Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #15

I almost did not order the Sony surround sound option being I have read it is not very good. But I figured I would get the wiring in case I wanted to upgrade it.

Being I have not seen our new Ventana LE yet I am wondering how I would get power to the soundbar and how to run the optical cable from the TV to the soundbar.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I almost did not order the Sony surround sound option being I have read it is not very good. But I figured I would get the wiring in case I wanted to upgrade it.

Being I have not seen our new Ventana LE yet I am wondering how I would get power to the soundbar and how to run the optical cable from the TV to the soundbar.
I think the receiver is fine, Newmar doesn't wire it up for 5.1 surround sound. They run HDMI from each input (satellite, digital antenna, DVD) to your TV's and then it appears they back port the audio into the receiver via right/left (2 channel) only with red/white cables. When I get back I'm going to use the HDMI ports on the receiver for each input then a single HDMI out to the TV which is typically how home theater is setup. I have a feeling this will work nice. When doing the sound test which is 5.1 it is pretty good, the sub sounds weak, but at least we'll get separate channels for surround.

As to the sound bar, if you do go that route, I decided I won't, you'll want to use a bluetooth one. I used one at home until I went to full up speakers. The TV's in these coaches are the latest so they should support bluetooth but I haven't checked as I don't have a need. Yes, you will have an issue with cable connections to a TV in a televator. Bluetooth solves that but you still need power to your bar/sub and then a place for the sub and consider what needs to be done while traveling.

I'll reply here when I get the system reconfigured with HDMI in/outs per what I think is correct for 5.1 surround.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I think the receiver is fine, Newmar doesn't wire it up for 5.1 surround sound. They run HDMI from each input (satellite, digital antenna, DVD) to your TV's and then it appears they back port the audio into the receiver via right/left (2 channel) only with red/white cables. When I get back I'm going to use the HDMI ports on the receiver for each input then a single HDMI out to the TV which is typically how home theater is setup. I have a feeling this will work nice. When doing the sound test which is 5.1 it is pretty good, the sub sounds weak, but at least we'll get separate channels for surround.

As to the sound bar, if you do go that route, I decided I won't, you'll want to use a bluetooth one. I used one at home until I went to full up speakers. The TV's in these coaches are the latest so they should support bluetooth but I haven't checked as I don't have a need. Yes, you will have an issue with cable connections to a TV in a televator. Bluetooth solves that but you still need power to your bar/sub and then a place for the sub and consider what needs to be done while traveling.

I'll reply here when I get the system reconfigured with HDMI in/outs per what I think is correct for 5.1 surround.
Yes, please post how you do this. Mine is setup the same way.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #18

A tech at my dealer spent about a hour setting up my Directv satellite system. He ended up mounting the HDMI switches to the back wall. The front cabinet is way to small for all of this equipment. I also plan on redoing the wiring to get the audio correct. The only sound I could get from it was the OTA sound, but I did not check the DVD. I did check the satellite and no sound would come out.

If I was to do an additional special order I would have an optical/toslink cable ran from the LR TV to the A/V receiver. My TV does have an ARC HDMI connection, so by redoing the HDMI cables at the back of the receiver this may get everything working correctly.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm surprised they use these monster HDMI splitters, they have much smaller ones on Amazon which I bought for my bedroom where I'll split the HDMI input to the TV for DISH and Apple TV. I have to check how the DVD gets to the TV back there...I don't remember.

But yes, the bay above the drivers seat is way too cramped with stuff. I actually broke an HDMI cable end just turning things, and those are tough. I'll look at your suggestion of mounting them to the back, good idea. I'll be getting to electronics tonight or tomorrow. Moving in my 8,000 items from the garage into the coach today :(
Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I finally got to the electronics today. I was hoping it would have just healed itself after all the work for exterior organization and then interior! I'm pooped

First I'll talk what I did with the overhead speakers. We have the nice JBL's up front and the radio also goes into the bedroom. Tiny crappy speakers there so I figured I'd get the same JBL's used up front and put them in the bedroom. So I did that, was very easy. I bought a pair, it's only $48 for a pair of the JBL's on Amazon - they aren't as great as Newmar makes them out to be but they do sound good. I bought some "Satin" white spray paint from home depot to paint the black covers white so they'd blend with the ceiling better. Just drew a 5 1/4" circle and cut with a knife, the roof material is easy to work with. Be careful with what's behind where you're cutting as one wire for something else surprised me and I almost got it! So the bedroom sounds better now. I may someday put some really nice 5 1/4" speakers throughout the coach replacing the theater area up front which has the tiny so so speakers as well. For another day long long from now!

Now the stereo. This went far easier than I expected. I have NOT tested the DVD player yet, will probably do so tomorrow but that's low prio to me, I don't watch DVD's any more. I bought several 3ft HDMI cables from Amazon so I went form Blu-ray to the DVD input on the back of the receiver. Satellite to the SAT input on the back of the receiver. Then the HDMI out to the HDMI splitter going to both front TV's. It's THAT EASY!

It sounds about 800 times better now! What a difference having the surround configured. I also get the receiver menu screens on the TV which is better than I expected allowing you to control FM search and presets, etc. I really don't know why Newmar didn't set it up this way, this IS the correct way vs. what they had IMHO.

I actually need one less HDMI splitter now assuming the DVD will work as configured now as there is only one HDMI path from receiver to splitter instead of one for SAT and one for DVD.

Enjoy!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I finally got to the electronics today. I was hoping it would have just healed itself after all the work for exterior organization and then interior! I'm pooped

First I'll talk what I did with the overhead speakers. We have the nice JBL's up front and the radio also goes into the bedroom. Tiny crappy speakers there so I figured I'd get the same JBL's used up front and put them in the bedroom. So I did that, was very easy. I bought a pair, it's only $48 for a pair of the JBL's on Amazon - they aren't as great as Newmar makes them out to be but they do sound good. I bought some "Satin" white spray paint from home depot to paint the black covers white so they'd blend with the ceiling better. Just drew a 5 1/4" circle and cut with a knife, the roof material is easy to work with. Be careful with what's behind where you're cutting as one wire for something else surprised me and I almost got it! So the bedroom sounds better now. I may someday put some really nice 5 1/4" speakers throughout the coach replacing the theater area up front which has the tiny so so speakers as well. For another day long long from now!

Now the stereo. This went far easier than I expected. I have NOT tested the DVD player yet, will probably do so tomorrow but that's low prio to me, I don't watch DVD's any more. I bought several 3ft HDMI cables from Amazon so I went form Blu-ray to the DVD input on the back of the receiver. Satellite to the SAT input on the back of the receiver. Then the HDMI out to the HDMI splitter going to both front TV's. It's THAT EASY!

It sounds about 800 times better now! What a difference having the surround configured. I also get the receiver menu screens on the TV which is better than I expected allowing you to control FM search and presets, etc. I really don't know why Newmar didn't set it up this way, this IS the correct way vs. what they had IMHO.

I actually need one less HDMI splitter now assuming the DVD will work as configured now as there is only one HDMI path from receiver to splitter instead of one for SAT and one for DVD.

Enjoy!
Great - I will work on mine next week.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went through the same thing. I bought mine used and the previous owner never set it up correctly either, none of the devices were plugged into the receiver HDMI input and no HDMI out to the splitters. I removed the dvd and replaced it with a Apple TV. The only thing I have not figured out is how to get the OTA (Just TV no SAT) sound to come through the receiver.
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you would need optical out of the tv to the receiver.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually if the receiver is set to TV for input it should play the audio through the red/white analog audio. I'll test this later today.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Aside from the overall size of the receiver maybe this complexity is why Newmar has moved to soundbars in Mountain Aire and above in recent years and now the Bose Solo 5 across all the non-luxury line for 2018.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I see no need for an a/v receiver personally. For FM, the built in dash unit is far better for reception and audio choices and other inputs via bluetooth or USB connection. It adds a lot of clutter and probably should go away. It just seems to complicate matters.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #27

Carolina Campers
Neal I have a 2017 Ventana Le 4002 with two splitters. I would like to buy a 4 in 4 out switch box so I can send any signal to any of my TVs. Can you tell me are all the wires marked before I undertake this task or am I going to have to remove one wire at a time and see what stops working to know what wire it is. Thanks
djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtommysr View Post
Neal I have a 2017 Ventana Le 4002 with two splitters. I would like to buy a 4 in 4 out switch box so I can send any signal to any of my TVs. Can you tell me are all the wires marked before I undertake this task or am I going to have to remove one wire at a time and see what stops working to know what wire it is. Thanks
The question is how many TV's do you have? I assume two: front center and televator. Therefore there are two HDMI cables going to your two TV's HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

The two splitters are to take one input (SAT) and split this to two TV's going to HDMI 1. Second splitter is for a DVD player going to both TV's HDMI 2.

If you have a TV in your bedroom it is not connected to the front A/V box, it has its own setup.

The way I configured my setup I do not need two splitters now, just one. I have all inputs going into the stereo (a/v receiver); Satellite, DVD, and Apple TV are going into the receiver. The HDMI out of the receiver goes to the splitter which sends the signal to the two TV's.

As with any home theater setup, it's complicated! Yesterday I spent some time on this as I had issues trying to use HDMI 1 / ARC (audio return channel). I'm guessing the splitter is causing a problem on the return signal but it's not really a big deal as the audio plays as expected through the receiver. The one concern I had was the TV using the digital antenna, where would that audio come from. Would it be only TV speaker (which is fine to me for TV on antenna) but I think in the end with the receiver set to TV it was playing the audio. Again, it's complicated.

Adding the Apple TV and the HDMI auto switching got tricky but I think it's all worked out, moral is, it takes time, usage, and will eventually sort out. Even my home theater was complicated and took time to figure out, assuming it's figured out! :( It works but I always discover something later.

I have a label maker, highly recommend one, and labeled the two splitters HDMI 1 and 2 so I knew where they were going as it became apparent in yesterdays work I needed to know.

These Sony TV's sometimes just go black, it may be the Wally box, not sure. For example when I chose Netflix on the Wally box it made the TV go black and I had to power cycle it. Same thing happened yesterday on my front center TV and I'm not sure why, this time didn't use the Wally box but probably some bad signal. It was odd that I turned the coach battery disconnect off by the door yet the green light on this TV stayed on. I need to power cycle it somehow.

Lastly, don't forget the TV's have Wi-Fi. If you have Wi-Fi in your coach such as I use a Wi-Fi Ranger and Cell Booster (weboost) I connected the TV's wi-fi to my wi-fi setup. This should also allow netflix streaming and other apps on the TV's directly to be used. Go through the display/menu on your receiver when connected through HDMI and also the TV's menus as I'm sure many forget about features available in each.