Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Spare tire where ?

We have a 2003 Mountain Aire 3781 . I am trying to figure out where to put a spare tire . Our tire size , 235/80/22.5 , is not always readily available . So forum members where do you put / store / carry yours ?
FarmerB4
FarmerB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

I keep mine in the tire shop. Have not needed it in over six years but the date code is still current.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I carry mine in my wallet. It says "Good Sam Roadside Assistance" on it.
Really, I don't think I'm up to replacing an RV tire at my age. It would cost more in chiropractic bills than the good Sam membership.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerB4 View Post
We have a 2003 Mountain Aire 3781 . I am trying to figure out where to put a spare tire . Our tire size , 235/80/22.5 , is not always readily available . So forum members where do you put / store / carry yours ?
FarmerB4
Since you have asked a serious question I will try to provide a serious answer. True, most RV'ers do not carry a spare tire, they rely on their road side service. Sometimes this works out good and at times you end up buying a mismatched tire in order to continue your trip or just to get off the side of a busy road. When I was headed to Alaska a few years back, I built a spare tire carrier patterned after a member's design over on the Tiffin forum. Since then Roadmaster bought the Simpson spare tire carrier and is now building them for RVs. See this link Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories for details. Several retailers sell them including CW and Hitch Source as well as others.
ewlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

One thing to consider is you probably won't be able to remove the lug nuts. Tire shops use a 1" hose line to a 1" impact gun. It takes a lot of air to use those impact guns. If you want to try it manually, you'd probably need at least an 8 foot long breaker bar if you wanted to try and loosed them with a socket. If so, buy a 1 inch drive socket and breaker bar and you may still snap the breaker bar. In addition, you'll need at least a 20 ton bottle jack to lift your coach. Tire shops only lift the tire 1 inch or less and use pry bars to remove the tire. (They're heavy)
You may want to consider what the rest of us do and that's explained in the above posts.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spare Tire

In over 35 years with a Motor home, I have had 3 Flats and one was at home.

The other Two were on the Road. At the time, I had a spare 19.5" tire and carried a electric impact wrench and One Jack Stand. Using the jack on the coach to lift the coach and a jack stand for safety. Both were inside rear tires.

My latest two coaches have had no spare.

I am considering the Road Master

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-19.../dp/B00SQ49S82

For lug nut removal, I carrier a Torque Multiplier as well as a Electric impact.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

There was a long thread about this here a while back. Doing a search for it could provide some info. I think some members had mounts that attached to the hitch, others carried it in a storage bay, and of coarse some preferred to wait for however long it took for help to get there. I think waiting depends somewhat on how much time you have and how far off the beaten path you choose to wander.

Our Flair came with the spare mounted on the rear. Realizing that the thing was heavy and I couldn't lift it down or get it back up there my son and I developed a winch affair to accomplish this. The tire weight is also something to consider, along with all the other things mentioned. The other thread covered ways to manage much of this also. IMHO, if you prefer to carry a spare along there are ways to do all you will need to in order to both carry and change the tire.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 03 KSCA had a angle iron frame drop behind the gas tank shOold look and if gas coach see if you have enough room.
Looking at your tire size looks like you have a MADP.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last I checked, the 235/80-22.5 is not that common a tire size. You probably would not, and could not, change a flat tire tire at the side of the road, yourself. Get ERS to do that. But they might have trouble finding a tire in the right size. You could be a day or two just waiting for a tire to show up. My spare (tire only) fits in the back of my CRV. Had 3-4 flats in my Class C, none so far in my Class A. Still, comforting to know I won't be stranded for a long time, let alone the delivery costs to have a tire shipped.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandcworkhorse View Post
Last I checked, the 235/80-22.5 is not that common a tire size. You probably would not, and could not, change a flat tire tire at the side of the road, yourself. Get ERS to do that. But they might have trouble finding a tire in the right size.
I don't carry a spare but if i were to one day it would be the tire only. My coach net service would be able to mount the tire easily.

I do have 235/80-22.5 tires, didn't know they were hard to find.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post

I am considering the Road Master

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Roadmaster-195225-Spare-Tire-Carrier/dp/B00SQ49S82
OUCH!! $514

I'd just have the tire only in the storage under the bed and coach net service would mount it...easy peazy.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry an unmounted spare. ERS will come change out and mount if need be. This way I won't have possible delays in obtaining a tire, have a mismatched tire, or pay a high price for a tire.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #13

We carried an unmounted spare in our mt. aire 2003 gaser (3778) to Alaska in 06. If that's what you have, found a spot in lower compartment behind the rear wheel. Has a pass through up and over the frame.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
I don't carry a spare but if i were to one day it would be the tire only. My coach net service would be able to mount the tire easily.

I do have 235/80-22.5 tires, didn't know they were hard to find.
Did you know no one but Michelin makes that size .NO one !
FarmerB4
FarmerB4 is offline   Reply With Quote