Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Sony CDX-CA700X Replacement Questions

Hi,

I have put this off as long as I have been able. I am finally going to replace the @#%%$#$#@ Sony CDX-CA700X in dash receiver in my 2003 Scottsdale with a new Pioneer BT capable head unit. I thought that I remembered that Mahlon or OEMY had posted some pics about R/R on the unit but I can't find the posts anywhere.

Specifically, do I need any special tools to get it out of the dash? It looks like one of those nondescript DIN mount shells, but I can't get it to "pop" out using the Pioneer tools.

Anybody know if and where there are any helpful pics/videos etc?

I am Changing out the TV to a 32" LCD and now is the time to upgrade the whole "shebang" (Thanks to OEMY and several other Newmar owners for posting on that project).

Thanks in advance,

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look in QT's 1 & 2 you will see pictures and what I did with the units.
The frame around radio should pop off so you can release the tabs to unlock the unit from its mounting.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
My Sony CDXGT700HD requires a unique tool to remove the head unit from the dash mount.

If you don't have the manual, the following link to a manual may help. I did a quick scan but didn't see where it mentioned the special tool.

Sony eSupport - CDX-CA700X - Support
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
My Sony CDXGT700HD requires a unique tool to remove the head unit from the dash mount.

If you don't have the manual, the following link to a manual may help. I did a quick scan but didn't see where it mentioned the special tool.

Sony eSupport - CDX-CA700X - Support
I dont think its that unique. Suspect that they all have a similar deal. I had that Sony in our and replaced it with a Pioneer BT XM unit, never was sorry. Love the XM even if they are PITA to deal with. Whoever installs your new radio will have the tool.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
I dont think its that unique. Suspect that they all have a similar deal. I had that Sony in our and replaced it with a Pioneer BT XM unit, never was sorry. Love the XM even if they are PITA to deal with. Whoever installs your new radio will have the tool.
Ohhh, but they are. The stock Sony that was installed in the coach was a PITA to get out without the tool. I Even went to my local auto stereo shop and they looked through their assortment of "unlock" tools, but didn't have the one for my unit. I eventually used a tool from my boat cd player and jammed it it and worked it around until I sprung the lock tabs. My new Sony had a completely different tool than any of my three cd players. BTW it takes two of the silly little "keys" (tools), one on either side. Once they are pushed in and the tabs are unlocked, one uses the tools to pull the head unit out of the dash housing. Once the head unit is out, one can then bend down the tabs that keep the housing fixed in the dash and remove the housing so the new cd player can be installed.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2016727]If you look in [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/original-part-1-and-2-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-18509.html
QT's 1 & 2[/URL][/B] you will see pictures and what I did with the units.
The frame around radio should pop off so you can release the tabs to unlock the unit from its mounting.

Thanks, your pics and details are very helpful on the LCD/amp swap.

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Pirat.

Errrrr that would be me (lmao)

Actually, this will be my third Pioneer BT head unit. I do love them.

The real PITA with the Sony is that you can't ever see what mode you are in when driving. It is very distracting to try to change any settings while you drive. And the only way to use an iPod/Iphone for music is via the Aux in (I can't remember if it's TV on aux 1 and external on aux 2 or vice versa) so trying to change the source while driving is dangerous. So I usually do without the stereo or have the co-pilot (read that my bride) do the changing.

Thanks for your help. Maybe somebody has a picture of the "tool" that they could post somewhere, or maybe I could borrow (I would pay shipping both ways). And if anybody knows where I could purchase said tools I would be very grateful. I did not receive a set with the rig when I bought it.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ron,

you are correct it is unique! (see my reply to Pirat). I tried to see if I could use the tools that came with the Pioneer installation Kit, but, no go (bummer).

I may call Crutchfield and see if they can supply the tools (just had an "insight" read that as "SWAG").

One last thing, I noticed that you are a "Ham" I have been K9FZJ since 1958. I think I'll put my call in my signature as well.

3's & BCNU

Dave

Old 04-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
dit dit dit dit....dit dit Dave,

You might be better off to try this:

This video is pretty accurate on how to remove without a tool. I know because of what I had to do to get mine out.

My local auto stereo shop was able to order the tool from some source that had such things, however, when it arrived the charge for shipping and the tool itself was $14.00. When I saw the tool and how cheaply manufactured it was I said "no way would I spend $14,00 for that...". The tools (keys) are stamped out of sheet metal and are worth about 5 cents (if you don't need it...). Since we don't usually need the key until we are replacing the cd player it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy the key for a one time job.

Unfortunately, my new cd player tool is probably not the right one for your older unit. But maybe some one kept their old unit and the key and can send one to you.

Good luck,
Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Here's another link:
How-to-guides - How to make car stereo removal tools

I found a picture of the keys that I recognize:

http://www.amazon.com/Xtenzi-Radio-R.../dp/B005YNDC44
Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK so I looked up all those things (some I had already found ) and then I went to the rig. I popped off the removable cover and yanked the aux input switcher, pulled out the connectors and looked at the back of the stereo. And lo and behold there was a "plumber strap" bolted to it (the stereo). So 8 screws on the panel were removed from the front and the whole assembly just tilted out. I pulled the screw holding the "plumbers strap" to the stereo and the whole thing "fell apart".

Now all I have to do is splice the Pioneer connector wiring to the Chassis plug for power speakers, etc. and it's done!

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. Who knew that they had "booby-trapped" the install at the factory (lol). There was enough room to get a stubby screwdriver in to remove that screw. So I will have hands free phone and siri control with an iPod hook up and still have an aux input for the TV sound.

Sweet!!

Now to remove the old TV.

Cheers,

Dave

Tags
replace, replacement