for such a short time, but if I kept it, that would only continue for some time. So, I'm cutting my losses and have moved on.
Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #2

You have to do what will keep you happy. Are you getting another RV or getting out of RVing?

Good Luck
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #3

We really enjoy motorhomes. I'm getting an older Country Coach Affinity with 2 slides. This will make motorhome #6 for us. We've had a motorhome almost 100% of the time for the last 30 years.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Richard - So sorry to hear about your issues. I don't have a FWS, but I've heard that some coaches have had issues. I think that Newmar is getting better with troubleshooting them the longer that they stay in production. But in the end it's YOUR coach and your money. I can only imagine how hard it was to make the decision to sell so soon. As expressed by others, I too hope to see you at the Roost in September. I think (know) that we're more about the person then the coach.

Charlie
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Richard thanks for posting some of your problems with your Newmar.
It seems the discussion goes on as to the FWS's and staying out of trouble.
This is the second thread on the subject the other is in QT's # 3.
Dealers can be a problem my dealer 11 years ago lost the Newmar franchise after I bought their last coach which had some problems also.
Its good to see you are still an RV'ER and a Country Coach is a great one and two slides, like mine is less of a hassle.
Wish you many safe travels in your CC and thanks again for the input to forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
Richard - So sorry to hear about your issues. I don't have a FWS, but I've heard that some coaches have had issues. I think that Newmar is getting better with troubleshooting them the longer that they stay in production. But in the end it's YOUR coach and your money. I can only imagine how hard it was to make the decision to sell so soon. As expressed by others, I too hope to see you at the Roost in September. I think (know) that we're more about the person then the coach.

Charlie

Richard --

Charlie says it all. Glad you're sticking with our mutual adventure in motor homing and hope the Country Coach will be a good fit for you. As Charlie says, we'd love to see you in September in Tennessee. We are about fellowship, discussion and comraderie and you are definitely welcome with us.

Best wishes --

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #7

Hi Charlie just wondering what you didn't like about you full wall slide. We have a smaller MH with a full wall slide and so far we really like it. Still learning though. Good luck and hope you have many more great traveling adventures!!
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtraveler View Post
Hi Charlie just wondering what you didn't like about you full wall slide. We have a smaller MH with a full wall slide and so far we really like it. Still learning though. Good luck and hope you have many more great traveling adventures!!
Roadtraveler, are you talking to me (Charlie) or to Mckeerw (Richard)? I said I don't have a Full Wall Slide (FWS), my 08 has 4 small slides, sorry if I was confusing.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #9

Sorry I meant to ask Richard what he did not like about a full slide.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #10

The full wall slide....
Didn't like that the coach was almost unuseable with the slide in. Tripping on the raised floor, very limited access to the refrigerator and 1/2 bath. Inabilaty to load/unload without putting slide out. Didn't like the way the topper awning flapps in the wind like a sail. I did not feel comfortable that the slide would not be a constant problem in years to come due to the multiple motors, computer, heavy weight, etc. And lastly I think the opening is too big for the coach and will eventually cause other problems.

Guys, it's just me. Everybody else seems to love the coaches and have had very few problems. Newmar has had their best people look over my coach numerous times and said everything is normal, just like all the others. The ball was in my court and I chose to throw in the towl.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #11

I've had my reservations about the full wall slide for some time now. On paper and on the lot they look great, but only time will tell how they will hold up to the rigors of travel. Richard, sorry you had to take the hit you did, I hope the CC Affinity will be more to your liking. Afterall no matter what coach you buy if it doesn't please you, then what good is it!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote